X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
should be universally agreed upon that xmen3 is horrible and did not happen.
Let's not pretend that the first two movies were good. They weren't. The first one was flat, lifeless and about as fun as watching someone try to put a square peg into a round hole repeatedly. The second one, was better than the first, but that does not make it good.

Days of Future Past was a legitimately good movie. Let's hope that Age of Apocalypse is at least the movie DoFP was. Please.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
saying 3 was horrible, doesn't make 1 and 2 good. were they good? they were ok for the times. i mean b4 xmen(1999) the best comic book movie was batman(89) (though spawn could be a contender), xmen did not make me cringe that much. (stupid darth maul, stupid halle barry, stupid dialog... eh)

but marvel was broke and dc is always lul cuz it's dc.

was x2 good? it would have been good if spiderman didn't come out a year earlier, b/c spiderman was the start of "oh shit comic book movies are awesome" even then both of them were in the realm of "eh it's an xmen movie, so many actors, so many characters, what're you gonna do", x3 was just "holy shit, they're just blatantly trying to milk my money right outta me?"

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
Eh for me X1 and X2 are both good movies which I have watched several times over the years, I thought they nailed the characters pretty well (that Storm dialogue scene in X1 still is underwhelming though).

Wolverine Movies are more like the round peg in a square hole, or even cat woman for me. It does not seem fair to put X1 in the same category.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Xmen 1 and 2 were bad movies sustained by good actors. X2 was passable because the action sequences were better and they focused on the actors who were worth watching. X3 was a total shitshow, from start to finish. Spiderman 2, Sin City, and Dark Knight probably set the bar for comic book movies, in terms of both being good and making bank. You have to go all the way back to Superman 2 to find the last universally hailed comic book movie that's still somewhat watchable in retrospect.

I would argue that Watchmen was fantastic, as well, but it was not a box office success. It was arguably the most visually stunning and it was extremely faithful to the source material. I think it will be one of those movies that stands the test of time, honestly.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Bunch of crazy people in this thread. X1 and X2 were, and still are, great movies. And it's not just nostalgia talking because I've seen both of them again fairly recently and enjoyed them just as much as I did originally.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Bunch of crazy people in this thread. X1 and X2 were, and still are, great movies. And it's not just nostalgia talking because I've seen both of them again fairly recently and enjoyed them just as much as I did originally.
Yep, hipsters be hating. Both X1 and X2 were hits when they came out and very popular. Both of them are 80+ on Rotten tomatoes (not perfect, but rarely does a movie get 80+ if its shit) and they also have held up.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
hugh jackman's body weren't that great in X1-X2 tho. that's like the first thing I noticed and it threw me off from the rest of the movies.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They were passable and X2 had what was (until the Quicksilver DOFP scene) one of the best comic book movie action sequences of all time. But can anyone honestly say with a straight face that either of those movies were better than Spiderman 2? Dark Knight? Sin City? Even within the same franchise First Class and DOFP were better movies and infinitely more rewatchable. Being a hater has nothing to do with it. They were just not that good, but they were entertaining for their time in a Tim Burton Batman 1 and 2 kind of way.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i must have watched DOFP 4 times by now and Quicksilver scene is spectacular and pretty much all the songs used in this movie were perfectly applied.

khalid

Unelected Mod
They were passable and X2 had what was (until the Quicksilver DOFP scene) one of the best comic book movie action sequences of all time. But can anyone honestly say with a straight face that either of those movies were better than Spiderman 2? Dark Knight? Sin City? Even within the same franchise First Class and DOFP were better movies and infinitely more rewatchable. Being a hater has nothing to do with it. They were just not that good, but they were entertaining for their time in a Tim Burton Batman 1 and 2 kind of way.
Comparing a movie to Dark Knight as the bar of what is a good movie is pretty crazy man.

Sure, they weren't as good as Dark Knight and maybe Spiderman 2, but I thought xmen-2 was better than Spiderman 1 and certainly FAR superior to the Tim Burton Batman's. X-men 2 I think is also much better than First Class, which had some awesome stuff (nazi hunting), also had some bunk.

Yes, DOFP is the best x-men so far, but that doesn't mean the other movies weren't good.

As far as the Quicksilver scene in DOFP, the conversations about that scene in the forums totally ruined it for me in the theatre for me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It isn't really fair to compare X1 & X2 to current movies either. Sure, compare it to Spiderman 2 or even Dark Knight, but comparing it to DOFP, Avengers, etc. is being unfair. They were very good (if not great) for the time they came out. Sure, they could have been even better, but compared to almost everything else we'd had for the past decade of similar background (I wouldn't include a movie like Blade here, even though I loved it, as it wasn't really so much a superhero movie), they were both damn good. I've watched them both a couple of times since, and while they aren't my favorite movies ever, I'm not sorry I watched them either.

Ten to twenty years from now they might have movies that just blow something like Avengers out of the water...but that isn't going to mean that suddenly Avengers is a bad movie. It's great right now, when it is fairly current, just like X1 & X2 were when they were current. Or at least very good.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I would argue that Watchmen was fantastic, as well, but it was not a box office success. It was arguably the most visually stunning and it was extremely faithful to the source material. I think it will be one of those movies that stands the test of time, honestly.
This is actually the first Blu-Ray that I ever purchased. I really loved this movie.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
the Watchmen is one of the worst movies ever created. anyone who doesn't agree admits that they love big blue cock in their face.