Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Weird, it was definitely the Punch Out run that I watched, but the sinister guy didn't look familiar. Also someone in this thread implied that he didn't actually get Tyson in that run, whereas the one I watched, he did. Maybe the run I saw was even older than last year, but I don't think so.

-edit- Ok, I just looked up the vods on youtube. Zallard is the player I remember, and the winning moment that I remember, but my memory is telling me it was NES and not SNES, like the VOD shows. What the fuck. Early onset Alzheimer's, I guess.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I was interested in the Castlevania:SoTN race up until I realized they were going to do the whole fucking thing dashing backwards for speed. Fucking gay.

Szlia

Not overly impressed by the Yoshi's Island blindfolded thing, because it's just about finding a route and memorizing it while the Zallard1 blindfolded Super Punch Out involved huge game knowledge to manipulate the enemies' A.I., a lot of super precise execution, memory and nerves of steel to recover from things going south and a healthy dose of luck to guess right on the many random moments.

In other words: I feel like given a couple of days I could do the Yoshi blindfolded thing while I would probably never be able to do the Super Punch Out one no matter how long you give me.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Not overly impressed by the Yoshi's Island blindfolded thing,because it's just about finding a route and memorizing itwhile the Zallard1 blindfolded Super Punch Out involved huge game knowledge to manipulate the enemies' A.I.,a lot of super precise execution,memoryand nerves of steel to recover from things going south and a healthy dose of luck to guess right on the many random moments.

In other words: I feel like given a couple of days I could do the Yoshi blindfolded thing while I would probably never be able to do the Super Punch Out one no matter how long you give me.
1226d1313732699-saunas-not_sure_if_srs.jpg

Szlia

The Punch Out thing requires frame perfect execution and memorizing pattern trees of a dozen enemies, because if you miss you have to be able to find your way through the tree to regain control of the fight. There was nothing frame perfect in these Yoshi levels and they are linear in their execution with the exception of a couple moments when he fishes for audio cues by jumping around.

Obviously it takes some brain to map a route in Yoshi's Island that can be executed reliably with audio cues alone, it takes some memory to learn the sequence by heart and some skill to execute the hardest parts (ie: parts when you can not use the geometry of the level or audio cues to ensure proper positioning of Yoshi), but it's dwarfed by the Punch Out stuff.

I would say the only thing better with blindfolded Yoshi's Island, is that it is a lot easier to understand what is going on than with Punch Out, as we can see when Yoshi is in danger while the runner is unaware of it, and there are more funny things that can happen, just like when Baby Mario got knocked off Yoshi and it got miraculously recovered.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Weird, it was definitely the Punch Out run that I watched, but the sinister guy didn't look familiar. Also someone in this thread implied that he didn't actually get Tyson in that run, whereas the one I watched, he did. Maybe the run I saw was even older than last year, but I don't think so.

-edit- Ok, I just looked up the vods on youtube. Zallard is the player I remember, and the winning moment that I remember, but my memory is telling me it was NES and not SNES, like the VOD shows. What the fuck. Early onset Alzheimer's, I guess.
Sinister did NES Punch-Out blindfolded last year. He only took the blindfold off to take down Tyson, who is essentially impossible to beat blindfolded due to his randomness and 1-hit KOs.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Those audio cues for Punch-Out games are definitely important. You can see in one of the earlier speed-runs that after the guy pulled off a good move on a sequence, people clapped and he missed the cue on a follow-up in the fight because he didn't hear it. He got whacked and had to recover lol (he admitted that).

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Not overly impressed by the Yoshi's Island blindfolded thing, because it's just about finding a route and memorizing it while the Zallard1 blindfolded Super Punch Out involved huge game knowledge to manipulate the enemies' A.I., a lot of super precise execution, memory and nerves of steel to recover from things going south and a healthy dose of luck to guess right on the many random moments.

Yeah, I came to watch it after it was mentioned here, and it wasn't nearly as impressive as the Super Punch Out thing. It wasn't a full run, it wasn't a speed run, it's an easy game eyes open and it wasn't particularly interesting to watch.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Well I missed the blindfolded Super Punch-Out run so it's certainly possible that was more impressive. On the other hand, I imagine Punch-Out is just a matter of knowing how to react to specific sounds. It's more about learning various patterns and then reacting to them on the fly. The Yoshi's Island run was more a matter of knowing the level layout down pat and being spatially aware of one's position within that level. Sure, there was a lot of walking against walls for longer than necessary just to guarantee known placement, but I was very impressed with jumping on the moving platforms through the spiky area, as well as the multiple jumps off of vertically ascending platforms. Plus the guy downright screwed up a few times, but instead of getting stuck and having to peek/give up, he was able to use his wits and recover, which I also thought was pretty impressive.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mario RPG playthrough coming up. Legend of the Seven Stars is one of my favorite games, and unquestionably one of the best RPGs ever made. 3 Hours is a fucking insane clear time, but I definitely can't sit through the whole thing. Wish they weren't doing all their shit with Japanese versions.

Szlia

The Pokemon Blue run was pretty crazy because of the knowledge this community managed to gather on the inner workings of the game and how clever they are at using this knowledge. The run was like the Inception of glitch abuse to the point item quantities in the inventory become the world map target locs for the next screen transition (or something similar).

A speedrun that was not mentioned but that was very short and very funny was the one of Umihara Kawase. (starts 50 seconds in)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
fuckin rofl @ skipping the Mack fight by using the Shyguys to jump around the fight trigger lines.