You know you're getting old when.....

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You remember when

CNN covered news
MTV showed music videos
ESPN talked about sports
Weather channel covered weather

If you remember that, you're old.

The History channel was actually the Hitler/WWII channel....

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
You remember when

CNN covered news
MTV showed music videos
ESPN talked about sports

The Food Network had cooking shows

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amir

Vyemm Raider
You know you're getting the old when...

You remember back in the day days Yo MTV Raps was minority hour. :rolleyes:

• 1Like

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
I remember when Nickelodeon went off the air at 5PM and became A&E until the next day.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You really know you are old when you remember when TV stations (most didn't have cable) turned off at late night and played the national anthem at sign off.

Before we got MTV it was Friday night videos.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Remember the cable boxes with the 3 channel toggle and the 10 buttons to let you swap between the 30 cable channels. Manually.

I do.
Fuck I am old.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Remember the cable boxes with the 3 channel toggle and the 10 buttons to let you swap between the 30 cable channels. Manually.

I do.
Fuck I am old.

damn, i had one of these too....
CIkWxJV.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was luke skywalker from star track, dumbass. Do you even scifi?

He was their last, best hope!

You remember when

CNN covered news
MTV showed music videos
ESPN talked about sports

And when TLC, History, and Discovery had learning, history, and science :(

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Basically... remember when TV wasn't shit? I do.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
And when TLC, History, and Discovery had learning, history, and science :(

TV is shit, but Netflix is bomb. It has most of the PBS and BBC learning docus. Now if they could add the History stuff that's actually history, that'd be cool.

That being said, getting old cuz I'm watching tons of learning documentaries on Netflix...

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I remember when Nickelodeon went off the air at 5PM and became A&E until the next day.

I remember nick becoming nick at night and then later tvland in the evening. So either you're so old your memory is shot or you just remember a time earlier than I can. Either way you must have been around when dirt was new.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
...you went to Toys-R-Us and got the paper slip to hand to an employee to go in the walk-in space to trade your paper slip for the actual video game.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
...you went to Toys-R-Us and got the paper slip to hand to an employee to go in the walk-in space to trade your paper slip for the actual video game.

I've had to do this at Sam's less than a year ago....

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
From the almighty and infallible Wikipedia:
“In January 1985, A&E moved to its own dedicated transponder and began delivering its programming 24 hours a day, while Nickelodeon replaced the vacated A&E programming with a classic television block, Nick at Nite, on July 1 of that year. However, some cable providers continued to carry Nickelodeon and A&E on the same channel and would usually switch over to A&E at 8:00 p.m. Eastern. It was not until the early 1990s, when providers began installing advanced headend equipment that allowed for expanded channel capacity, that these companies allocated separate channels for both networks.”

I just checked, and the dirt outside is more than 33 years old. But holy fuck, typing that that was 33 years ago sure turned the hurt on.

• 1Like

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Had to check the UHF channels for the good shit like wrestling. Cable was called On Tv and had one fucking channel. The only console was pong. Your dad peeled off a tab to drink beer. Your department store had a diner counter near the clothes . And if you were really lucky a Bobs big boy.

“Because fuck you. That’s why”. Was sticking your quarter on the cabinet right in front of the current player after a bad move but before their game was over.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't start to watch the Simpsons until they had their own show, and only found out about the shorts in the early 2000s (never watched but two or three), but hot damn I'm glad Matt Goering either learned to draw better (or more likely outsourced the drawing to someone more qualified).

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The saddest one is when TLC had educational and interesting shows.

From this:
Connections said:
Connections explores an "Alternative View of Change" (the subtitle of the series) that rejects the conventional linear and teleological view of historical progress. Burke contends that one cannot consider the development of any particular piece of the modern world in isolation. Rather, the entire gestalt of the modern world is the result of a web of interconnected events, each one consisting of a person or group acting for reasons of their own motivations (e.g., profit, curiosity, religion) with no concept of the final, modern result to which the actions of either them or their contemporaries would lead.

to this:
Paranormal Lockdown said:
The series features Nick Groff, a paranormal investigator who is "on a mission to discover something new in the paranormal field", and paranormal researcher Katrina Weidman who will both spend 72 hours together locked down in the most haunted locations. They will be staying with the dead at these reportedly haunted places, many of which have never been filmed for a production. And some locations will be investigated for the first time on television. Groff and Weidman believe, that "the longer they stay, the more the spirits will communicate with them and the more information they can gather about the unknown".

This is what 40 years of advancement has gotten us :(
(fucking Connections was first released in 1978 apparently, goddamn feeling old indeed)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like