2019 NFL Post Season Thread - Rams vs. Patriots for SuperBowl

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not only does Montana not have an NFL team, it's not even bordered by a state that has one. For this reason I think you should get to root for any team you want if you live here.

Yeah should be pretty obvious that a lot of places don't have teams to root for.

When I was little, a bunch of asshole kids jumped on the 49er bandwagon out of nowhere so I went Dallas because fuck those kids. Noticed the same thing around 2011ish when suddenly a bunch of assholes I never knew even liked football were suddenly life long 49er fans again.

My 49er hatred has cooled a bit since I mysteriously haven't met any 49er fans around here in the last few years

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
When I was a kid we moved around a lot since my father was in the military. I ended up latching onto teams that were on TV a lot in the 80s with star players. I'm sure that sort of thng happened a lot. The Marino Dolphins, Don Mattingly Yankees, and the Gervin Spurs primarily. I think that happens a lot. Kids find some team to bandwagon, but end up sticking with them even when they later become shitty. Of course there's going to be fair weather shitbirds too, but fuck those people.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I grew up in Los Angeles area. Rams and Raiders were my local teams. I never liked the Raiders but always liked the Rams. The Rams bailed on me/LA and the Chargers were the only SoCal team left. For that I apparently must suffer as a fan forever.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
I moved to Tampa in 88 or 89 and somehow stuck with the Bucs. They went from 1982 to 1996 without winning more than 7 games in a season, it wasn't til they got the new uniforms in Dungy's second season (1997) that they finally went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Their draft that year was insane -- Warrick Dunn, Ronde Barber, and Al Harris. Harris never got a chance with the Bucs (practice squad his draft year and claimed off waivers by the Eagles the next) but he still ended up having a great career. The previous draft years? 1996 -- Donnie Abraham and some guy named Mike Alstott. 1995 -- Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks. Plus they drafted John Lynch in 1993. Once the gang all got together they had a pretty great run from 97-02.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Considering the Chiefs played a significantly flawed game on the road against the Patriots 3 months ago without Justin Houston and only lost by 3, I feel pretty good about their chances this weekend. Also, through Patrick Mahomes all things are possible.

• 2Like

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Not only does Montana not have an NFL team, it's not even bordered by a state that has one. For this reason I think you should get to root for any team you want if you live here.

I thought the Broncos were popular there.

My point is that I don't like front runners. Having said that, maybe I wouldn't have developed my love for the Chiefs if Derrick Thomas wasn't murdering quarterbacks on my TV every Sunday; I cant say for certain.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I thought the Broncos were popular there.

They are, with some Seahawks, Vikings, and Packers fans mixed in. That said, I don't think you owe any allegiance to a team that's 500 miles away even if they are the closest team. I chose the 49ers when I was a kid mostly because of Joe Montana's name and because my Dad liked them. I definitely started out as a frontrunner but now that I've stuck with them through the last 20 years of shit (with 2 good years with Harbaugh mixed in) and I actually lived in the Bay Area for 10 of those years, I feel pretty respectable now.

• 2Like

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
You get an automatic pass if your father liked a team when you were a kid. Everyone knows that rule.

• 4Solidarity

Pops

You get an automatic pass if your father liked a team when you were a kid. Everyone knows that rule.
Haha. I posted my dad's booze box, for the Clev - Pitt game, a rare night game back then, for these bitter rivals. But Jim Brown and the Browns have a special place in my heart. We lived in Brecksville, Ohio.

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
The DC area is filled with faggot cowboy fans. Not that the Redskins are worthy of anyones fandom. But the huge masses of cowboy fans who grew up in DC/Maryland is gross. They are all the absolute worst kind of people, most do not even like sports, they just like to argue and get railed in the ass.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I was reading an article today, and I think this is about the only thing that gives me hope that the Chiefs can beat the Patriots on Sunday

Tom Brady on the road is different from Tom Brady at home: This year’s AFC title runs through Kansas City, not Foxborough. Brady is 28-10 as a playoff quarterback, the greatest record ever. But he’s not used to being on the road in January. He has a 3-4 record on the road in the playoffs, and believe it or not, he hasn’t won a road playoff game since 2006.

Brady is in his eighth consecutive AFC championship game. During that stretch, he’s played a title game on the road only twice, losing to the Denver Broncos in the 2013 and 2016 seasons.

On the road, Brady is almost human. In home playoff games, his touchdown-to-interception ratio is an incredible 46-to-18. In those seven road playoff games, it’s 8-to-8. In this matchup, Brady’s challenge is trying to minimize the Chiefs’ pass rush trio of Justin Houston, Dee Ford and Chris Jones. It won’t be easy, as Andrew Luck found out Saturday in the Colts’ loss to Kansas City.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
With Patrick Mahomes, all things are possible. I thought the Chiefs looked decent playing man coverage against the Colts which, if replicated, hypothetically will make it easier for Ford, Jones and Houston to knock Tom's dick into the dirt.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Born in Florida, dad loved the Dolphins. I haven't lived in that crazy ass state for 40 years but I'll always cheers for my shitty team. This time, it will be different!! Grier!!!

Chiefs have a chance especially with how that D played this week. Just need someone to lock Reid up somewhere if it's close in the 4th and he needs to make decisions.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The one thing that I have hated about the chiefs defense isn't scheme choices, blown coverages, guys biting on fakes or misjudging receiver routes... It's the tackling. It has been so bad some games (and definitely part of why their run defense sucks). How many goddamn times would Ron Parker make a stupid lunge or try a bad strip that he would whiff on and allow 20 more yards... Ugh. If they make their tackles, they can win.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was reading an article today, and I think this is about the only thing that gives me hope that the Chiefs can beat the Patriots on Sunday

To provide a little context, since his last road win @chargers in '06, he's only played 3 road games in the playoffs since then (up to now). The AFC Championship game @Colts in '06, in which he had his team up 21-6 at halftime, 28-21 going into the 4th quarter, and 34-31 with 3:49 to play (they lost 38-34).

Next road game was 2013 @Denver, against the #1 defense and #2 offense in the entire league...Denver won 26-16.

The final road game was in 2015, also @Denver, who had the #1 offense in the league that year, and featured Von Miller with 2.5 sacks in a 20-18 loss in which Brady was hit something like 15 times and under siege all game. Down 20-12 Brady threw a TD to Gronk with 12 seconds left to play, but they failed the 2 point conversion that would have sent the game to OT.

Btw the opposing QB in all 3 of those games/losses was Peyton Manning.

None of this isn't to say he's not better at home in the playoffs, just that 3 of the 4 (and each of the last 3) were against another all time great QB, and against one of the better defenses we've seen in that Denver D in the final two losses (ironically his other road playoff loss back in '05 was also at Denver, which we know can be a tougher place to play at for altitude reasons).

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
To provide a little context, since his last road win @chargers in '06, he's only played 3 road games in the playoffs since then (up to now). The AFC Championship game @Colts in '06, in which he had his team up 21-6 at halftime, 28-21 going into the 4th quarter, and 34-31 with 3:49 to play (they lost 38-34).

Next road game was 2013 @Denver, against the #1 defense and #2 offense in the entire league...Denver won 26-16.

The final road game was in 2015, also @Denver, who had the #1 offense in the league that year, and featured Von Miller with 2.5 sacks in a 20-18 loss in which Brady was hit something like 15 times and under siege all game. Down 20-12 Brady threw a TD to Gronk with 12 seconds left to play, but they failed the 2 point conversion that would have sent the game to OT.

None of this isn't to say he's not better at home in the playoffs, just that 3 of the 4 (and each of the last 3) were against another all time great QB, and against one of the better defenses we've seen in that Denver D in the final two losses (ironically his other road playoff loss back in '05 was also at Denver, which we know can be a tougher place to play at for altitude reasons).

Man, forgot how much the greater Manning would bitch slap Brady around in the playoffs as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man, forgot how much the greater Manning would bitch slap Brady around in the playoffs as well.

It's actually funny, Peyton started 0-2 against Brady in the playoffs (throwing 1 TD and 5 picks combined in those games), but won his final 3 meetings against him (throwing 5 TD and 1 Int combined in those games).

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

2015 Broncos offense was awful. No fucking way they were number 1.