Border Issue

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Solution to all problems: Build a massive wall around the entire US continent Age of Empires style. We can pick up cheap labor for the construction at local Home Depots nationwide.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yes, I know how they vote NOW, but if Republicans ever actually dropped the anti-immigration shit (and they kinda have to at some point) and embraced them as fellow citizens - who would they vote for? It seems to me they actually have more in common with R's than D's. My experience is anecdotal of course, I'm not claiming this is fact, but it is my opinion.
this isnt immigration, and when you realize this isnt a matter of immigrants , but a matter of law and order then you will understand why some people are a bit pissed that their towns are being invaded by criminals.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
You care about law and order but pirate film and TV regularly? Who are you kidding because its not someone here.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What do you mean by "the whole damn thing would collapse"? The price of vegetables would go up?
Not just go up 10 cents, but go up a shitload. Having huge ramifications not just for agriculture, but a ripple effect throughout the economy, ours and the global one as well. Maybe totally collapse is a bit dramatic, but I feel there would certainly be extremely unpleasant impacts.

I realize that sounds a shitload like the complaints of Southern farmers who thought the world would end if they could not rely on slave labor, and in fact it didn't. Whether justified or not, I believe there is real concern about it, and that concern is one of the wrenches in our immigration process.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What do you mean by "the whole damn thing would collapse"? The price of vegetables would go up?
Faltigoth eats a lot of vegetables.

Still waiting on videos of these massive invasions. I could look but there's no time!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not just go up 10 cents, but go up a shitload. Having huge ramifications not just for agriculture, but a ripple effect throughout the economy, ours and the global one as well. Maybe totally collapse is a bit dramatic, but I feel there would certainly be extremely unpleasant impacts.

I realize that sounds a shitload like the complaints of Southern farmers who thought the world would end if they could not rely on slave labor, and in fact it didn't. Whether justified or not, I believe there is real concern about it, and that concern is one of the wrenches in our immigration process.
You don't think cheap farm labor can be mostly automated? Only reason it isn't now is because an illegal immigrant is still cheaper than some robot or machinery. I'm betting at one point, the labor needed to make cars was plentiful and cheap. It's mostly automated now and the industry(and the world) seems to be surviving.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

It sounds like southern arguments for slavery because it is essentially the same argument, using the exact same retarded logic that completely fails to understand how capitalism works. So given that you have to be stupid to believe its in us proles best interest to allow this illegal labor its no wonder that our glorious leaders have managed to convince most idiots exactly that, just like they did with slavery.

The only really damaging aspect would be the initial shocks if the govt was to just one day decide to really crack down with no warning and no time to adjust.

Yes, I know how they vote NOW, but if Republicans ever actually dropped the anti-immigration shit (and they kinda have to at some point) and embraced them as fellow citizens - who would they vote for? It seems to me they actually have more in common with R's than D's. My experience is anecdotal of course, I'm not claiming this is fact, but it is my opinion.
Republicans without stupid stances are called democrats

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It sounds like southern arguments for slavery because it is essentially the same argument, using the exact same retarded logic that completely fails to understand how capitalism works. So given that you have to be stupid to believe its in us proles best interest to allow this illegal labor its no wonder that our glorious leaders have managed to convince most idiots exactly that, just like they did with slavery.

The only really damaging aspect would be the initial shocks if the govt was to just one day decide to really crack down with no warning and no time to adjust.
You are probably exactly right and in all honesty, I haven't looked into it deeply enough to really be able to get into the weeds on it. I rely on mostly anecdotes and gloom and doom predictions from a wing of my wife's family involved in that business and suspected to employ immigrants of dubious legality. I probably need to exit here stage left because I am entering a realm where I just don't know enough to have decent conversation about the topic, only vague second-hand info.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
is this a joke? they are going to vote for the party that gives them free shit for contributing nothing to society while they continue to shit out babies.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Cherries up here pays around 12 bucks an hour. Not an amazing wage but far better than most other agriculture picking. I don't see the end of the cherry business.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have an old military friend who is now a PI in Sacramento and she said that Sacramento now has the largest sex trafficking "hub" in the states. That is just unfathomable to me as I am from the area and never heard much about it. Long story short, since you are from there, have you noticed it becoming a large issue?
Are we talking like "human sex trafficking" where they kidnap young girls and sell them as sex slaves or make them work for them? If that, no I haven't heard a thing about that. If you're talking just regular hookers, I know we have a decent number of those, but I really have no idea if it is some epidemic or just similar to every other city in the country. I haven't heard that there is any particular problem, but I'm not really "in the know" either.

Maybe I should start looking around for almost-18 Czech girls. I could find the next Caprice!

Goatface

Cherries up here pays around 12 bucks an hour. Not an amazing wage but far better than most other agriculture picking. I don't see the end of the cherry business.
is that the real wage or the amount set for picking x amount per hour which can not be done

lots of farmers get busted for saying a job pays per hour, but it is really only that high if you can pick an insane amount in that time. most times they end up just getting a fraction of that amount.
it is also one of the reason why kids end up working with their parents trying to make the quotas.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this isnt immigration, and when you realize this isnt a matter of immigrants , but a matter of law and order then you will understand why some people are a bit pissed that their towns are being invaded by criminals.
I'm not sure if I favor the Picard facepalm, or the Jackie Chan WTF pic for this retarded fucking contribution to this thread. Go sit in the corner a bit and ponder a better insertion into this discussion - one perhaps based on something ACTUALLY being discussed.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
is that the real wage or the amount set for picking x amount per hour which can not be done

lots of farmers get busted for saying a job pays per hour, but it is really only that high if you can pick an insane amount in that time. most times they end up just getting a fraction of that amount.
it is also one of the reason why kids end up working with their parents trying to make the quotas.
Don't know as I am fortunate enough to have a good job. But they advertise it all over the radio as 12.50 an hour so I doubt its a scam because its certainly not a secret.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
They would still vote Democrat.

Democrats are much more socially progressive than republicans, meaning, expanding things like medicare, social security, healthcare, etc. I'm not going to debate here if that is good or not, what I can say is that Hispanics LOVE those programs and will vote for whoever says they are expanding/protecting them.

What's the Republican platform? From a hispanic point of view: Gun rights? meh; decreasing taxes for the wealthy? meh; securing the border? WTF let my people in!; religion everywhere? eeehh ok maybe; pro-life? hmm depends, first generation hispanics are mostly pro-life second and third are mostly pro-choice, same for gay rights; killing/restricting social security, medicare, medicaid, food stamps? WTF NO; not doing immigration reform and being harsher on immigrants and making Obama look like a hero having to sign executive orders for things like DACA and the like? Republicans are fucked with the Hispanic community.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Are we talking like "human sex trafficking" where they kidnap young girls and sell them as sex slaves or make them work for them? If that, no I haven't heard a thing about that. If you're talking just regular hookers, I know we have a decent number of those, but I really have no idea if it is some epidemic or just similar to every other city in the country. I haven't heard that there is any particular problem, but I'm not really "in the know" either.

Maybe I should start looking around for almost-18 Czech girls. I could find the next Caprice!
There was a big series in the SF Chronicle a few years back about a Korean girl and they made it sound like a good percentage of the girls working in Asian Massage parlors and various other fronts for prostitution aren't exactly there by choice. It's not slavery in the literal sense where somebody bought them and they are now property. It's more like some chick gets in financial trouble in Korea, the mafia gets ahold of her, fills her head with bullshit about how much money she can get by going to America for a few months and get rid of her debt, then once they get her here they get her hooked on drugs, her debts magically go up instead of down, and they tell her that if she leaves or goes to the authorities, they will cut her mother's hands off back in Korea. End result is that she basically ends up being a slave.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You don't think cheap farm labor can be mostly automated? Only reason it isn't now is because an illegal immigrant is still cheaper than some robot or machinery. I'm betting at one point, the labor needed to make cars was plentiful and cheap. It's mostly automated now and the industry(and the world) seems to be surviving.
Maybe, maybe not. Most agricultural crops (wheat, corn, soybeans, etc) are already mechanically harvested, but if the fruit is delicate (strawberries, lettuce, etc) or the plant needs to be left undamaged after harvesting (tree nuts, apples, etc), or both (cherries, raspberries, etc) then that is pretty tough for a machine to do.

I'm not sure if I favor the Picard facepalm, or the Jackie Chan WTF pic for this retarded fucking contribution to this thread. Go sit in the corner a bit and ponder a better insertion into this discussion - one perhaps based on something ACTUALLY being discussed.
gtfo. this is what should be discussed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You care about law and order but pirate film and TV regularly? Who are you kidding because its not someone here.
first of all i am not downloading any tv or movies, i never have. secondly streaming tv shows i missed or tv shows i will never see due to them only being shown in other countries is not illegal. and if it is then i only broke british law which they are welcome to come prosecute me for watching uncut episodes of Top Gear, Dr Who or random shows like Grand Designs.