Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Damnit this is supposed to be a souls thread.

Only advice should be Git gud faggot

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Beat it, loved it. Not sure I'll go with a newgame+ I don't really care about trophies and I have a metric shit ton of other things to play. Think I finished at like soul level 71 or something? maybe 69 after someone sucked a couple levels out of me haha.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

i've been playing kinda obsessively this week, I honestly thought I'd bounce off the game after a few hours and dying a lot but I guess since its been years since I played Bloodborne this is scratching a real deep itch. I keep dying over and over and over and over and over to the stupidest shit, like every souls game, but man I am just enjoying the hell out of it. Essentially just memorizing a map and knowing the exact things to do through trial and error, but who knew that would be satisfying

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

i've been playing kinda obsessively this week, I honestly thought I'd bounce off the game after a few hours and dying a lot but I guess since its been years since I played Bloodborne this is scratching a real deep itch. I keep dying over and over and over and over and over to the stupidest shit, like every souls game, but man I am just enjoying the hell out of it. Essentially just memorizing a map and knowing the exact things to do through trial and error, but who knew that would be satisfying
Yeah that’s why I love these games. Just slowly getting deeper into each level, oh I died cause I was looking up scared of mobs and fell in a hole lol won’t happen next run!

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So. As some know I beat the flame dude at 3am while completely smashed, woke up and played the next day and forgot I beat the guy. I wondered how I did it. So what’s funny is I had no idea it takes a video of the achievement. I have also have no idea what I was doing but it definitely wasn’t anything useful as some rando was pounding the boss for me. That’s an awesome feature lol.

spronk

FPS noob
Platinum'd the game today morning, at least 60 hours at 3 runs since I didn't really read any guides or strats so wasted a lot of effort and time buying shit I shouldn't have.

Extremely enjoyable, although I don't really wanna play a souls type game again now for 2-3 years. The last 2 trophies I needed require online stuff, which I didn't mess with at all before. Its crazy how huge the online community is, big old discords full of people PVPing, trading mats, farming, etc. Pretty easy way to hook up with someone who wants to shift white/black tendencies, since you can get the 2 online trophies while helping someone with that stuff. I thought it would be a lot harder to coordinate.

All the pure white/pure black tendency stuff (world, character) is confusing as hell. Kinda interesting, and you can see how they have slowly morphed some of those ideas in their newer games.

• 2Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've been playing this since Christmas, and the change from the weed system to the Estus system was one of the best changes they made for the later games. Some bosses would be a lot harder in this game if you had to rely on a set amount of healing.

• 1Like

Szlia

SPOILERS ahead : I only played it back on PS3, but I remember being slightly disappointed with the world tendency stuff as it felt it could have had a bigger narrative payoff. The main things that comes to mind is the Valley of Defilement line, with a number of hints that maybe there could be another outcome than going and killing Maiden Astraea or something....

spronk

FPS noob
the big thing about the world tendency stuff is that pure white lets you do a few extra quests from the 4 big NPCs that give you rewards, and pure black spawns "evil" versions of those same NPCs which you can kill for loot. Being pure white/black yourself just alters difficulty and opens an extra door or two (for loot), but the two are heavily intertwined as far as manipulating the state of the world.

Its kinda neat, but you can definitely tell its only half baked and not fully thought out. Especially in the weird rules you have to know before hand, like dying in body form drops to black but dying in soul form has no effect (so always die in the nexus after a boss kill so you don't lose world tendency), weird shit like that. Its utter gibberish to anyone who is not intimately familiar with the tendency stuff but makes total sense to anyone who knows.

Should make their next game interesting though, while Dark Souls/Bloodborne had humanity and covenants and Oaths i think the tendency stuff was far more unique.

Araxen

I used to think this game was the hardest out of the series, but in playing the remake this is actually the easiest Souls game. I'm sure since it was my first Souls game that is why I previously had that opinion, but not anymore.

I will say I forgot how most of the bosses worked especially Dragon God. It took me like 10 attempts to beat him. Flamelurker took me about six attempts, but everyone else I one or two shotted. I expect to finish off my first playthrough tonight. I just need to finish off world 1.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Only thing I remember about Demon Souls was standing on some bridge and hitting a dragon as it flew by, in a loop. Took about an hour to whittle down it's health.

spronk

FPS noob
The game is definitely way easier than souls/bloodborne, I mostly died to trash because I forgot spawn or trick spots, bosses were generally fairly easy. I do like the world/atmosphere more, the one level I absolutely detested was that swamp shit and a lot of dark souls games feel more like that level than the open castle levels I loved.

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
They did a phenomenal job on the remake though, this was the first game that got me addicted when me and a friend imported the Korean PS3 version......I was on the verge of giving up being unable to get to the first boss (Phalanx) but I am really glad I stuck it out.

These games really do have the soul of the older Kings Field games, which I also loved, but with a much faster pace / harder difficulty.

I agree that playing the remake shows how easy the game actually was, but most of the areas end up bringing back memories for me of when I played it 10+ years ago. Still looking forward to Elden Ring and a Bloodborne sequel, but I hope they sold enough to consider some sort of dlc added content. I won't hold my breath since I know it's a Bluepoint remake, but that would seriously be awesome. Can't wait to see what PS5 exclusive games look like a year or so from now.

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Only thing I remember about Demon Souls was standing on some bridge and hitting a dragon as it flew by, in a loop. Took about an hour to whittle down it's health.

I killed that with my spells without looking. I setup on the tower he flys over in a loop and I figured out a spot where you can aim, where if you fire as soon as the controller starts rumbling you'll do 12 damage to it. I switched inputs on my receiver and watched something while I killed it, pressing R1 everytime it rumbled. Once the rumbling stopped, I knew Smaug was dead. I am warrior.

• 1Worf

Szlia

To be fair, the Souls game are not hard. They are hard at first because there are not many games like them that require a modicum of caution and restrain. Once you understand that, they are not hard. A later step is mastering them and realizing you can actually run around and be aggressive. I think this trajectory makes the serie very special for most of those who played it. First getting owned, then sweating profusely, then dominating.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Part of this game being far easier than it was in the past are the load times. You die on the PS3 version grats wait 2 minutes to load. You die here and you're right back into the fucking fight.

Lets not even get into the 60fps difference.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
To be fair, the Souls game are not hard. They are hard at first because there are not many games like them that require a modicum of caution and restrain. Once you understand that, they are not hard. A later step is mastering them and realizing you can actually run around and be aggressive. I think this trajectory makes the serie very special for most of those who played it. First getting owned, then sweating profusely, then dominating.

i haven't played souls/bloodborne in a while but it felt like you really had to memorize a lot of boss attack patterns in that game, like if boss does X Y and Z in that order you gotta do A, if he does X X Y you gotta do B, etc. If you fuckup you die. While in Demons the bosses rarely had more than 1 or 2 attacks and just dodging like a tard usually works.

Also the grass stuff felt a lot more forgiving than estus flask, I routinely would chug like 20 grasses in some fights (FUCK YOU MONK WITH STUPID HAT) while as i recall you were always limited in flasks to a very low amount of HP recovery.

most of the Demons Souls bosses were kinda cheesy anyways, like Penetrator is super hard if you don't have that Onion Knight to help you, but a pretty stupid fight when he helps. The Thief Ring also was crazy good to back off and heal up for almost every boss, for a lot of them with the thief ring you could just magic or bow from a distance and never even draw aggro, lol

man I wish there was a Demons Souls 2 haha

Araxen

Penetrator I found easy once you get past the learning curve on his attacks. The learning curve is just knowing when to roll. His attacks have a deceptive animation to them. I was finding myself rolling sooner than I should have. Once I fixed that, he was easy.

I really hope they either "remaster" Bloodbourne or fix the FPS for it on PS5. I never finished the DLC, but I don't want to deal with 30 FPS gameplay.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The great thing about BB is it's modern enough to just need 60 FPS + 4k or some AA to feel like a whole new game.