2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you're going into full rebuild mode then having Watson around for one more year only makes your draft position worse. No way he's going to hang around for 3 or 4 years while you rebuild the roster so who cares if you're in salary cap hell when you can just fire sale all of your expensive players for draft picks, bring in some sacrificial Brian Hoyer/Nick Mullens type dude to play quarterback for cheap next year and and add 5 or 6 first round guys in the next couple of years, one of which is a QB which you can get with your top 5 pick in 2022 since your team is going to suck hardcore.

• 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If Watson was a borderline top 10 QB or an older great, I think there's no question you facilitate a trade. He's better than that, though. If he can never get his mind right with being in Houston, there's almost zero chance things will ever be good and lead to success, but I think ownership probably feels it's worth playing chicken with him given how much contract control they have over him.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He has to be careful here. Look at an idiot like LeVeon Bell, who sat out a season basically at the height of his powers, and was never the same after, not even close. I understand RB is way different than the QB position, but I dont think he should go too hard with not wanting to be in Houston to the point where he hurts his own value.

Who knows, it looks like Houston wont trade him though.

Fadaar

That guy
He has to be careful here. Look at an idiot like LeVeon Bell, who sat out a season basically at the height of his powers, and was never the same after, not even close. I understand RB is way different than the QB position, but I dont think he should go too hard with not wanting to be in Houston to the point where he hurts his own value.

If I was Watson I'd show up and cash those game checks every week. No reason to piss money away.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
There are no savings to be had. Period. End of story. He isn't being traded in 2021. 2022 maybe 23 or 24 then it can happen.
Your understanding of the salary cap is just comical. You are so hyper focused on one small portion of the overall cap this year, and that no matter what they can't get any savings this year from trading him. That will not preclude them from trading him. As others in the thread have stated, I am not saying he will get traded, but the cap reasons you keep citing are not why he won't get traded.
If you were the decision maker for the Texans, would you trade Watson for a small amount of savings and then begin rolling the dice again in hopes of landing a better franchise qb?

If you don't say no you are a liar.
If I was the decision maker I would be doing everything I could to repair the relationship with Watson and keep him in house. Barring that being able to be fixed, I would take the kings ransom that they can get for him, and look to the future and full rebuild. And then really hope you find your next QB.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

You even know how awful this sounds as an analogy.

QB and RB aren't even in the same ball park like you said. Bell was on a good/great tier team. Bell signed with a shit tier team, as a RB. He had no shot of changing a teams tier as a RB. Hell, Barry Sanders couldn't do it when his team hit shit tier.

Watson is already shit tier. At worst he goes to a shit tier team, and it means pretty much nothing will change for him but the scenery and probably owners who will do as he asks offensively to make it work with their new boy toy. OR he gets traded to a mid tier team where things look up slightly or he even pulls a Tom Brady and wins it all!

Jet, Jags etc, pick a shit tier team, all have great young talent and lots of draft capital AFTER making the trade still. (Assuming we are talking a couple 1st and seconds a couple years). Most importantly they have lots of cap space.

Watson really can't lose by being traded. IF Houston trades him. If they can haul in as much as three 1sts, they would be pants on head stoopid not to take that over a disgruntled QB.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So that is was an interesting topic I heard discussed on the radio a few weeks back.

But he would not only shit can $156m but also any chance of him going to the HoF.

Back to his contract, the texans will still own the rights to him until he was destined to become a Ufa.

No one expects him to sit out the whole year. Just enough to fuck Houston over more than the cold did. Imagine him sitting out "injured" 8 games or whatever it is, the length of his contract. Man he would be hated like Watt was loved.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Houston still has a lot of control here and I’d use it. Go to the Jets and say, three 1sts and two other assets gets you in the playoff discussion every year no matter how well you play. There is no way the Jets balk and if Watson does, leak it. Make him the bad guy.

Keeping a disgruntled QB when BOB and Easterby have already fucked up your talent pool isn’t going to get you back in the playoffs. Even if he does play, you butchered your draft and his contract will butcher your FA for a while. Just move on and milk the Jets as much as possible.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Some of these trade proposals that the talking heads come up with are crazy. Peter King thinks the 49ers should go all in for Watson, which I agree as well. But man trading someone like Warner away with this would be a really, really tough pill to swallow. You also have to wonder how it affects the locker room.

Peter King Proposal: Seven-for-1. Garoppolo, linebacker Fred Warner (that really hurts), tackle Mike McGlinchey, first-round picks in 2021 (12th overall) and 2022, plus a second-round pick in 2021 and third-round pick in 2022 for Watson. It’s a lot for the Niners to pay; of all the players in all the deals I’m proposing, Warner would be the most coveted one in my book. But he’s here because he is entering the final year of his rookie contract and would want a new deal. (McGlinchey is in exact same position, too.) Houston could view them as cornerstones for the rebuild.

• 1WTF

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Some of these trade proposals that the talking heads come up with are crazy. Peter King thinks the 49ers should go all in for Watson, which I agree as well. But man trading someone like Warner away with this would be a really, really tough pill to swallow. You also have to wonder how it affects the locker room.

Not gonna lie. I’m hoping you guys get him but damn if that’s not way too much. If you’re giving 3 players that could be cornerstones for the rebuild, I’d cut the compensation to two 1sts and maybe a 3rd. No one can really compete with the 2nd offer anyway outside of a couple teams and Jimmy G is better than Darnild,etc

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
I'm just glad the Bucs got one with Brady that cost them nothing but a 4th rd pick to trade for Gronk. If Brady had gone elsewhere I could totally see them being in the running for the Deshaun rape-your-future-draft-picks Watson.

• 2Like

Jozu

Moving Warner would hurt.....but if you could actually get Watson? I think you have to do it.

Animosity

Moving Warner would hurt.....but if you could actually get Watson? I think you have to do it.
Agreed. Its been proven that an elite QB is way more valuable and needed for success than an elite defensive player, especially a linebacker. The Rams are a prime example.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Fucking LOL. If the 49ers were to even contemplate this...

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that's just ridiculous from the 49ers standpoint. Shanahan likes Cousins but giving up anything more than Garropolo for him would be stupid, let alone a first round pick. Even just the first round pick is a stretch for Cousins.

• 1Like

Animosity

There was a similar trade like this that had the Seahawks in it trading away Russ, and getting the worst end of the deal. Whoever thinks of these is just dumb. Kirk is better than Jimmy G but not enough to get rid of other assets.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users