You know you're getting old when.....

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Still have my TI-83+ with all my algebra/geometry/calculus notes stored in it from 20 years ago. Pretty sure my daughter will need it in 15 years...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Roddsgto

Trakanon Raider
,8,1 was to tell it hard drive 1 on a C64. ,2 was if you had a second connected floppy drive. - as best that I remember. I also typed in the Dragon hunt game, which was many lines of basic for an ASCII dungeon troll game. with 3D first person shooter vision vs how Moria was top down. I can still program in lined basic because of this. My fav game was Dragon Riders of Pern.

1526075563714.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
8=floppy (rich bastards ;p ) and 1=casette (default)
8 was the drive, 1 was for loading a program into memory starting from a specified location and doesn't have anything to do with cassettes as the 2nd number. 1 did denote cassette drive as the first number though and 9 being a 2nd floppy drive.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
TO get back to the core topic and make it relevant to today's happenings elsewhere on the board. You know you're getting old when you remember the whole Tyen/Trex story and still get uncomfortable using a highlighter because of it.

• 1Like

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
8 was the drive, 1 was for loading a program into memory starting from a specified location and doesn't have anything to do with cassettes as the 2nd number. 1 did denote cassette drive as the first number though and 9 being a 2nd floppy drive.
Yeah, obviously I was talking about the first number. The second one was generally always a 1.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Did any of you guys ever use the matchmaking software Kali? I used to to play Warcraft 2 online pre battlenet. I think it worked for Duke Nukem and other games as well.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My fist computer was a commodore 64. I wish I'd had a fucking disk. Had to enter the program for the game every time someone unplugged it.

But mainly I wanted to say, wolf3d was the shit. If I had a computer that could run it, I'd still play it today. I wonder if tyen could turn it into a phone app.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My fist computer was a commodore 64. I wish I'd had a fucking disk. Had to enter the program for the game every time someone unplugged it.

But mainly I wanted to say, wolf3d was the shit. If I had a computer that could run it, I'd still play it today. I wonder if tyen could turn it into a phone app.

Ahem....
Wolfenstein 3D

Your welcome.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I think it was pole position that loaded off the datasette ( tape player drive ) and would take 17 minutes to load.

You would plan to use the time as a break in the gaming to get some food, take toilet breaks, make a phone call, catch some sunlight.

Later we were able to afford floppy drives so we had no more of that waiting.