Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Juvarisx

Florida
I mean its not really a contest, 4K Blu Rays are vastly superior to "4k" streaming. As for them delaminating, I guess its how you keep them, I have my dad's cd's from the 80's and they are all fine as are my PS1 games from the mid 90's.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I mean its not really a contest, 4K Blu Rays are vastly superior to "4k" streaming. As for them delaminating, I guess its how you keep them, I have my dad's cd's from the 80's and they are all fine as are my PS1 games from the mid 90's.
maybe its an urban legend, but ive heard that CDs delaminate. i also heard that cassette tapes go bad too. mine from the 80s are still fine.

Juvarisx

Florida
maybe its an urban legend, but ive heard that CDs delaminate. i also heard that cassette tapes go bad too. mine from the 80s are still fine.

Its probably true if you keep em in an attic or barn or something where the weather changes and they feel the effect or hot and cold.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its probably true if you keep em in an attic or barn or something where the weather changes and they feel the effect or hot and cold.
i mean yeah, my parents had a bunch of 8 tracks in the attic and they all turned into goo. but supposedly all that stuff is supposed to just go bad from age.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think even 4k streaming (non HDR) looks worse than 1080p blu-ray. Streaming is so constrained by bit rate.

spronk

FPS noob

Apple TV+ is 26 Mbps, D+ and Netflix are ~16 Mbps, while UHDs generally run 50-60 Mbps although they can jump to 90 during complex scenes, like Dune. Not sure if thats just video or also includes audio though.

Best option is to build a Nas/Plex server and get high encode 4K UHDs with good sound, then you don't need to swap discs and any home network can handle 100 MBps easy, even over wifi a new mesh 802.11ax (Wifi6) system can run up to 700 Mbps.

Its pretty easy too since there are honestly only like 50-100 movies where high encodes matter, a lot of movies I keep stored at 1080p. Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Crank, etc don't need high bitrate but Star Wars, MCU, John Wick, Fury Road, Godfather (new 4K remastered), etc are great maxxed out. Plex figures it all out automatically and has a nice interface for any modern smart TV so you don't have to worry about it being too hard for wife/kids/etc.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought Vinal just has such a unique sound. Nothing about delaminating ect

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Now that streaming dominates most everything, vinyl has actually become the most purchased physical media type again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Apple TV+ is 26 Mbps, D+ and Netflix are ~16 Mbps, while UHDs generally run 50-60 Mbps although they can jump to 90 during complex scenes, like Dune. Not sure if thats just video or also includes audio though.

Best option is to build a Nas/Plex server and get high encode 4K UHDs with good sound, then you don't need to swap discs and any home network can handle 100 MBps easy, even over wifi a new mesh 802.11ax (Wifi6) system can run up to 700 Mbps.

Its pretty easy too since there are honestly only like 50-100 movies where high encodes matter, a lot of movies I keep stored at 1080p. Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Crank, etc don't need high bitrate but Star Wars, MCU, John Wick, Fury Road, Godfather (new 4K remastered), etc are great maxxed out. Plex figures it all out automatically and has a nice interface for any modern smart TV so you don't have to worry about it being too hard for wife/kids/etc.
Yeah, I routinely update my collection whenever I find a 4K remux on IPT and just save it to my NAS. Since I didn't know and had to look it up myself, remux is the term for a full bitrate copy of the original, so you're getting the exact same viewing and audio experience as if you had the 4K UHD disc. They are usually 50+ GB but storage space is fairly cheap if you don't need every movie that ever existed.

The only thing I wish I had over my current setup is a way to play the full disc image from KODI so I could have the entire disc with the extra features, etc. I know there are various programs I could play them with, but I vastly prefer KODI on my Nvidia Shield/TV setup...and let's be honest, most extra features are worthless and maybe only watched once anyway. I already get commentaries and shit with the extra audio tracks on the remuxes.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
OK, thanks. I must have been confused. Are the multiple timelines separate from the multiple universes?

Should be pretty much the same thing. Multiple timelines make it seem like universes were the same until a certain point in time where they diverged and 1 universe became 2.

While multiple universes could all have been different from the start.

So basically multiple timelines are all multiple universes, but not all multiple universes have to represent multiple timelines.

But in the MCU it seems that they do

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought Vinal just has such a unique sound. Nothing about delaminating ect

I thought the difference was that they're analog while all the current things are digital. Some people claim that no matter how high the bitrate they can hear the digitization. So Vinyl or casset are the only options and vinyl lasts longer.

For me a bitrate of 8 is probably fine for music.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought the difference was that they're analog while all the current things are digital. Some people claim that no matter how high the bitrate they can hear the digitization. So Vinyl or casset are the only options and vinyl lasts longer.

Im terrible when it comes to TV picture, sound, ect trying to show me the difference. I bought 3 new tvs 65" to 85 and I can't tell normally but.... My 55" Sony from 2012 looks best for Arcane/animation and now I watch or sleep in that room when anything animated come out

Last edited:

Brad2770

Im terrible when it comes to TV picture, sound, ect trying to show me the difference. I bought 3 new tvs 65" to 85 and I can't tell normally but.... My 55" Sony from 2012 looks best for Arcane/animation and now I watch or sleep in that room when anything animated come out

My 55” Vizio went out. Got a 65” Samsung. Pretty much looks the same, but colors look better. Video games and animated shows are definitely more enjoyable on the Samsung.

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah, I routinely update my collection whenever I find a 4K remux on IPT and just save it to my NAS. Since I didn't know and had to look it up myself, remux is the term for a full bitrate copy of the original, so you're getting the exact same viewing and audio experience as if you had the 4K UHD disc. They are usually 50+ GB but storage space is fairly cheap if you don't need every movie that ever existed.

The only thing I wish I had over my current setup is a way to play the full disc image from KODI so I could have the entire disc with the extra features, etc. I know there are various programs I could play them with, but I vastly prefer KODI on my Nvidia Shield/TV setup...and let's be honest, most extra features are worthless and maybe only watched once anyway. I already get commentaries and shit with the extra audio tracks on the remuxes.

If you have a qnap I was able to get Kodi working again recently

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you have a qnap I was able to get Kodi working again recently
You mean for playing the entire BDMV image or whatever the fuck it is called? How did you do that?

I have a Synology NAS that streams to my Shield. Kodi is on the Shield.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The steelbook went on sale this morning. Got it.
Now I'm just waiting for a region a version of Spider-Man no way home 3d. It'll come out eventually. Region b version Congress out in August.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Eh I get it. I still buy and collect records with some frequency, because I like the tactile nature of pulling out a record, playing it front to back etc. It doesn't make a ton of sense and my wife thinks its absurd, but it reminds me of something I guess.
Don't let them take it away from you, old man. Phonographs are the tits.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

It's hard to say.

Having recently upgraded my system to new front speakers, newer home cinema amp and separate stereo amp to drive fronts with new sub, then I definitely hear details in music that weren't audible before.

It was that "effect" that made me decide to buy a turntable and start buying my favourite albums.

I get spotify free with my mobile contract, so no need to duplicate that even though Tidal, Qobuz etc are higher quality. Buying vinyl is more reserved for my favourite albums when I just want to sit there and enjoy the album from the master listening position. Is it better quality than Spotify? well the act of getting up to adjust the needle rules out any serious tests in the manner of switching between spotify/tidal etc

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I have pretty much been done with Marvel movies since Endgame knowing the next version of everything was going to be dialed up to turbogay even so was curious about this one ended up putting on my pirates hat and found a stream easy enough. Wasn't even worth the price of free, this movie was boring and painfully stupid.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Haven't read the thread since the movie opened, to avoid spoilers. Worth seeing in theater or just wait for my couch and big screen? Or just avoid altogether?