Evil Dead Remake

Cybsled

The original Evil Dead was unrated because Raimi didn't go through the ratings board. ED2 as well.

Cthon_sl

shitlord
Holy wtf. Trailer seemed a little darker than the original movies...let's hope there's some comedy built in. It's what made the first EDs great. Either way, going to see it fo' sho.

Cybsled

The first ED didn't really have much in the way of humor. Stuff didn't get funny until ED2.

Caliane

This makes me question the authenticity of the movie and the rating board.

If the movie is a true remake how did it go overboard? Or is the board using different standards now. What we watched as kids is no longer safe for the juvenile minds of this day and age?
you are just NOW questioning the ratings board?

MPAA is some serious bullshit.

Sulrn

Deuces
you are just NOW questioning the ratings board?

MPAA is some serious bullshit.
I've long since questioned the massive amount of influence of major corporations (see Wal Mart) and censorship boards have on US culture. I just think it's an interesting point of discussion that if the movie is as true to form as the trailer/comments show - nothing new is being presented from the original (which I first saw ~9 years ago) tree rape and all so why move to NC-17 from a previously R movie...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You guys need to watch the documentary "This Film Has Not Been Rated". All your questions on movie ratings will be answered. Basically hollywood, the movie theaters and the church are working together to rate your movies.

Sulrn

Deuces
You guys need to watch the documentary "This Film Has Not Been Rated". All your questions on movie ratings will be answered. Basically hollywood, the movie theaters and the church are working together to rate your movies.
Seen it. Other sources (NPR for one) do a much better job talking about the hypocrisy of the rating scheme -- especially in relation to film festivals and the like.

velk

Trakanon Raider
If the movie is a true remake how did it go overboard? Or is the board using different standards now. What we watched as kids is no longer safe for the juvenile minds of this day and age?
It's not - check out the trailer, the remake is far bloodier and more graphic than the original was.

HorrorFK_sl

shitlord
I've long since questioned the massive amount of influence of major corporations (see Wal Mart) and censorship boards have on US culture. I just think it's an interesting point of discussion that if the movie is as true to form as the trailer/comments show - nothing new is being presented from the original (which I first saw ~9 years ago) tree rape and all so why move to NC-17 from a previously R movie...
Answer - The tree was flaccid in the original.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i just want to point the fact that no one in the world give a shit about movie rating. Only in america something like this can influence the success of a movie. we have a rating system too of course, but it's simply ignored by everyone. There is no problem as society if a 15yo go watch a tarantino movie, or 300 or a horror movie

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It isn't so much that the people care, it is that the theaters will not carry NC-17 movies. I think there may be other distribution/marketing restrictions, idk. But the loss of theater presence is the killer. There is an audience for all kinds of movies of all kinds of content.

But there are some people who use the ratings as a guide for their kids, and probably think the ratings are imposed by some sort of fair process.

fucker_sl

shitlord
maybe i didnt explain myself well...what i meant was the movie producers themself dont give a shit about rating. a movie must be rated as law dictate itsure , but no one will care if a movie is rated under 13 or is R rated. they know no one give a shit and so they dont care themself

what i simply notice is how much influence it has in usa. i know we went past the "angry parents against the violence in cinema" around mid 80 here. So I wonder if the producers are simply paranoid, or ppl would really pick the torchs to burn down the cinemas if a violent movie was rated too low

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Certain groups pressure movies chains not to show NC-17 movies. I have no idea what they use to pressure them, threat of protest or something, who knows. There is also still a stigma against those movies among the general populace. So if you're ordering movies for a chain, you know that if you pick an NC-17 movie it will A: make less money off the bat and B: put your other movies at risk due to groups that have nothing better to do. Add to that the rating process which is completely arbitrary and hidden, it really is a stupid system.

I'm no expert, I only know what I have seen in a couple of documentaries. But producers know that getting an NC-17 rating is essentially the death knell of any profit for their movie. I really don't think this is so much the fault of the people as the system. If you removed the ratings system, or just reformed, opened, and standardized it, then I don't think it would have the impact it has now.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its like this. if you want a hollywood movie you have to go through hollywood. hollywood wants to make money so they arent going to just allow you to shoot and then release whatever you want. you have to release what they want and it has to pass the ratings board and if it doesnt, it gets an nc17 rating which means the theater (unless its an arthouse theater) will most likely not even allow your film to be shown there. who is on the ratings board? members of hollywood, the movie theater chains and the church. so yeah, good luck with that indie or foreign film you plan on shooting with those edgy sex scenes. good luck with never making a dime on it either. even if your film is fine for the rest of the world, but if nobody ever hears about it and you have no distributor, then you just wasted your time.
maybe you should have made that hollywood film where it has a number next to it because thats what worked in the past and nobody wants to take risks anymore because films cost too fucking much to make.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Evil dead premiers tonight at Sxsw. It's the only showing, so I may try to make it, but will miss the interactive opening party, which is usually the best party at sx. Bruce Campbell isn't slated to show up either. Will update if I go see it. Some decent looking other films showing too.