Fear the Walking Dead

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's trendy to have gay characters so I won't go all in like you have, but it would definitely fit Strand's character to just be pretending to be gay for the long con.

Overall, I'm enjoying this show as much as I enjoy TWD. Turn off your brain and enjoy the ride. I feel like you can't set your expectations too high with any story that has zombies as the main antagonist.

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
The only thing that bothers me when watching TWD /Fearis that people who turns, suddenly moves in sloth-speeed and growles, alot, so much that in fact getting surprised by one should be nigh impossible, that leads to the question on how the hell they could wipe out the US?

It would have been a different show entirely and probably way more scary if they moved as in 28 days / weeks later or like in WWZ even, more often than not I find myself laughing
frown.png
, previous episode at the beach was just too much, they could have had settled down for a picnic at the beach when they first spotted them.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The only thing that bothers me when watching TWD /Fearis that people who turns, suddenly moves in sloth-speeed and growles, alot, so much that in fact getting surprised by one should be nigh impossible, that leads to the question on how the hell they could wipe out the US?
I've run that through my head a few times, just doesn't ever make sense. Even if the first city where the outbreak happened got over-run to a high degree, due to initial confusion and then panic, traffic log-jammed as everyone tried to get away. . . that's only the first city, the zombies are going to what? Slow walk to the next city / large town? A solid several hours away. Surely by then a military response can be arranged and do even a basic thing like destroy a few bridges to cut the road corridor. Monitor their movement and contain. While co-ordinating a relocation of people to make a safety or exclusion zone.

The only explanation that works ( basically used in TWD and FTWD ) is a virus ( or whatever it is / infection ) that is airborne, that no-one knew about or identified, that potentially a large number of people had for a while before they then started to turn zombie.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

It would have been a different show entirely and probably way more scary if they moved as in 28 days / weeks later or like in WWZ even, more often than not I find myself laughing
frown.png
, previous episode at the beach was just too much, they could have had settled down for a picnic at the beach when they first spotted them.
I think it has been stated a few times, that in this universe the concept of zombies being a thing never existed. That is why they do not call them zombies, and call them walkers, biters, ramblers, etc.

It's trendy to have gay characters so I won't go all in like you have, but it would definitely fit Strand's character to just be pretending to be gay for the long con.

Overall, I'm enjoying this show as much as I enjoy TWD. Turn off your brain and enjoy the ride. I feel like you can't set your expectations too high with any story that has zombies as the main antagonist.
The actor is gay, so him portraying a gay character isn't that much of a stretch for him.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I've run that through my head a few times, just doesn't ever make sense. Even if the first city where the outbreak happened got over-run to a high degree, due to initial confusion and then panic, traffic log-jammed as everyone tried to get away. . . that's only the first city, the zombies are going to what? Slow walk to the next city / large town? A solid several hours away. Surely by then a military response can be arranged and do even a basic thing like destroy a few bridges to cut the road corridor. Monitor their movement and contain. While co-ordinating a relocation of people to make a safety or exclusion zone.

The only explanation that works ( basically used in TWD and FTWD ) is a virus ( or whatever it is / infection ) that is airborne, that no-one knew about or identified, that potentially a large number of people had for a while before they then started to turn zombie.
If you remember back to TWD they had a guy inside a tank in Atlanta that was overrun. Like how could these shit walkers ever do anything to a guy in a tank? He could have driven away, waited until he had cover and made a break for it on foot, used the coaxial machine gun to slaughter zombies forever... etc.

TWD zombies are generally not scary. Watch how Rick and his crew handle a large group hand to hand methodically.

HUH_sl

shitlord

It's a pretty common caveat of zombie stories to just accept the fact the entire world population is 'infected.' Like a flip is switched and suddenly every dead body is now a zombie. So they start popping up everywhere all at once which helps make the complete collapse of modern society seem more plausible. It goes back to Romero's original movies where the only explanation you get is just TV nut job telling everyone that 'when hell is full the dead will walk the earth.' Trying to explain it away with viruses or actual science just opens it up to nitpicking.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. Romero isn't a thing in this universe. You have to view it as though these people have zero concept whatsoever of what a zombie is.

If you concede that, I don't think the outbreak is unrealistic at all. How many people die across the world on a given day? How many people would be shocked enough to allow those risen dead people close enough to bite them? And then how many people would get bitten during that initial outbreak not putting two and two together that bites spread the disease? Finally, how many accidentally bitten people will be stubborn and hold out refusing to sacrifice themselves? There would be tons of accidental bites and confusion at the start of this.

I don't think the idea of slow zombies taking over a world without any zombie lore is that out of the question.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Why must they always write an idiot into shows to create false drama and tension? It's such a cheesy cheater's way out. It's bad writing. Fuuuuckk. Fuck you Chris, you idiot. Die. I am so sick of this lazy writing that is all over television.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's a pretty common caveat of zombie stories to just accept the fact the entire world population is 'infected.' Like a flip is switched and suddenly every dead body is now a zombie. So they start popping up everywhere all at once which helps make the complete collapse of modern society seem more plausible. It goes back to Romero's original movies where the only explanation you get is just TV nut job telling everyone that 'when hell is full the dead will walk the earth.'Trying to explain it away with viruses or actual science just opens it up to nitpicking.
I agree. There's so many things about most zombies that completely defy everything we know about science and biology that they shouldn't even try and explain it.

Walkingaround when there's no blood pumping through their body to perfuse any tissue, moving body parts that lysosomes would have already completely broken down, having an endless supply of energy while simultaneously needing to eat people, etc.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I agree. There's so many things about most zombies that completely defy everything we know about science and biology that they shouldn't even try and explain it.

Walkingaround when there's no blood pumping through their body to perfuse any tissue, moving body parts that lysosomes would have already completely broken down, having an endless supply of energy while simultaneously needing to eat people, etc.
I don't believe they need to eat people, they just want to, like a lot. Aren't all the zombies in TheWalkingdead slow now because it's been long enough that they've decomposed? Obviously it's all magical, but just for argument's sake. That's why stuff like 28 days later is scarier. You could conceivably argue that if a virus was strange enough to create its own unique kind of cell structure that that would allow them to keep moving ala ant zombie fungus.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Why must they always write an idiot into shows to create false drama and tension? It's such a cheesy cheater's way out. It's bad writing. Fuuuuckk. Fuck you Chris, you idiot. Die. I am so sick of this lazy writing that is all over television.
I told you guys I hated Chris!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The need to kill off Chris. That junkie kid turned into a real good character though.

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
I don't think the idea of slow zombies taking over a world without any zombie lore is that out of the question.
The key to battle pandemic events such as a theoretical Zombie apocalypse, is communication, slow moving growling zombies might have stood a chance prior the invention of the telegraph, but in 2016, no I dont think so, sure the initial shock would probably have high casualities amongst nearby relatives and some unlucky people that happened to be there where a newly deceased body woke up, but after that, theres no way as I see it that a whole country would succumb to it.

Had for example the spanish flu been in 1815 instead of 1918, I daresay that way more then 3% of the worlds population would have died.

Ganthorn

N00b
The key to battle pandemic events such as a theoretical Zombie apocalypse, is communication, slow moving growling zombies might have stood a chance prior the invention of the telegraph, but in 2016, no I dont think so, sure the initial shock would probably have high casualities amongst nearby relatives and some unlucky people that happened to be there where a newly deceased body woke up, but after that, theres no way as I see it that a whole country would succumb to it.

Had for example the spanish flu been in 1815 instead of 1918, I daresay that way more then 3% of the worlds population would have died.
The only way it would work is if the initial outbreak caused a lot of people to die from something like the flu to cause a large number of people to turn in a very short amount of time.