Camelot Unchained

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If it's some dumbshit like crowfall does I'm going to be disappointed.

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

"We added greener trees"....

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Big cash infusion from some of the original investors of DAoC. Says it doesn't change the game mode in any way, but now they can hire a ton of people and supposedly the game will now come out "sooner".

Good for them, I can see why they are excited. But we're still waiting on beta.

Hekotat

When did this project start again?

I'd love to try it but it seems like it's been in development forever.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2013 was the Kickstarter. 5 years so far and they are probably a year or two from launch.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It never stopped. Turns out games just take a long time to develop.

Especially MMOG which is the most complicated game possible. Think about the *bare minimum* you need to develop and ship a game by type:

+ single-player only: (1) game executable, that's it

+ single-player with multiplayer additions (like say Borderlands): (1) game executable, (2) game server, (3) master server (for matchmaking)

+ MMOG: (1) game executable, (2) game server, (3) game server load distribution system, (4) client installer/updater/login app, (5) databases, (6) account/transaction processing system, (7) customer service apps, (8) web/account/armory interface, (9) forum, (10) a ton of custom developer tools since there is no (viable) Unity MyFirstMMO starter kit for AAA MMOG.

As soon as you add any element of multiplayer (especially competitive with anti-cheat or customer server requirements) costs, complexity, and dev time go up exponentially.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
According to Massively OP 2 days ago,

Jacobs told me his leads are in final discussion on “when” with the new producer right now. Expect the announcement in the next few weeks and beta soon. How soon? “Sooner, rather than later, this year.” It’s close. And when it hits beta, it will be a real beta, so don’t expect a soft launch or early access/pre-alpha shenanigans. “We don’t want to go down that path,” he told me. “We’re still going to beta one the exact same way we said we were going to do it so that people will actually have fun and actually want to come in and test.”

As for the commercial launch: While there’s the remotest possibility of hitting 2018, don’t count on it – it would require a ramp-up or acquisition that even $7.5 million isn’t going to buy on short notice. 2019, however, is very likely. You can write that on your calendars in the blood of your enemies. (CUBE – the Camelot Unchained Building Environment toolset players can already toy with – may hit the streets earlier, do note.)

• 1Barf

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
180212091218974364.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beta 1 in July means Friday Night Fights should start soon.

They do impromptu alpha tests during the week. But I usually miss them (work etc). A regular Friday night session should be fun.

Vedette

<Donor>
This thread is kind of dead for a closed beta in a month. Anyone else plan on playing over the holiday weekend?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll probably check it out. But I doubt it will be much changed from what they have now which is a long ways from being ready for release. I like their basic format but combat needs a lot of work.

Forums have been down for a couple of weeks (privacy changes and redo for beta I suppose) so I'm a bit out of the loop. Reddit has info but it's not as well organized.

Hekotat

I'm interested in playing but I haven't seen any information on the game, it's state or anything.

Bumble

Molten Core Raider
The NDA is still up and will stay up during the start of beta. Even without the NDA there wouldn't be much to talk about, only 3 classes exist right now for each faction (Tank, Healer, Archer) and all the testing takes place in instanced battleground-style scenarios. For beta 1 it'll be basically the same thing but they're also adding some starter islands where you can craft, build stuff, and socialize outside of of the scenarios (all this info is from the public Beta 1 doc on their website)
www.camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I have never really cared for Mark Jacobs. Is that unpopular opinion nowadays?

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Official two year Kickstarter members-only update: "Maybe you can craft some stuff soon!"

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All the guys who love PVP currently believe he will be the savior, the resurrection. Everyone else realizes he's kind of a douche.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

No. His biggest failure was almost 10 years ago and he hasn't really done much since then. This place never loved him as much as Brad and he honestly was even less successful than that loser.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Dark Age of Camelot was a great game after a rocky launch but it was only great by accident. Being deeply involved in the internal private QA and design boards gave me a front-stage look at how they had no idea what made their game good and were constantly trying to break it.