Dead Space 3

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just finished it. I was expecting a sellout Halo/Crysis clone from the trailers (lots of open world bullshit) but overall I'm actually pretty happy with it. It's not perfect but I enjoyed it, despite the awful dialog and laughable plot. 7/10 IMO. Not a big fan of co-op only missions, though.

My biggest gripe with it (story aside) is all the damn elevators. Once you get to chapter 10 or so it's like you're playing Mass Effect 1. Elevator, hallway, elevator, small room, elevator, elevator, etc, etc. It gets a little annoying.

Also, not that you have a choice, but when you finish it watch the credits to the end for the obvious "surprise".

Edit: Unskippable cutscenes in NG+ is meh as well.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
watch the credits to the end for the obvious "surprise"
Or save yourself from having to sit through some absurdly long credits and just click this spoiler:

After the long ass ending credits finish rolling there is a black screen with Isaac saying "Ellie...Ellie..." as if he is still alive.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly I can see some of the complaints being legitimate here, some not - but overall it's the funnest new game I've played in a bit (I'd say since ME3 - although AC3 was quite a surprise as well [didn't want it, got it because the bundle made the most sense when replacing my PS3]).

But some of the complaints are silly - like Isaac not being "dramatic at all before"... the entire story to 1 was predicated on his love for Nicole, and two was almost entirely revolved around his obsession.

"No mindfuck type stuff" (or whatever - paraphrased here I'm sure) - try playing the Co-Op missions as Carver, Isaac does have his shit together more, but Carver is falling apart clearly. And note, play them AS CARVER not as Isaac - they're quite different for Carver. (Although only slightly so for the one in Chap 4, largely in the others)

On the Bench complaints - I think the feature is nice and fun - but I will agree it took something back from the frenetic feel of the earlier ones at times - but Classic mode largely mends that.

I guess in summary, I think alot of the complaints are founded on not delving completely into it - be it from the NG+ modes or really thinking over the past storyline - Isaac was obsessed with Nicole to the point that the Marker used her to mindfuck him over and over again, it's not shocking that he'd be in those stages with Ellie. (Especially after a loss of a different sort of her)

I wouldn't call it perfect, but much like ME3 - I think there's some overly harsh criticism that's the result of expectations being too high, not that the product is bad.

Vaclav

Yeah, that's a dishonest as fuck review.

So to add further insult to injury - "Classic Mode" is lazy as all fuck. Part of "Classic Mode" is that they completely disabled co-op, which is a good thing. However, they also left in every single item in those locked co-op only optional missions so you cannot 100% classic mode due to a bunch of items and collectibles being completely inaccessible, yet still being part of the check lists for that mode. Good job, Visceral.
Maybe not on all the versions due to glitching, but Classic mode on my PS3 absolutely has no Coop items on the checklist - I've 100%'ed up through Chapter 12 so far on my Classic run - past two Coop exclusive areas.

Vorph

How is expecting a survival horror series to continue to produce games in the same genre having expectations that are too high? The sad part is that people said the same things about the road Resident Evil has taken, except there everyone [who actually likes horror] was saying, "Well, at least we still have Dead Space..."

So much for that...

Sean_sl

shitlord
Honestly I can see some of the complaints being legitimate here, some not - but overall it's the funnest new game I've played in a bit (I'd say since ME3 - although AC3 was quite a surprise as well [didn't want it, got it because the bundle made the most sense when replacing my PS3]).

But some of the complaints are silly - like Isaac not being "dramatic at all before"... the entire story to 1 was predicated on his love for Nicole, and two was almost entirely revolved around his obsession.

"No mindfuck type stuff" (or whatever - paraphrased here I'm sure) - try playing the Co-Op missions as Carver, Isaac does have his shit together more, but Carver is falling apart clearly. And note, play them AS CARVER not as Isaac - they're quite different for Carver. (Although only slightly so for the one in Chap 4, largely in the others)

On the Bench complaints - I think the feature is nice and fun - but I will agree it took something back from the frenetic feel of the earlier ones at times - but Classic mode largely mends that.

I guess in summary, I think alot of the complaints are founded on not delving completely into it - be it from the NG+ modes or really thinking over the past storyline - Isaac was obsessed with Nicole to the point that the Marker used her to mindfuck him over and over again, it's not shocking that he'd be in those stages with Ellie. (Especially after a loss of a different sort of her)

I wouldn't call it perfect, but much like ME3 - I think there's some overly harsh criticism that's the result of expectations being too high, not that the product is bad.
This is a bunch of fucking nonsense and you're getting negged for defending this piece of shit.

There was no drama bullshit in Dead Space 1 at all. Isaac didn't even talk in Dead Space 1, jackass. It's not even remotely comparable to the nonsense love triangle garbage that happened in Dead Space 3. Dead Space 3's story and dialogue is some of the most atrocious shit I've ever sat through and that's including all the terrible Japanese games I've played.

Having to play some very small co-op only optional missions as the second player (and ONLY the second player) to experiencesomeof the series' "mind-fuck" shit is nonsense. You shouldn't have to play co-op to see be able to see any of that in this series, what the fuck? They took a staple of the series and tossed it in a very walled off corner of the game.

The pacing in this game is complete garbage. There is no tension what so ever. There is no Survival Horror to it at all. It's an Action Shooter Kill Fest that throws enemies at you and only gets worse as it goes. The last quarter of the game is especially bad as it just throw them at you non-stop and completely throws pacing out the window. Classic Mode does absolutely nothing to alleviate this, it just changes what weapons you can use.

Wanting a Survival Horror experience from a Survival Horror Series instead of a Generic Action ShooterKill Festis having my expectations too high? Fuck you.

Tramddark_sl

shitlord
My quickie review:

Its fun to go through Co-Op one time. It is not Dead Space though. Soap Opera shit, deemphasis on dismemberment, terrible story, Carver is the only one who experiences mind fuckage for like a single side quest.

The atmosphere is gone. There's no feeling of dread with a partner. There are no scares. There are no 'Oh shit' moments. The big revelations are fucking stupid.

Weapon system is 'okay', but not amazing. I kind of preferred the feel of your weapons being more tools that some amateur engineer picked up and improvised. Isaac became a self-taught badass over the course of the first two games, and that contributed to the feel. While it seems an improvement over Dead Space 1 having tons of useless or mediocre weapons, its still not a good system. Everything just feels like a gun, and stuff like the plasma cutter are fucking useless since you can just shotgun everything to death with a wide spread close to mid range weapon.

I just gotta ask. What happened to the Dead Space 1 and 2 feel when you entered a new area, and just got creeped the fuck out? Everyone should remember the area with the mass Unitologist suicide, the candles, and Twinkle Twinkle little star from DS1. That's not here. Its never here. So what we have is a poor man's colony for the prologue. A poor man's Ishimura for the first third or so of the game, and then Ice Planet devoid of atmosphere for the rest.

It really did become a dudebros for life action game, and EA should go fuck themselves for churning this out. Visceral too, but only for showing a lack of balls in defending this shit. This game should have been Dead Space Extraction 2 with a continuation of that plot from the DS2 DLC, NOT Dead Space 3.

Seventh

Golden Squire
This is a bunch of fucking nonsense and you're getting negged for defending this piece of shit.

Wanting a Survival Horror experience from a Survival Horror Series instead of a Generic Action ShooterKill Festis having my expectations too high? Fuck you.
Sean getting his panties in a wad because someone has the audacity to like a game that he's shitting on? This is certainly familiar.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Alright so I got together with a friend yesterday and played it for a couple of hours. Before I continue, it's important to note that this particular friend of mine and I absolutely decimate any and all co-op games, regardless of style and genre and have a blast doing so with little complaints. That said, this is ranking to be one of the top co-op games we've played together - it's incredibly fun with 2 competent people and if you go into Dead Space 3 with none of the ubiquitous expectations of it being as tense/desolate as Dead Space 1 & 2 you will leave thoroughly satisfied. While it's true that there isn't much in the way of complex puzzles or resource management and yes, universal ammo does make all of this a bit less challenging it does do a great job of keeping you and your co-op partner both occupied in a sensible and strategic manner while remaining fun and entertaining. The dialog isn't very remarkable but the voice acting is done rather well. I can't say too much about the story, I'm not that far. The cutscenes are done pretty well in co-op, nothing too outlandish or annoyingly hard to follow. All in all, I just consider Dead Space 3 co-op to not fall in the category of failing to maintain the Dead Space expectations but rather to be a massive success in comparison to other options that exist in the current action/co-op market.

Overall co-op experience - recommended, however keep in mind that I'm not trying to paint a rainbow over the truth - it's true, it's not the same game as before but keep in my mind the perspective I'm playing it with and take that for what it's worth.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Sean getting his panties in a wad because someone has the audacity to like a game that he's shitting on? This is certainly familiar.
It's pretty rare that Idon'tlike a game. Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 are the only ones that actually come to mind.

This game doesn't even deserve to be talked about.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
So...EA has produced some major letdowns recently: Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age, and now Dead Space, whats next? What survival horror games are still left, Amnesia?

Edit: I played single player at a friends' over the weekend, and while I think DS3 is easily the weakest of the series so far and lost some of its identity, its okay as its own thing. If DS3 replaced its name, and necromorphs with something else, it'd be a good game on its own, but as a successor to the series, it falls flat IMO. I liked the weapon customization stuff though.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
What's shitty is that I love these games so much for what they began as and what they actually *are*, but when they fuck up a part of a franchise I still play it and can't hate it simply because usually by the time a franchise is well established the production value alone makes these games worth purchasing...

Anyone else feel this way?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
No kidding. That was uncalled for.
While I don't really agree with him in regards to "punishing" you if you enjoy the game they are just negs and not worth getting your panties in a bunch over. I do agree with him about wishing for the quick death of this game.

Vorph

What's shitty is that I love these games so much for what they began as and what they actually *are*, but when they fuck up a part of a franchise I still play it and can't hate it simply because usually by the time a franchise is well established the production value alone makes these games worth purchasing...

Anyone else feel this way?
Not at all. Dead Space was a fantastic game. Dead Space 2 was worth the $5 I paid but not a whole lot more than that; as I've said before Isaac jabbering away instead of just quietly being batshit insane ruined the atmosphere that was created in the first game. Dead Space 3 I wouldn't even pay $5--let alone defile my computer with Origin--for and would not bother renting for PS3 either.

Production values and budget are meaningless if none of it goes to the important parts of the game.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I'm stunned that you would be hard pressed to have paid more than $5 for Dead Space 2 and wouldn't drop a dime on 3. I suppose being in the industry (as an artist/sound engineer no less) gives me a bit more insight and appreciation into the work that goes into media and entertainment production beyond a product's castle walls.

I'm not saying your opinion is unwarranted or wrong in any shape, I can see your point. I asked because it seems like I'm in a very small margin of the population when it comes to feeling this way about entertainment mediums and I suppose this is a good confirmation of that.

Vaclav

There was no drama bullshit in Dead Space 1 at all. Isaac didn't even talk in Dead Space 1, jackass. It's not even remotely comparable to the nonsense love triangle garbage that happened in Dead Space 3. Dead Space 3's story and dialogue is some of the most atrocious shit I've ever sat through and that's including all the terrible Japanese games I've played.
I won't say the dialogue is great or anything - but the basis of it was not any more pointless than his dialogue in two. And the basis of his obsession over the women he loves being a common thread between all three.

He went batshit because of Nicole (and all the backstory/hallucinations only reinforce it - even when he's not talking to her [Hint: Storywise that's internal dialogue, since she doesn't exist])

I will agree them segregating it to just Carver was bad mojo - and I would've liked to see more of it - but how in the progression of the game after Isaac literally fought the marker out of his mind would it make sense for him to be batshit but playable - either he'd have to be a) relegated to NPC status because he'd be SOOOOO fucked up or b) pretty much hunky-dory like he was in DS3. The minute I saw Isaac was going to continue as the lead character, I knew he was going to have his shit together this time, that's basic characterization.

As for the pacing being "bad" honestly being that I just replatted the first two in the weeks leading up to DS3, the pacing doesn't feel any different to me besides the initial long stretch before there's some bosses - and never, even in my first playthrough of 1 and 2 did I ever get a jump or scare - and only a few "holy crap what the hell is going on here" moments, which DS3 did have a few of. (Like the desperation involved in eating the necromorphs to create the one new variant, and the logs about Serrano getting his idea blackballed when it was valid)

I'd personally say the first two were "Generic Action Sci-Fi Kill Fests" for the most part as well - with a better than average mythos dreamed up for the backdrop, they never felt survival horror to me - even playing through DS2 on Hardcore. (Which starting on DS3 hardcore and hearing about the backup options and Co-Op nonsense with them - I will say that's disappointingly tamed down, but based on PSNProfiles.com only 8.5% beat Hardcore for DS2, so I can't imagine that's a huge draw for people to bother with - and that would mind it being easier)

And Classic Mode changes a bunch - kills coop, changes the weapon choices to entirely DS2 models (besides the early buyer free DLC stuff - which I've been avoiding because IMO they're too good and not "Classic") some of which have alt modes not normally available, and most importantly IMO changes the targeting to be the old slightly askew version.

But hell, for it being a "Survival Horror" series in the first place - Dark Souls made me jump more often than the first two. And I'm someone who jumps five feet when the wife taps me on the shoulder unexpectedly.

[PS - I'd personally give it 8/10 or so - it's the best new game I've played in a while, but by no stretch is it an all-star [9's for DS1/DS2 in comparison - yes, it backslid - but it's not trash] - just the best game after a sea of mediocrity for months (Although to be fair, not started playing Ni No Kuni which is sitting waiting for me to finish platting DS3 - I do expect that to bump it from goofing with the demo feels 8.5-9/10 from the demo)]

And again, as stated just keeping your quote to reinforce it - I didn't consider it a horror series personally - just like I never considered Alien/Aliens or Event Horizon to be horror either. Sci Fi/Horror often drifts for large swathes into Sci Fi mode over Horror mode to the point where Horror is basically nonexistant. (Really, I've seen a breakdown of "Horror" for Alien being something like 5% of the film length in one critical analysis - to be surprised that a game in the Sci-Fi/Horror genre has few horror moments [or none in all 3 as I'd say] isn't shocking)

Don't get me wrong, I think striving for a return to RE1-2 type Survival Horror days is admirable, but the closest I've seen anything come in years - Dead Space 1-2 included - was the RE: Revelations on 3DS.

PSS - I do think the Co-op should've been avoided completely, I would've preferred seeing the Co-op elements been included as mandatory character switches between. I really do not like the Co-op element, it feels tedious in some parts and trivializing in others.

PSSS - Additionally, I do think part of my enjoyment has come from intentionally not doing overpowered stuff (i.e. heavy splash weapons w/ splash guard and shotguns) for my weapons on the bench - I did, for coop (at a partner's "demand") switch to those and really did not play very "fun" or "tactically" since I could just belly shot everything rather than trying to remove limbs - in my single player however which is 99% of how I've been playing it since trophying the co-op stuff however I stick to weapons that require dissection for ideal kill rates.

PSSSS - Maybe 7-7.5/10 would be more accurate looking at some of my additional criticisms - still best in a while game wise - probably since AC3 would be more accurate though. There was a dry spell before AC3 however.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I just gotta ask. What happened to the Dead Space 1 and 2 feel when you entered a new area, and just got creeped the fuck out?
Because the man responsible for all the good stuff from the first 2, now works for Zynga.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...loperId,23707/

Edit: As an aside, I never played Dead Space 2 through to completion. I just hit Chapter 13 last night and am having a blast with the atmosphere. I have heard good and bad about the atmosphere in 3. What's the verdict?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Because the man responsible for all the good stuff from the first 2, now works for Zynga.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...loperId,23707/

Edit: As an aside, I never played Dead Space 2 through to completion. I just hit Chapter 13 last night and am having a blast with the atmosphere. I have heard good and bad about the atmosphere in 3. What's the verdict?
What? How the fuck could you have heard ANY good things about the atmosphere in 3? There's no atmosphere in 3 what so ever, it doesn't exist in the slightest.