Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing through Baldur's 2:EE... it is such a good game. They just don't make them like they use to.

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
Loving BG2:EE as well. Given how old the game is and the isometric style, how long before the indie developers consider it cool enough to start making games like that again?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's a lot harder to make a good old school RPG, regardless of the isometric and sprite based graphics. The key is the story, the character developement and the dialogues, which probably would take a fuckton more time than just making another procedurally generated rogue-like game or platformers or metroidvania-likes and stuff like that. Even if you did do it, nothing says it'd be near as good as baldur's gate or even dragon age 1 because it's all on the writers to make it good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't forget, BG2 was a AAA title when it was released... Sure, it looks like an "indie" game nowadays, but you can't just make that massive amount of 2d artwork OR textures/models without a fairly large art-team. Not to mention, 2d art is completely different than the 3d modeling/texturing that most artists are trained/familiar with these days. BG2 is/was absolutely beautiful and there is a huge amount of art/detail involved.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just love the DnD classes and settings. Too many companies feel the need to do something different just to be different and it affects their games negatively. I know there are many people who will say the opposite--that they don't want to play in a "generic" fantasy world, but I love seeing the staples of the various DnD settings and don't want too much variation from my fantasy games.

Raign

Golden Squire
Thisis about my only hope for a game that recaptures some of what BG 1 & 2 had. Being billed as the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, which, to this day is my favorite single player game ever released.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Thisis about my only hope for a game that recaptures some of what BG 1 & 2 had. Being billed as the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, which, to this day is my favorite single player game ever released.
You've also got a couple of games coming frominXile, Wasteland 2 and Torment: ToN. Not paid too much attention to Wasteland 2 but Torment is another "spiritual successor" to Planescape made by a bunch of the original Planescape guys.

Raign

Golden Squire
Ahh good catch on Torment, I had that one in my list to watch as well. Both have good promise for something akin to the old BG's series. Here's hoping!

^ Yeah I kickstarted Wasteland 2, Torment, and Eternity. Wasteland 2 is essentially Fallout 1/2/Tactics successor. Torment and Eternity should be Baldur's Gate successors.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Does EE allow things like the old developer mod that made all of the ToB bosses harder? (especially demogorgon.. beating him without trap sploit was no joke) Have other mods been ported to it?

In other words, is the EE any better than BG1/2 with the various thid party fixes and engine enhancements?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Never played any of these games because I'm a filthy, heathen skeptic but got BG EE 2.

Had to do some shit with running this installer that comes in one of the folders to get it not to crash on load.

Plays like XCOM tactical kinda (manual pausing which I like but can configure to pause after spell casts/enemy/hero deaths) but with tanks, healer, caster, rogues. Portrait packs are legit.

So far I'm really enjoying it. They aren't afraid to throw you a nasty boss/situation early. I've missed games that made me have to really try and think.... you know that whole rewarding experience shit that people find to be so frustrating/bad design these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing an evil party BG2:EE game. Here is my party.

1. Created character is a tanky Blackguard w/2handers
  2. Korgen- Berserker duel wielding Axes
  3. Mazzy- w/Tasheron's short bow+3 unlimited arrows
  4. Jan- Mage buffs/debuffs/dispels and maxed out find traps/pick locks
  5. Edwin- with full on damage spells and summons
  6. Viconia- with priest buffs, cures, and mass healing spells
This group just wrecks the game. It is strong, very strong.

Indeed it is. Viconia/Edwin is the best divine/arcane caster set in the game so anything after that is really just icing on the cake.

I've been on a huge classic RPG DnD kick lately. Over the last couple of months I've played through BG: EE, NwN SOTU and HOTU, and NWN2 OC. Still have NWN2 MOTB and BG2: EE to plow through. I'm also thinking of grabbing Planescape off of GoG once I finish those last two. Wondering how well its UI and graphics hold at this point.

Raign

Golden Squire
Indeed it is. Viconia/Edwin is the best divine/arcane caster set in the game so anything after that is really just icing on the cake.

I've been on a huge classic RPG DnD kick lately. Over the last couple of months I've played through BG: EE, NwN SOTU and HOTU, and NWN2 OC. Still have NWN2 MOTB and BG2: EE to plow through. I'm also thinking of grabbing Planescape off of GoG once I finish those last two. Wondering how well its UI and graphics hold at this point.
Also do TOEE with the circle of eight pack. Go won't be disappointed!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if we will see a Planescape Torment: EE from Beam Dog in the near future? Would buy.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I wonder if we will see a Planescape Torment: EE from Beam Dog in the near future? Would buy.
You can patch and mod it HD very easily and yes it is amazing. I pissed off the red lizard in town and now I have to run away(for now)