X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've heard the Cap 3 -> X-Apoc -> BvS order of ranking a lot for this year's comic book movies. Most people leave Deadpool off of the list for some reason.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Mine is like.....the opposite ahah
Well almost.... Deadpool ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>BvS -> Cap 3 ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Apoc

Edit:Oh right Deadpool.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Is everyone becoming miserable cunts in their old age?
I don't think that's the case at all, I just think that different people have different opinions is all, and as Lyrical said we almost all loved Deadpool and Cap 3. I mean, I just posted that I enjoyed Electra Woman & Dyna Girl well enough for what it was, so expectations do play a part, but Fox is capable of making a movie on par with Marvel in all aspects, and they don't. Instead they produce this, which to me wouldn't have been "great" even if the MCU never existed. X-Men 3 was almost universally panned and it was before the MCU even started, so it isn't just that we expect Marvel quality (although that probably is a factor now), it is that we want a good movie.

I'm sure I'm also becoming a miserable cunt, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that's the key secret to why a lot of people didn't like this movie. You liked it, and that's fine, I don't begrudge you that or feel a need to convince you otherwise, but sometimes it is really just a difference of opinion and not some systemic thing. For whatever reason you (and many others) thought this movie was decent, and I and a lot of others didn't.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think that's the case at all, I just think that different people have different opinions is all, and as Lyrical said we almost all loved Deadpool and Cap 3. I mean, I just posted that I enjoyed Electra Woman & Dyna Girl well enough for what it was, so expectations do play a part, but Fox is capable of making a movie on par with Marvel in all aspects, and they don't. Instead they produce this, which to me wouldn't have been "great" even if the MCU never existed. X-Men 3 was almost universally panned and it was before the MCU even started, so it isn't just that we expect Marvel quality (although that probably is a factor now), it is that we want a good movie.

I'm sure I'm also becoming a miserable cunt, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that's the key secret to why a lot of people didn't like this movie. You liked it, and that's fine, I don't begrudge you that or feel a need to convince you otherwise, but sometimes it is really just a difference of opinion and not some systemic thing. For whatever reason you (and many others) thought this movie was decent, and I and a lot of others didn't.
This movie didn't really cover any new material, and you knew they were going to win with the power of teamwork. If you look at Cap 3, probably the reason why it did so well was that it didn't follow the same formula. The same could be said for Deadpool. Xmen AOA would have been fine ten years ago, but the bar keeps getting raised when movies come out like Dark Knight, or IM1, Avengers 1, GoTG or Cap 3. AOA was nowhere near these movies in terms of quality. Hell, DoFP was much better than AOA.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't know why, but lately it seems like anything that isn't exceptional is panned as unwatchable garbage - not only by you guys, but by critics and journalists as well. I have a hard time understanding this philosophy. Is it because you're so highly principled that you won't tolerate anything less than 10/10? Is everyone becoming miserable cunts in their old age? Is it really that much easier to dogpile on mediocrity and proclaim it shit than to relax and accidentally be entertained?
Miserable cunts is probably the right answer.

They've been spoiled with things like the early MCU and Mad Max. The bar has been set very high the past couple years. But the internet echo chamber is also full of a bunch of miserable cunts. You can't discount that.

Devlin

Golden Squire
The problem with this movie is that it was boring and a lot of that is due to the characters not being engaging.

Is Mystique a hero? No.
Is Beast boring? Yes.
Is Angel boring? Yes.
Is Cyclops boring? Yes.
Was Apocalypse intimidating? No.
Was Wolverine part of the story? No.
Was Iceman in it? No.

The mistake these movies made was doing a half reboot. Putting members of the old cast in was fucking stupid. The Jean and Logan bit made Logan look like a total nonce.

The X-Men have a pretty great rogues gallery but Fox constantly ruin the depictions of them, who can forget their casting of Vinny fucking Jones as Juggernaut and now their softly spoken Apocalypse, I fully expect Mr Sinister to be played by Adam Sandler.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
The problem with this movie is that it was boring and a lot of that is due to the characters not being engaging.

Is Mystique a hero? No.
Is Beast boring? Yes.
Is Angel boring? Yes.
Is Cyclops boring? Yes.
Was Apocalypse intimidating? No.
Was Wolverine part of the story? No.
Was Iceman in it? No.

The mistake these movies made was doing a half reboot. Putting members of the old cast in was fucking stupid. The Jean and Logan bit made Logan look like a total nonce.

The X-Men have a pretty great rogues gallery but Fox constantly ruin the depictions of them, who can forget their casting of Vinny fucking Jones as Juggernaut and now their softly spoken Apocalypse, I fully expect Mr Sinister to be played by Adam Sandler.
Gilbert Godfret as Mr. Sinister is rumor

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jesus fuck, I totally spaced out and didn't even think about Iceman. Why the shit wasn't he in this!?!

Also, Quicksilver's scene once again stole the movie.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The overwhelming majority of us enjoyed Deadpool and Captain America 3 and said it. This movie was not that good. It also wasn't horrible, in my opinion. It was somewhere in the middle of BvS and Cap 3, quality wise.
This one had some flaws but I felt entertained enough. I didn't hate it. I didn't walk out with a nerd boner. It was a decent X-men movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jesus fuck, I totally spaced out and didn't even think about Iceman. Why the shit wasn't he in this!?!

B/C Iceman is now a gay. Fox has a no gay rule for superhero movies.

Xevy

Log Wizard

I think, even though the DoFP fucked with continuity, they're trying to keep the X-Men squad the same as it is during the first X-Men movie. So Jean, Storm, and Cyclops. Ice Man wasn't added until X-Men 2.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Miserable cunts is probably the right answer.

They've been spoiled with things like the early MCU andMad Max. The bar has been set very high the past couple years. But the internet echo chamber is also full of a bunch of miserable cunts. You can't discount that.
I dunno, I thought Mad Max was vastly over rated personally.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Anyone else think its a bit odd the Xavier school for the Gifted does not seem to be very handicap accessible ?