Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xerge

<Donor>
I've received what appears to be non-responsive UI - it's happened a bit while browsing new gear and trying to click into a category and nothing happens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm confused what you guys mean about being on console with a controller. doesn't this game play leaps and bounds better on a controller than a mouse and keyboard? they straight up say on their official website that the game was made with a controller in mind

• 1Worf

Malkav

French Madman
Reading popsicle kinda feel like reading Utnayan during his halcyon days in the forums. Very high level sperging. I wonder if he also has "notes" to check.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Reading popsicle kinda feel like reading Utnayan during his halcyon days in the forums. Very high level sperging. I wonder if he also has "notes" to check.

Sperging = calling out a piece of shit game.

Call me the Sperg king.

I mean seriously, how do you fuck up a Z-Axis before launch in today's world? This hasn't been done since EQ was developed on a tank simulator engine that quite literally COULD NOT ACCOUNT for a Z-Axis since it was X/Y linear behavior and even Verant managed some work arounds.

I mean holy fucking amateur hour.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Didn't see you were not right though!

Just going on a crusade about a shit game was...something i guess?

Entertainment and boredom more than anything thrown in with a lot of passion about seeing an industry continue to go down the toilet :)

(I have Gamepass so I am playing it tonight to witness the spectacle first hand) If I were paying full price for Gamepass I would be upset that continued mediocre titles continue to be released on the service, but since I got 3 years for 80 bucks (plus a dollar for the conversion) I am not that angsty.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Console and PC crossplay is just going to reveal even more how shit this game is on console with a controller. They'd be smart to keep them separated at this point.

Are UI elements and windows opening/closing freezing the game for a few seconds on PC? Because being frozen for two seconds to be told I didn't have any trophies or loot yet was cool.
I only played the "tutorial," but I noticed freezing in the hub area. Like, open that chest thing and it just pauses for 2 seconds. Every time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1624391014881.png

• 1Worf

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I like the PS3 graphics, has that nice retro feel everybody is looking for these days.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh that's right this thing isn't even optimized for this gen consoles yet is it.... or is it? I'll find out at 5:30 central.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
i'm confused what you guys mean about being on console with a controller. doesn't this game play leaps and bounds better on a controller than a mouse and keyboard? they straight up say on their official website that the game was made with a controller in mind

No. Mouse and keyboards I could see overcoming awkward controls. Controller feels like being forced to only keyboard-arrow-turn in EQ. It basically requires target lock to even function, but that POV has its own problems. And if it requires target lock, why not just make it an auto-target system where you can switch active targets. Or just have PC and Console modes.

Here's how combat works on the controller not using target lock. Move with left stick. Point/target with right stick. Get a mob in front of you, you think, hit a trigger button to attack. Whiff because the hit boxes are shit. Aim better, attack, great you hit something. Try to follow up with an empowered strike that requires timing. Oops, the mob was moving, but your right thumb was no longer tracking/aiming because you used it to empowered strike, so you whiffed past the mob.

Imagine a shooter like Gears where you were right stick aiming to track targets, but your fire button was X. So when you tried to fire you, by default, had to stop aim tracking. All with sketchy hit boxes. With mobs bouncing around faster than you can strafe-move with the left stick.

And dodge, too, means you stop controlling the direction you're facing. So dodging gets you off target and requires more adjustment when you can get your thumb back on the right stick.

Here's how it works with target lock. Click to target lock. Nope not looking at the mob directly enough. Aim, click again, locked.... Extreme close up! Wayne's World! Excellent! And you can't see shit, so stuff rapes you from the side and you have little ability for awareness. If you're pointed away from mobs it's painful getting turned around, especially in close, and again feels like keyboard arrow turning in old mmos. And increasing speed of thumbsticks never feels like a good answer and just becomes harder to control the oddly precision required with these janky hitboxes

Funny thing is target locked and I still whiff on attacks. Or still get stuck in animation locks. Still have attack combos animation past the mob and get stuck attacking air. So even in target lock the combat is sketchy and clunky imo. And left stick movement still feels lumbering and clunky, not compared to other games, compared to mobs in this game, in this world, with this combat, with their stated design goals and decisions.

They designed the game specifically for controllers? Then shy does it feels like a bad PC port trying to use both sticks to manage keyboard/mouse controls? That's the point people have been trying to make. Even active, advertised design decisions seem like they were half assed and thrown in at the last minute and are unpolished or even untested. I can overlook bugs and flaws, but being pulled out of a game to question marketing and design decisions is usually a bad sign things aren't going to improve overnight with a patch.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Turn the horizontal and vertical camera sensitivity to max

• 1Mother of God

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Turn the horizontal and vertical camera sensitivity to max
Still has nasty ass mouse acceleration. It's UE4 though, so unless they're total assholes and encrypted the ini files it should be possible to disable acceleration, smoothing, and any other retarded shit that shouldn't even exist in PC gaming let alone be turned on by default.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watching Lirik do a sponsored stream for it, and it looks like a wait for a $10 sale type game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The new Baldurs gate dark alliance should!

Anyone else think it's super weird that they're putting out two different games called Dark Alliance in such close proximity to each other (that are both remasters of old games, I think)?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well that was a waste of a dollar.

Ya, after reading this thread, my enthusiasm for the game has pretty much evaporated. It didn't arrive on time today anyway and now I won't be able to really play it for a few days, so that was also disappointing. At least playing it today would have let me contribute to the discussion. I won't have time tomorrow and probably won't the day after that either. I might just end up returning it unopened or something.

I guess you could say I'm considering giving this game a... *puts on sunglasses* ...pass.

Did an online quick play. Once you jack up the mouse sensitivity setting I was able to swing my camera around okay. I was forced into using a non-drizz character in my match as I joined someone else who had already picked him and somehow ruled over me, lol. I went with the bow chick and the combat felt more floaty on this character. The empower mechanic is fun but the chick's combat just isn't tight enough and feels weird. Dark e lf dude is smooth to play, haven't tried the other two.

Deffinitely a half baked port - had to navigate a monster log with wasd, couldn't simply click on an entry. There's possible fun here though once they smooth out the combat; encountered lots of traps, mini boss with a poison bulb explosion mechanic, explosive shit, secrets with loot, optional locations. I will say the dungeon's objective were kinda boring, but wasn't just hallway>room>hallway either so maybe it was just a newbie thing.

Certainly wouldn't buy it or would have refunded if not for game pass.

"The chick's combat just isn't tight enough"

Giggity

• 2Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok this combat is so fucking bad. Ouch. Not sure how you patch this j00t j00t Camera angle zoom and lock on system is so God awful. Animation system on knock is retarded.

IGN of all sites has it at a 4/10.

What a train wreck :(

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Sperging = calling out a piece of shit game.

Call me the Sperg king.

I mean seriously, how do you fuck up a Z-Axis before launch in today's world? This hasn't been done since EQ was developed on a tank simulator engine that quite literally COULD NOT ACCOUNT for a Z-Axis since it was X/Y linear behavior and even Verant managed some work arounds.

I mean holy fucking amateur hour.
Ok sperg king

• 2Worf