First EverQuest, 3 screenshots

Hadden

Trakanon Raider
Sorry for the bump but just stumbled on this alt Keith Parkinson art for the EQ covers and thought they belonged here:

cover_sketch.jpg

djinnis_lair.jpg

erudite_barbarian.jpg

fv_alt.jpg

fv_poses.jpg

velious_alt_cover.jpg

velious_alt_cover2.jpg

velious_alt_cover3.jpg

cgw2.jpg

• 16Like
Reactions: 15 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Keith was the man. Hate that he's gone. He's the hero MMO's need right now.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I've got a Zip Disk full of old pics from 99-00, do they even sell Zip drives anymore?

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just doing some cleaning this week getting ready for a house move. Ran across this. No idea why I still have it, but can't bring myself to throw it away! The nostalgia is strong.

2018-04-13 14.27.55.jpg

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah I'll necro this... Played on Cazic Thule, this one brought back many good memories from the CTC. Thanks for all the shares. Wish I still had all of my screenshots from 20 years ago...

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There is something about the scale and epic nature of the EQ world that I would love to see in a modern MMO.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is something about the scale and epic nature of the EQ world that I would love to see in a modern MMO.

Mystery, no hand holding, no quest hub bullshit, hand made loot that actually mattered. No excel sheet +3 random generated crap. Of course all this stuff gets found out later but still...There was tons that was wrong that many games improved upon later, but while improving, the games also lost their soul.

I do have to add though that if a game came out today with a modern engine and basically the same mechanics of EQ classic, size and scope of the world, hand made loot, same diku type combat but modernized with a bit of bling and maybe a hotbar of skills for melee, Im betting it would do well. And no I dont mean Brads wet dream made in his garage of ferraris by industry has beens.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Mystery, no hand holding, no quest hub bullshit, hand made loot that actually mattered. No excel sheet +3 random generated crap. Of course all this stuff gets found out later but still...There was tons that was wrong that many games improved upon later, but while improving, the games also lost their soul.

I do have to add though that if a game came out today with a modern engine and basically the same mechanics of EQ classic, size and scope of the world, hand made loot, same diku type combat but modernized with a bit of bling and maybe a hotbar of skills for melee, Im betting it would do well. And no I dont mean Brads wet dream made in his garage of ferraris by industry has beens.

You can't go home again. It would never work in the modern era. Data miners, min-maxers, hackers would figure out shit ASAP.

Plus the only loot we ever really cared about in EQ1 was eventually nerfed or removed from the game. Sure, we remember stuff like Guise of the Deceiver or Holgresh Elder Beads, but we also forget all the trash items that dropped from hard raid bosses that was only fit for alts, beggars, or feeding to NPCs to troll people.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

That stuff is true but I am not even talking about that. I just mean the scale of of some of those zones. Kael Drakkel as an example. Even in WoW they have yet put anything of that scale.

iu

Or ToV

iu

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Adding the fear factor back into the MMO genre would do a lot for it. Yes, data miners and hackers would figure shit out quickly but they can't design shit out of the game.
  • No add-ons allowed.
  • Go primitive with the interface. No maps, no complicated rotations.
  • Make the game world scary, which means making death inconvenient enough to want to avoid.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
You can't go home again. It would never work in the modern era. Data miners, min-maxers, hackers would figure out shit ASAP.
That's pretty much it. EverQuest was released at a point in time where the technology to trivialize everything and easily share the information didn't yet exist, which allowed it to possess an air of mystery that couldn't otherwise exist. Would be much harder to achieve this in the current day. It's also a reason why Pantheon is dead out the gates if it ever does "release". The people who will have paid for Beta access to the game are the same types who will look to data mine and exploit everything they can find.

• 1Like