Fuck Comcast

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
I really wish these companies would get the idea of on demanding everything, I personally could care less about watching commercials in the program, what I do care about is not having to be on the couch at exactly 7pm-8pm to watch something I am interested in.

I am just surprised they haven't realized that is why Netflix is so damn popular.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Netflix is also popular because it's $8 a month.

The general consensus seems to be that the DirecTV dvr is head and shoulders better than Comcast's but it has fast-forward/rewind gayness as well. Once in a while if you hit the "skip ahead 30 seconds" button too many times quickly it jumps all the way to the end of the recording. This is particularly infuriating when you were looking forward to watching a football game and the final score is on the screen at the end of the recording. Also, if you pause it and then hit the fast forward button, it advances one frame per button press, but if you press rewind, it may go back one frame, or it may go back 2 minutes, or forward two minutes, or some other totally fucking random thing. It doesn't seem that difficult to manage fast forward and rewind, but DVR makers fail at it.

It works flawlessly in Windows Media Center, but since there are no cablecards for DirecTV that isn't a great solution either.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really just want to see their code and the rats nest of spaghetti code they're working with. I'd fix it for free if it meant I could use the DVR properly.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If DTV DVR had the "skip commercial" button that the Dish one had...all would be right within the world.

Speaking of which I wonder how ...I think it's NBC's lawsuit against Dish for having that button is going.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Interestingly enough Comcast's DVR box has a skip forward functionality that doesn't have a button included on their remote. When I used to have a Comcast DVR and used my logitech remote to control it, I used the functionality to skip forward during commercial breaks. It just skips ahead time, not a commercial or whatever, but it's easier than playing the FF and stop game.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
For the person who works at Comcast. When the fuck are they going to get some new Dvr's? For the price I pay for cable you would think they could afford to get some new equipment.
Soon, actually. The product is called X1 and has a 1TB drive and 3 or 4 tuners in it. It also has a shiny new guide and interface. It's being rolled out market by market at this time.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Quick question. Through firefox I can install an add-on that lets me watch hulu and all of the content on netflix (in Canada a lot of content is blocked). On my Panasonic Bluray player hooked up to my tv I can also watch netflix, but a lot of content is blocked. The question is, is there a way to modify my bluray player to get past the great internet wall of Canada.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
You might be able to use a VPN if your TV supports it and you have access to one based in the US.

I set up a VPN on a computer in Switzerland I have access to and I can access location-restricted content in the US. I haven't managed to make it work with Boxee, however, even though it supports VPN. I'll have to play around with it some more.

Not sure if there are any free VPN in the US that have sufficient bandwidth for streaming TV content, but you might be able to find one that isn't too high cost.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the info Soriak. I'm going to start by reading the manual if I can find it, but I don't know of any VPNs. It's not important, but I would like to see future Tv/BluRay/Game boxes have the option of modification in the future for this reason heh.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Interestingly enough Comcast's DVR box has a skip forward functionality that doesn't have a button included on their remote. When I used to have a Comcast DVR and used my logitech remote to control it, I used the functionality to skip forward during commercial breaks. It just skips ahead time, not a commercial or whatever, but it's easier than playing the FF and stop game.
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...-comcast-dvrs/

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Soon, actually. The product is called X1 and has a 1TB drive and 3 or 4 tuners in it. It also has a shiny new guide and interface. It's being rolled out market by market at this time.
So apparently it is available in my area. Since I am not a new customer I am not eligible for it. My fucking bill with taxes for triple play is $198 a fucking month. Fuck comcast.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Quick question. Through firefox I can install an add-on that lets me watch hulu and all of the content on netflix (in Canada a lot of content is blocked). On my Panasonic Bluray player hooked up to my tv I can also watch netflix, but a lot of content is blocked. The question is, is there a way to modify my bluray player to get past the great internet wall of Canada.
You can use a VPN and assign the information in your router so everything connecting through it looks like its somewhere else. Plenty of services around but they do charge.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
You can use a VPN and assign the information in your router so everything connecting through it looks like its somewhere else. Plenty of services around but they do charge.
I don't think all routers can do that, though... unless I'm blind and just can't find it on mine. (The SamKnows Netgear router.)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I got the box in my bedroom all set up.

Now my DVR box in the living room fried....I can hear it's on...but nothing displays on the box itself and black screen on my TV. They said they could send me a new box and it would be here by Tuesday. I asked the soonest they could get a tech here as I'd pay for that whatever.

Tuesday.

Fucking fuck...seriously? When I order new services you can get a tech to me 18 hours later. When I need repairs I have to wait almost a week?

Go fuck yourselves Comcast.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Just a quick update: factory resetting the router somehow did the trick - don't ask me why. Now I can use PPTP to connect via Boxee to my machine in Switzerland and watch local content here. I did have to set encryption as required on Boxee, whereas it works with encryption optional on my desktop PC. Again, no clue why. But this is still awesome... soccer will be way more fun now that I can watch it streaming on my TV rather than on some laggy Russian channel.
wink.png

Also seems like it would be easier than handling it at the level of the router, because I'd want to disconnect it for US content as well as for my Xbox, for example. Unless there's a way to have it go through VPN only for certain domains, it'd be much more of a hassle to change the router settings rather than clicking 'connect to VPN' in the device settings.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So apparently it is available in my area. Since I am not a new customer I am not eligible for it. My fucking bill with taxes for triple play is $198 a fucking month. Fuck comcast.
Call and cancel. When they try to get you to stay, tell them you want the new customer package. Usually it works, if it doesn't call back and try it on another person.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I got the box in my bedroom all set up.

Now my DVR box in the living room fried....I can hear it's on...but nothing displays on the box itself and black screen on my TV. They said they could send me a new box and it would be here by Tuesday. I asked the soonest they could get a tech here as I'd pay for that whatever.

Tuesday.

Fucking fuck...seriously? When I order new services you can get a tech to me 18 hours later. When I need repairs I have to wait almost a week?

Go fuck yourselves Comcast.
Try calling them and saying can I just exchange the box at a comcast payment center. Dunno If you have any near you, but I have done that a couple times and they made sure they had one waiting at the center.

https://www.comcast.com/Localization...ntCenters.cspx

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Call and cancel. When they try to get you to stay, tell them you want the new customer package. Usually it works, if it doesn't call back and try it on another person.
Thanks, I'll try that. Really pisses me off that I have no alternative to Comcast. Where the fuck are you google fiber!