2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasnt that Browns team a playoff team or did really well? Hard to remember back that far but I know they had 1 decent year.

But yea, the NFL is an unknown bro. Fans who read draft shit always talk the chalk

Look at 17

How many teams would not in hindsight draft Patrick Mahomes now before the Chiefs pick at 10? You could argue every single team would be retarded to not do that, even with pro bowlers like Garrett. That many teams got it dead wrong. Regardless of their QB situation, if those guys could see the future they would likely ALL take him. Look at all the shit teams in this draft who need a QB this year. Many of them missed then too.

It's a crazy process.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wasnt that Browns team a playoff team or did really well? Hard to remember back that far but I know they had 1 decent year.

But yea, the NFL is an unknown bro. Fans who read draft shit always talk the chalk

Look at 17

How many teams would not in hindsight draft Patrick Mahomes now before the Chiefs pick at 10? You could argue every single team would be retarded to not do that, even with pro bowlers like Garrett. That many teams got it dead wrong. Regardless of their QB situation, if those guys could see the future they would likely ALL take him. Look at all the shit teams in this draft who need a QB this year. Many of them missed then too.

It's a crazy process.

They (2007 Cleveland) went 10-6 but lost division tiebreaker and a wild card tiebreaker. That sucks.

I'll say this, there were some that thought Mahomes went too high in that draft (at the time). I remember QB rankings for that draft being all over the place. I can't hate on the Garrett pick because he's been a monster when he isn't trying to kill Steeler QB's with a helmet. But yeah, clearly in hindsight, every team that picked 1-9 in that draft would take Mahomes instead, hands down.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And just to illustrate my point with the draft day thing for fun. Y'all see this shit? Kid has a fucking arm.

Draft day lets pretend no trades happened. This scenario isnt outrageous or anything.

What if the Jags who were thought to be on Lawrence all along but over time with pro days etc it changes and this kind of thing in the video above convinces them to take Wilson at 1? The Jets liked Justin Fields all along, they think he is the next Mahomes and stick with their dude.

So now the Fins are sitting really fucking pretty and have *multiple* team who all think Trevor Lawrence is the next fucking goat and Jax and the Jets are retarded. Weird stuff has happened in the past like this. They could end up with the 49ers trade ++++, its not like SF isnt going to be sitting there not needing a QB right? What if SF assumed Lawrence isnt there either and you could get more? I just think its smart to wait and maximize your position.

But yea, its wild to read Chiefs accounts of drafting Mahomes and they are like, "ummmmmmm, I guess nobody saw what we did?" I mean, now we are all believers and you wouldnt question it but they got blasted for that pick by the *experts* and media/fans etc. KC fans were not happy on draft day.

Edit: going back and reading some of these grades lol

USA Today:

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)​

Grade: C-​

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

Mel Kiper: C+

The other ESPN genius Terd McShay, their QB guru had Mahomes at 85 on his 100 point scale graded below Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, and Mark Sanchez (lol 96 buttfumble)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And, you know, for all the misses just on the talent aspect of it and how it relates to where/who they played, there's so much that happens after the draft. The pressures of being a high profile person, responsibility of leading a team, the different coaches and their schemes, how much the team around them sucks or is great, and for some of them just moving away from family can be a big change. So, yeah, it's why even the best drafters over time are not that much better than the worst.

I do remember KC largely did hate the Mahomes pick. Consensus was something like, "Yeah, maybe he'll be able to take over from Smith one day, but we're a playoff team looking to win the SB NOW and this didn't help!" Haha.

The year he took over, before the season, KC radio talking heads would have a heated argument about whether he'd get to 25 TDs or not, heh.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone really think that justin Fields can turn into a Patrick Mahomes lite?

I dont.

Is Zach Wilson real? I just am not sold on any of this year QB's besides Lawrence.

Maybe Lance turns into a Russel Wilson type player who is dynamic and provides massive value on his rookie deal. But out of the big 4 QB's in this years draft, history says 3 will flop.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
12th pick you say? Great QBs *never* drop past those picks. Teams miss all the fucking time and let good players drop(see below) or the consensus is dead fucking wrong (also see below). Ryan Leaf + an untold amount of other shit QBs were drafted higher than these guys. Even if someone *is* considered a top pick sometimes teams just dont pick them, regardless of how they turn out. Plus not *all* the top teams picking need a QB and you dont even have to worry about those teams. Point is its still better to wait and see because crazy shit happens on draft day, especially when teams are on the clock.

Avatar bet on top 3 picks is retarded because we dont know if they will ever be good or were as good as advertised until at least a few years into their careers. I give zero fucks about some bet picking the blue chips that turn out as duds. All it proves is team X missed bigtime.

gettyimages-1294332705.jpg

beaf3a8c3183447892633bb5c81570cf.jpg

I don't understand how this is so hard for you. I never mentioned a top QB dropping and using the incredibly rare 'Look at Aaron Rodgers!!" from SIXTEEN YEARS ago means nothing today. I'd use the more recent Jackson. I stated the 49'ers want what they consider is a top 2-3 QB and don't think he will be there at 12. Dolphins want a specific guy or two and don't think they will be there at 12. It's a really fucking simple concept and I agree with them. Doing it on draft day and hoping you 'get lucky!' is pretty fucking poor planning.

Most of these guys are probably control freaks. I'm surprised others haven't don't this more often. Plan ahead, ensure you pick where you want as much as possible without extra outliers. Don't decide in the 10 minute window, decide a month earlier. Waiting until draft day and saying, "Let's roll the dice on my job!" every year seems stupid. Good jobs, Grier, Roseman, and Lynch!

Sterling

El Presidente
Obviously the draft isn't perfect. Also obvious you're going to have some outliers. There's going to be very good players late in round 1, or even in other rounds of the draft. That and the quality of the team drafting them matters. That being said if you took the average quality of player over the last 15 drafts and compared say picks 1-5 and picks 28-32 as an aggregate I'm reasonably sure that the first group is going to be way better. This seems like an obvious no shit kind of thing, but people talking about it like draft position barely matters or something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You never know.

Maybe Fields does turn into a Pro Bowl QB. Maybe he turns into a sack and pick machine. Wilson same deal. It could go either way. I find it hard to believe that Lawrence will just somehow be a bust though. He has put a lot on tape and has the tools to succeed in the NFL. No reason he cant come in and have a Joe Burrow type rookie season.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
We can armchair GM all we want because it costs us nothing. Our multi-million dollar jobs aren't on the line. We can call out obvious fuck-ups but as Genjiro noted, the draft is crazy. These guys want the best chance at winning a luck based game. Using Rodgers, what if he had been drafted 3rd by the Browns? Would he have been as successful? Thrown out immediately into that shitstorm? Maybe, maybe not. What about Mahomes? What if he had went 4th to Jax or 6th to the Jets? Look at how the best college QB maybe ever was injured at Cincy because they didn't protect him. It's all luck based but you want to up your odds.

The draft is crazy and there are dozens of misses by experts and GMs every year. With that said, in a QB centric league, QBs usually go faster than slower. Especially after the Rodgers fuck up. Especially after Jackson and Mahomes. These mistakes only reinforce that if you hadn't sat on your ass, you'd have Mahomes, or Jackson. That people eventually lost their high paid cushy jobs because they picked Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams all in the top 5 of that draft. Lynch upped his odds early and he put incredible pressure on the Jets and other teams.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
And just to illustrate my point with the draft day thing for fun. Y'all see this shit? Kid has a fucking arm.

Draft day lets pretend no trades happened. This scenario isnt outrageous or anything.

What if the Jags who were thought to be on Lawrence all along but over time with pro days etc it changes and this kind of thing in the video above convinces them to take Wilson at 1? The Jets liked Justin Fields all along, they think he is the next Mahomes and stick with their dude.

So now the Fins are sitting really fucking pretty and have *multiple* team who all think Trevor Lawrence is the next fucking goat and Jax and the Jets are retarded. Weird stuff has happened in the past like this. They could end up with the 49ers trade ++++, its not like SF isnt going to be sitting there not needing a QB right? What if SF assumed Lawrence isnt there either and you could get more? I just think its smart to wait and maximize your position.

But yea, its wild to read Chiefs accounts of drafting Mahomes and they are like, "ummmmmmm, I guess nobody saw what we did?" I mean, now we are all believers and you wouldnt question it but they got blasted for that pick by the *experts* and media/fans etc. KC fans were not happy on draft day.

Edit: going back and reading some of these grades lol

USA Today:

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)​

Grade: C-​

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

Mel Kiper: C+

The other ESPN genius Terd McShay, their QB guru had Mahomes at 85 on his 100 point scale graded below Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, and Mark Sanchez (lol 96 buttfumble)

Holy fuck! Wow did they ever get that wrong!

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
As a thing Ronnie Brown was a beast until his injury and was just never the same after it.

He was an awesome 'QB' of the wildcat. I'll leave it at that. Ricky was better even with all the drama and suspensions.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There is a lot that goes into picking a good qb. The mosy important things in my opinion are his ability to read the defense and stand tall to make the plays when requires. Arm strength and height and all that crap barely matters in my opinion. Then it comes down to team and offense style. Some QBs are not hall of fame guys but would be good to border line great in the right offenses. How ever more often than not the coaches force the QB into their play style and end up dog shit.

In the end they have more going against a new QB than for them.

• 2Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't understand how this is so hard for you. I never mentioned a top QB dropping and using the incredibly rare 'Look at Aaron Rodgers!!" from SIXTEEN YEARS ago means nothing today. I'd use the more recent Jackson. I stated the 49'ers want what they consider is a top 2-3 QB and don't think he will be there at 12. Dolphins want a specific guy or two and don't think they will be there at 12. It's a really fucking simple concept and I agree with them. Doing it on draft day and hoping you 'get lucky!' is pretty fucking poor planning.

Most of these guys are probably control freaks. I'm surprised others haven't don't this more often. Plan ahead, ensure you pick where you want as much as possible without extra outliers. Don't decide in the 10 minute window, decide a month earlier. Waiting until draft day and saying, "Let's roll the dice on my job!" every year seems stupid. Good jobs, Grier, Roseman, and Lynch!
Holy shit is this that hard? Stop eating glue. I used Rodgers since its the most glaring outside of the obvious, but there are a fuckton of examples and didnt feel like listing them all. Hi Russel Wilson?

And yea herpderp there are NO GMs we can think of who are good at doing what I just fucking said and fleecing teams in the draft, right? Nah. None. The reason you just listed as Brilliant analysis! is why all these shitass teams continually draft at the top every year.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You know just because you said something in this thread and a bunch of people disagreed with you doesn't mean you have to defend it like it's your PHD thesis. It's possible that they made a mistake. It's possible that they didn't. We'll never know the answer. Who gives a fuck?

itssotiresome.gif

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's more likely that multiple things are true. GM's fuck up in the draft all the time...and there's going to be some QB's taken early this year.

• 1Like