Furious 7 (2015)

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The Rock is shooting a minigun in the middle of a street, of course this is taking best picture. Other filmmakers should be thanking the ghost of Paul Walker this isn't a December release.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How the fuck did such terrible movies become so good?

If you look at the F&F formula and math it out, Torque 4 or 5 would probably be the greatest movie ever made. Bikers who know kung fu FOR NO FUCKING REASON. It can't miss!
I'd give most of the credit to Justin Lin. He took a series that was for all intents and purposes dead, made a movie without Diesel or Walker that stood on its own, and ended up turning the whole thing around to the point where it's now one of the most successful franchises in Hollywood history.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
It was on par with the last two F&F movies, I'd say. Definitely reminded me of how terrible an actor Paul Walker was. Some of the humor felt pretty forced and there were definitely a LOT of over-the-top, WTF scenes, but that's Fast and Furious for you.

Was anyone else disappointed that Paul Walker didn't die? Does that make me a bad person? Also, in that last scene where he pulls up next to Vin Diesel, was his face CGI'd in?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It was on par with the last two F&F movies, I'd say. Definitely reminded me of how terrible an actor Paul Walker was. Some of the humor felt pretty forced and there were definitely a LOT of over-the-top, WTF scenes, but that's Fast and Furious for you.

Was anyone else disappointed that Paul Walker didn't die? Does that make me a bad person? Also, in that last scene where he pulls up next to Vin Diesel, was his face CGI'd in?
I enjoyed it a lot. Sure, there were plenty of eye rolls to be had, but once you get past those, it was pretty much 3-5 minutes of exposition, 20+ minutes of over the top action, another 3-5 minutes to catch your breath, 20+ more minutes, etc. If you don't like these movies, you won't like this one. If you do, you'll enjoy it. Only bad part was Rhonda Cowsey's scene, but I'm biased. She did seriously look like a fucking cow next to Rodriguez though (whom I also hate, just less). God I hate that cunt.

Anyway, in regard to your spoiler, and a few other thoughts:
Pretty sure that whole beach scene was just his brother with a CGI face, and then as you mentioned the car scene was most likely CGI. The scenes didn't look too bad really, and if you didn't know he was dead you might not even really notice. Was fairly obvious on the beach that they kept his face turned away most of the time though. And sappy as it was, I sort of liked the little tribute and "happily ever after" they gave him. I think it would have been tacky to kill him. Let him ride off into the sunset, I'm fine with that.

Some of the things I had to eye roll away were Statham apparently being able to not only find them anywhere BEFORE the God's Eye thing (I guess that road wasn't that well guarded if he could just drive up in his specially made super car that I'm sure didn't take weeks to make), Statham being a special forces badass and not instantly beating the fuck out of Vin Diesel (I'mma give my boy The Rock a pass since he's awesome and wouldn't go down easy...not enough Rock scenes though), the helicopter blowing shit up for like half an hour and no one doing anything except scrambling some jets that apparently were 3 minutes out...ten minutes ago. The list goes on, but as I said, you skip past them because we're only really there to see them do crazy shit with cars.

One thing that I was pleased with, however, was the lack of betrayal by Kurt Russell. They had that set up perfectly for him to fuck Dom over, but he didn't, he actually followed through on his promise and even got shot in the process. I was dreading the double-cross right then, and when it didn't happen I was fucking thrilled. That needs to happen more in movies like this, because the betrayal is way overused and almost expected. I'm glad they didn't go with it.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Kurt Russell looked old damn...but actually badass. Look I knew what I was getting and the movie delivered. The transformation of the franchise after you watch some of these scenes makes you think man...the first movie really was about street racing. Now it's full on crazy shit where no one even suffers a headache from rolling in a car 15 times down a hill.

And I loved every minute. I thought it was great how they sent Paul Walker out. It did make me sad. The feels man.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
If FF8 has the now available Jeremy Clarkson to come in and fill for Paul Walker, this will officially become the best movie franchise ever.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Well...they could add

Lucas Black made a 20 sec cameo and I don't mean a rehash of his Tokyo Drift scene with Dom.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If FF8 has the now available Jeremy Clarkson to come in and fill for Paul Walker, this will officially become the best movie franchise ever.
Hah. Definitely this. Have him play himself, break the fourth wall and stare into the car mounted cam giving his brittish grin as he does some crazy drift jump over an armored vehicle.

efeMgs8.gif

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This one fell flat for me. I like the franchise, and in the context of that I enjoyed the last couple especially (outside of the infinite runway)... but there was too much to this one that just bothered me. I was bored through the first act or so, shortly after Kurt Russell (who was great) was introduced they were suddenly in driving out of an airplane because I'd dozed off
frown.png

Paul Walker tribute was well done, tears all around. RIP.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree that this one didn't quite measure up to the rest. I've watched the previous 6 in the past week just make sure everything was familiar. This was my least favorite entry. I was walking the boredom line for parts. Didn't really care for Statham's villain character. I kept waiting for when Paul went CG, but I couldn't tell. There was an action scene towards the end in the dark, so that seems like an obvious place to start, but I don't really know when it began. I knew the ending car scene was CG thanks to Facebook, but even knowing that, it looked real to me. Scary how good CG is now. I'm guessing there's also technology to sample voices and add dialog that sounds like the person? Very classy ending.

Canisis_sl

shitlord
Too many haters. It was better than decent, and as far as the Paul Walker acting chops catch Hours on netflix. Not what you would expect from him at all, and totally worth your time.

Vinen

God is dead
Too many haters. It was better than decent, and as far as the Paul Walker acting chops catch Hours on netflix. Not what you would expect from him at all, and totally worth your time.
This movie was a terrible send-off to Paul Walker.
#6 was leaps and bounds better.

Dialogue was... amazingly bad.

BUT, movie was made up for by the Eithiad Towers scene. Seriously, best scene ever.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brick mansions on netflix was also way more fun of a movie than it had any real right to be.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Brick Mansions was the poor man's (American) remake of District. Inferior in every way, IMO.