2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, his one win against the Saints (admittedly good) and complete inability to do anything offensively against the Giants the following week is a pretty amazing record :rolleyes: . Even fucking goddamn Kaepernick had a way better playoff record than that.

I would agree that at their "peaks" they are roughly the same. Alex had less turnover potential, but he couldn't push the ball downfield to save his life. Jimmy has a lot higher turnover potential, but can actually connect on a deep pass occasionally.
You forget Kaepernick road to those playoff games on Smiths success.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You forget Kaepernick road to those playoff games on Smiths success.

Eh, 6-2 and 5-2-1, Kaep actually beat Brady on the road that year, as well. Obviously San Fran D was great that year, too...at least until the playoffs when they gave up 24+ every game.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Eh, 6-2 and 5-2-1, Kaep actually beat Brady on the road that year, as well. Obviously San Fran D was great that year, too...at least until the playoffs when they gave up 24+ every game.
That was a good team and Smith had an over 70% completion% that year.

• 1Like

Merrith

I'm sure he did, Smith not exactly known for pushing it downfield. There's a reason everyone in fantasy picked up JD McKissic as soon as Smith was starting for the Football Team. 2nd most receptions by a RB in the league this year.

Merrith

I should say Chanur Chanur , I think both of them played very well that year. I'm not sure Smith does as well in some of the shootouts the playoff games turned into.

Sterling

El Presidente
Seems like a lot of effort to compare 2 mostly average players at different stages of their careers.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I'm sure he did, Smith not exactly known for pushing it downfield. There's a reason everyone in fantasy picked up JD McKissic as soon as Smith was starting for the Football Team. 2nd most receptions by a RB in the league this year.
Bro you talk about Smith on the team who shall not earn a name like it means anything. Thats 6 years later. Yeah they both played really well though. Helps to have a great team.

Merrith

Bro you talk about Smith on the team who shall not earn a name like it means anything. Thats 6 years later. Yeah they both played really well though. Helps to have a great team.

Not like the throwing short, game manager throws was just a last year thing, though. Other than the KC years where he aired it out a little more (although nowhere near as much as Mahomes does in that offense), Smith has been known his whole career as a guy who throws shorter/safer stuff.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Not like the throwing short, game manager throws was just a last year thing, though. Other than the KC years where he aired it out a little more (although nowhere near as much as Mahomes does in that offense), Smith has been known his whole career as a guy who throws shorter/safer stuff.
Not being as dynamic as Mahomes is hardly a fair criticism since literally no one is.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

C'mon now. Neither of them ever had 3400 yards in a season until Smith played for the Chiefs. Kaepernick beat teams with his legs like he did the Packers. It wasn't Rocket Arm Passer vs Game Manager Man. It was inferior Lamar Jackson vs Game Manager Man.

Merrith

Not being as dynamic as Mahomes is hardly a fair criticism since literally no one is.

This is true, although even given that, the differences/gap between them has been pretty stark. He just at least didn't check it down quite as much with KC.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
This is true, although even given that, the differences/gap between them has been pretty stark. He just at least didn't check it down quite as much with KC.
He was younger then too. He got to Washington in year like 13 of his career.

• 1Like

Merrith

C'mon now. Neither of them ever had 3400 yards in a season until Smith played for the Chiefs. Kaepernick beat teams with his legs like he did the Packers. It wasn't Rocket Arm Passer vs Game Manager Man. It was inferior Lamar Jackson vs Game Manager Man.

Oh I was comparing Mahomes with the Chiefs v. Smith with the Chiefs. But even Kaepernick on average looked to throw downfield on his passes more than Smith did.

I'd actually be curious to know what Lamar's air yards stats are, b/c he does dump it off a good bit but also has hit some deep stuff down the field to Hollywood and Andrews in his career.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So the Trent Williams contract is actually pretty great. He is all but locked in for the next 4 years, but years 5 and 6 are very manageable to get out of if needed. While a $6M dead cap hit isn't ideal, it would be very doable.

View attachment 342834
I told you this was a great contract for our wonderful team. It's totally not going to bite the 49ers in the ass at all.

Merrith

I think the TW contract is a little crazy for a guy who hasn't played a full 16 games since 2013, but he made it through 14 last year which is above average for him.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I forgot where Smith led the 49ers back, down 17-0 against the Falcons in the NFC Championship. He must've been riding that "amazing" defense in that game, where Whitner and Goldson looked absolutely fucking confused by Julio Jones. Or when he beat the brakes off of Green Bay twice and smoked one of the best defenses in the league in the '13 Carolina Panthers. Then was one play from back-to-back Super Bowls against arguably one of the best teams/defenses of all-time in the '13 Seahawks. Smith's record is dogshit in comparison if you want to compare 49er to 49er.

I absolutely love when non-49er fans talk about how fucking solid Alex Smith is, like we didn't watch the guy completely bumble fuck his way through most games in SF and had exactly ONE playoff victory to show for it. The guy was a total clownshow until Harbaugh showed up.

• 1Picard