Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Tough call on 4th spot. Shorts still gets targets and he found the endzone this week(HOLY FUCK!) but he was also hurt and you don't know how much he'll play Thursday. Sucks to lock down a roster spot that early and have it likely wasted.

Underwood is out. You're basically gambling on a guy breaking one and he gets so few targets it's not worth it.

Lafell is getting a decent amount of targets but he never seems to break anything. That's unlikely to change against NO.

Hilton is a huge disappointment and that's not going to change playing the Bengals with a double team on him start to finish.

I think Shorts wins by default. He gets the most targets and he's playing the worst defense. Just pray the groin doesn't hold him back and that he accidents his way in to paydirt again. Watch real close going up to gametime tomorrow to see if he'll be limited.
Make it two weeks in a row now. About fucking time.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
How bad is the weather in Cinci supposed to be? It's either AJ Green, Victor Cruz or Fred Jackson for me. Playoffs on the line.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's snowing right now, but it's expected to stop around kickoff or right after kickoff. It shouldn't affect throwing the ball too much.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I am in the playoffs playing the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league (who made the playoffs by getting really lucky with their schedule) and I have Adrian Peterson and Eddy Lacy... who are now both out with injuries... FMFFL

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck Oakland defense. I knew they were shit but I read so many damn advice threads and everybody ranked them so high. Nope, -2 points for me in playoff week, yes negative fucking 2. Well, jets give up the most points to opposing defense so start oakland, worst case they still should get you some points. Plus, I usually have 49ers defense but going up against Seattle just didn't sound like a great idea, still they got 14 points. Now I'm out of playoffs...Fuuuuuuuuu.

Also, fuck you Morris for being shit. Last week I play woodhead and sit Morris, woodhead gets like 3 points and morris gets 15. This week I play Morris and sit Woodhead and Morris gets 3, woodhead gets 19. Fuck this.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Playing Oakland defense over SF defense was a bad move in the first place. People judge matchups too highly most of the time. Go with the better option if you have one. Matchups should only be considered for options that are equal in talent and skill.

Martellus Bennett did just enough to get me a Week 1 win. My opponent played McGloin, Decker and AZ defense so he did pretty well. I won by 2.3 points.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
God bless Josh McCown!

Tale of two leagues for me this year. Both playoffs, but in one, I luck into getting Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon off the waiver wire with basically the team I drafted (not counting fucking C.J. Spiller...) - the other, half of my lineup is now different from my draft due to injuries and just general ineptitude. Luckily, that's an IDP league and most people have no clue how to draft defensive players (yahoo's rankings are so terrible).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Luckily, that's an IDP league and most people have no clue how to draft defensive players (yahoo's rankings are so terrible).
I'm also in an IDP league. Vontaze Burfict has been a consistent 10 points per week. Earl Thomas was hot, but he's not doing as much for me these days.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I picked up Burfict around Week 6 or so and he's been pretty tits. I made the mistake of sitting him for Tamba Hali the week he had that monster game, though (10 tackles, forced fumble/fumble recovery/defensive TD...27.50 pts on my bench that week to Hali's 3.5)

Ditto on Earl Thomas. I've been sitting him the past few weeks also.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I'm in a money league. Three weeks I take a loss, and at this time I'm the division leader by 1 game. I checked the 2nd place teams match up the night before the game, and see he is playing a bad team that is eliminated from the playoffs. The eliminated team had his roster set. After the Monday game I see the second place team won with an awful score ( 82 points in a ppr league) I'm like shit I can't believe he scored a win with that total.

I look at the match up, and see the eliminated team dumped two players from his starting line up, and on to his bench, as well as slipping a guy on his bye week off his bench into his flex spot. He lost by 0.8 of a point thanks to Ridley fumbling it away, and getting benched. Yeah I was pissed so I contact the league manager, and bitch at him over this shady bull shit. Explained to him the situation, guy logged in Sunday morning, he actually made a FA pick up that morning, and dumped a starter for that move, dropped two more starters on to his bench, and brought a guy on his bye on to his starting roster from his bench. Of course there was not a thing he can do, but put a message on the board. /rage.

So fast forward to this past week. I'm still a game behind the team that benefited from that gift win. He has to lose, I have to win to get into the playoffs. He's projected to win by nearly 50 points against a last place team. He winds up getting screwed by injuries with Bush, Peterson, and his TE went out with a concussion in the first quarter, and lost by 8 points. Sweet fucking justice. I wound up just squeaking by for a win to get the last spot.

I log into the site today, and see the league manager posted a message that no one is allowed to pick up waiver players except for playoff teams, as he doesn't want to deal with people complaining about possible collusion between other teams. Asshole.

I barely know the league manager, and all these guys are his friends, whom I don't know at all. Had I not had money riding on this, I'd still be ticked off over people being "that guy" the ones who give up, and never set their rosters. I certainly alluded to the potential collusion going on, but I kept that behind closed doors with him. Gotta love the jab on the main page for all to see.

Was I being paranoid?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
All I can say is that I am glad I don't play in a league where that might even be an issue. All friends/family and nobody thinks that is going on at all. Also, I have prizes set for the top scoring week during the regular season and the top scoring week during the playoffs just to give everyone something to play for until the very end. Also give the winner of the losers bracket their choice of draft position for next years draft.

Collusion can be tough to prove and as a LM I wouldn't want to even deal with it to begin with. You were right to think that collusion could be happening but I don't think the LM is trying to be an asshole about your complaint, rather he is just trying to wash his hands of the issue because really it comes down to he-said-she-said. My advice would be to find a better league if you really don't trust the people in it.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will certainly be the last year I join that league. Our LM used all those tricks as well to try to keep people interested. It worked for the most part. There was no possible way I could prove collusion, definitely knew that going in. I really didn't even want to bitch about it with the thought being if I just won it wouldn't even matter. Was just such a kick to the nuts It got to me.

I'll certainly be sticking with friends, and family in the future.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So I am benching Cruz (@home vs Seahawks) for T.Y. Hilton (@home vs Texans). Correct choice, right?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cruz vs. Hilton is rough. I have them both and I don't want to play either. Hilton is garbage now, his QB puts up 41 points and Hilton manages a fucking ZERO? Cruz hasn't sniffed the end zone since week 3 and Eli is awful and he's playing Seattle?

So my version is as follows

1 slot: Cruz, Hilton, Mike Wallace, or Michael Floyd?

Also, I've been stuck streaming defenses for most of the season. Sometimes it works sometimes it bombs. Yeah I did like Sidian this week and played the Anyone-vs.-the-Jets method and played Oakland. It's a method that has worked great for me most of the season.

Now I have no idea who the fuck to pick up in the morning. This is who is available, you can see all the ones I'm eyeballing with the little watchlist flag.

J86uwoK.png

Leaning towards Bears or Saints.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I am benching Cruz (@home vs Seahawks) for T.Y. Hilton (@home vs Texans). Correct choice, right?
They both have been pretty invisible lately. I trust Hilton way more at this point though, especially with the Giants playing the SeaHawks.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cruz vs. Hilton is rough. I have them both and I don't want to play either. Hilton is garbage now, his QB puts up 41 points and Hilton manages a fucking ZERO? Cruz hasn't sniffed the end zone since week 3 and Eli is awful and he's playing Seattle?

So my version is as follows

1 slot: Cruz, Hilton, Mike Wallace, or Michael Floyd?

Also, I've been stuck streaming defenses for most of the season. Sometimes it works sometimes it bombs. Yeah I did like Sidian this week and played the Anyone-vs.-the-Jets method and played Oakland. It's a method that has worked great for me most of the season.

Now I have no idea who the fuck to pick up in the morning. This is who is available, you can see all the ones I'm eyeballing with the little watchlist flag.

J86uwoK.png

Leaning towards Bears or Saints.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm considering the Eagles if Peterson can't go. They aren't flashy, but have been very solid ever since the Denver game. It really depends on your scoring stats though. The league that I'm trying this in doesn't use yardage given up as a stat. The Eagles give up a ton of yards, but don't give up a lot of points lately.