Altered Carbon

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente
Just watched the Resleeved anime thing and it was ok. Very predictable, but it was mostly fine.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
The anime was better than season 2 that’s for damn sure.

Fucking alien bats. If you don’t have the budget to show more than four set pieces, make sure your cyberpunk futuristic story is told almost exclusively on sets of underground caves and ‘out in the woods’.

If you’re expecting a gutter level GCD out of the viewership make sure that your AI are virtually indistinguishable from humans and talk about technology in terms the mouth breathers will understand...’My system is experiencing lag!’ Make sure any tech-based character can macguffin his way to relevance by ‘infiltrating systems’ and hand waving at menu screens. Poe spends an entire season trying to pad the run time, just to find out that they didn’t have the budget to shoot more than two scenes with Neal McDonough. Dave’s not here, man.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The anime was better than season 2 that’s for damn sure.

Fucking alien bats. If you don’t have the budget to show more than four set pieces, make sure your cyberpunk futuristic story is told almost exclusively on sets of underground caves and ‘out in the woods’.

If you’re expecting a gutter level GCD out of the viewership make sure that your AI are virtually indistinguishable from humans and talk about technology in terms the mouth breathers will understand...’My system is experiencing lag!’ Make sure any tech-based character can macguffin his way to relevance by ‘infiltrating systems’ and hand waving at menu screens. Poe spends an entire season trying to pad the run time, just to find out that they didn’t have the budget to shoot more than two scenes with Neal McDonough. Dave’s not here, man.
The shows aliens are true to the book. Honestly I am pretty fine with their choices in season two the surfing revolutionaries would have confused the audience.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just finished season 1 of this after binging it in two days. I have three take aways.

1. Great Show

2. I was pissed when Poe died

3. Holy fucking shit Martha Higareda is one of the sexiest women alive and I want to crawl up inside of her vagina and live there.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I just finished season 1 of this after binging it in two days. I have three take aways.

1. Great Show

2. I was pissed when Poe died

3. Holy fucking shit Martha Higareda is one of the sexiest women alive and I want to crawl up inside of her vagina and live there.

Yup- she has one of the hottest little bodies! But that's all I agree with about that show.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just watched both seasons and both have their ups and downs. I think season one had some better moments, but I liked season two better overall because it had 100% less Ortega family time.

The world is interesting and I'll continue to watch it but:
The elders are the stupidest aliens in all of science fiction. They let some dumb ass humans walk in with pistols and execute their whole society. They deserve to be extinct. Also, Michael Shanks dying right away was a disappointment.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just watched both seasons and both have their ups and downs. I think season one had some better moments, but I liked season two better overall because it had 100% less Ortega family time.

The world is interesting and I'll continue to watch it but:
The elders are the stupidest aliens in all of science fiction. They let some dumb ass humans walk in with pistols and execute their whole society. They deserve to be extinct. Also, Michael Shanks dying right away was a disappointment.
There were only a few out of a hibernation state in the book. They had mostly became part of the planet as well and had transcended their bodies into the songspire trees.

spronk

FPS noob
finally finished season 2, if season 1 is a 7/10 then season 2 is a 5/10. Not the worst thing on TV but crap budget, crap acting, crap action scenes, and crap writing and story really drag it down. Season 1 is definitely way more interesting and fun to watch.

Its a crazy struggle to get through the first 4 episodes of season 2, they get super bad. I rarely give up on TV shows but it took me like 2 weeks to watch the first 4 episodes, I just didn't want to keep going. The last 4 episodes are way better. I liked the finale, there were some cool moments and its just such a shame they clearly didn't have the money of season 1 anymore. The final scene of Poe and Kovacs talking about what it means to be human was really awesome and reminded me a lot of Farscape, near the end when Crichton was talking to the wormhole alien about time.

They veer pretty hard away from the books in season 2 so if you liked season 1 I'd say just read the books, only 3 of em and well worth it. Much better. I'm not really sure I could recommend watching season 2, its not good. Season 1 is great or at least good enough. I'd honestly be surprised if there is a season 3, I could see this show being cancelled, I can't imagine there is much enthusiasm for it.

and yeah one of the highlights of season 1 is naked Ortega, there is absolutely nothing comparable in season 2.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I liked season 1 more than 2. I liked the actor from the 1st season more than this guy in the second.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Pre Sister episodes in Season 1 > Anime Movie > Season 2 > Sister stuff in Season 1. None of it is super great but the core concept and setting is top notch. And Ortega is unreal.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There were only a few out of a hibernation state in the book. They had mostly became part of the planet as well and had transcended their bodies into the songspire trees.
The aliens had mostly transcended their bodies. The orbital platforms where the angle fire came from basically were massive repositories for their conciousnesses. In the book they basically start making actual contact and communication with them. The show went the opposite way because A) the books were going harder and harder into high budget sci fi land to try to film it and B) its a lot easier to be more consistent if they keep going with the more cyber punk noir theme. The books were a lot more diverse and were starting to get really high tech with FTL ships locked in a battle for centuries and the ability to actually beam matter not just your conciousness via needlecasting across large distances.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the show will focus on the trees being the consciousness
Probably it is both easier and a LOT less budget unfriendly than the aliens are basically sleeved into orbital death ray platforms and other various space ships fighting some unknown enemy with FTL weaponry.

spronk

FPS noob
That one scene with the Elder in VR was awesome, that fucker looked scary as hell

The orbitals needing 12 hours to get into the perfect position to rain down hellfire was stupid as hell, shoulda just immediately set fire to the entire planet. Would have been extremely shocking and could have done interesting things with the second half of season 2 as the Protectorate comes to investigate what the fuck happened to their planet and only source of MagicAlloy

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well the orbitals having to move is potentially legit as they were all in stationary orbits with near complete coverage of the planet. The only reasons humans were able to land on harlans world is they found a gap where some of the orbitals had been destroyed or failed out. That gap in coverage was over the main city because that is where the original colony ship was able to land in the first place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user