Hawaii

Vinen

God is dead
So if one were to go to Hawaii, what would be the best island to go to for 5-6 days? Whats the generally the cheapest time to go? Cheaper to book a hotel+flight together on say orbitz or separately?

September is cheap. The hotel I wanted to book went from say 500/night to 700/night if we were to book in October.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was surprised that the Note 4's panarama shot managed to blend the waves so well together.
Just cracked my lens on my Atlantic City trip, funny enough this is how i bought the phone so cheap, was cracked lens, costs 3bucks for replacement, takes 1minute to replace.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Settling on Kauai either last week of October or first week of November at the Sheraton in popui. Are current conditions still decent then for snorkeling or is it to rough by then?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Stayed at that exact hotel for about 5 days in November. The snorkeling was doable but nothing compared to Maui. If you are on a pussy getting trip you may find it over isolated.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Pussy is coming with me so that's not a factor.

Main thing I'm interested in is swimming and snorkeling, and maybe hiking. Don't give a damn at all about night life or bars.

Was thinking kauai since it seems like it would be less packed. Get a sunset handy asking the beach.

Picasso3

Kauai is def solid for hiking. Actual sand Beaches are limited so handy space may be limited, check it out on Google Earth.

If you're on a primary snorkeling mission then maui is a must imo. It was like strolling in an aquarium.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Always skip Oahu, its a shithole. Maui is alright, Kauai is my first choice. Only downside is during the fall it rains A LOT. certain sections of the island used to be the wettest spot on earth before Obama created global warming. I really like the Big Island, especially the higher elevation places near Kilauea Volcano. Going to see the lava flows is a must do once in your lifetime, that shit is fucking surreal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

I liked the big Island but it's beaches were shit too. Maybe we went at a bad time.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I liked the big Island but it's beaches were shit too. Maybe we went at a bad time.

Geologically the Big Island is too young to have a much beach, it hasnt had time to grow reef and be broken down to form sandy beaches. Some of the coastline is zero days old.

Picasso3

Our helicopter tour got rained out there, prob would have been life changing...never even saw any lava damnit.

Vinen

God is dead
Where ever you go, always buy the hawaii blue book for which ever island you goto, it has all the good shit on what to do and how from locals, said it b4 for other ppl in the past, i'm sure they love the book too.

And again some pro tips
1. DO NOT bring the blue book with you, locals HATE seeing this book, it's basically a cheat guide to Hawaii islands and their local spots get taken up by foreigners
2. DO NOT get a convertable rental car or any car that says, "ROB ME", i mean local thugs can tell rental cars from local cars right away, besides the rental tags (local cars are dirty as shit and old, i mean they live on a volcanic island)
3. DO NOT lock your rental car and DO NOT leave anything in there ever, the best advice i got from my BnB lady was to unlock the cars when you park, this way local thugs can just open the door, pop the trunk, see you got nuttin there and move on to the next car, which is a lot better than having your rental cars window smashed, cuz a thug thought maybe you got some good shit in there.
4. buying a few of these waterproof case might not be a bad idea, if you can just slim your shit down to 1 phone 1 credit card 1 drivers license (loose cash), one of these will hold all that shit for you, so you don't have to leave it in your car or "bury it" underneath your beach towel.

Blue book acquired. Commence marking up.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Even though we now live here, we still use the Oahu blue book. At least the phone app version. It's nice knowing right away which restaurants are worth avoiding.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Even though we now live here, we still use the Oahu blue book. At least the phone app version. It's nice knowing right away which restaurants are worth avoiding.

If you are on Oahu and not afraid of the run down parts go to Alicia's Market and buy any 3 of the 25 kinds Poke and some Roast Pork or Char Siu. Totally worth the slim chance you will get stabbed.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'll google it real quick. During the day, there's pretty much a 0% chance of stabbing. It's night time that's bad.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Another spot around the corner from there is Guava Smoke. Worth hitting both at once.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Blue book acquired. Commence marking up.
which island?

I don't think the blue book is up to date on food trucks, but yelp is, food trucks are banging (the good ones at least)
Kauai is def solid for hiking. Actual sand Beaches are limited so handy space may be limited, check it out on Google Earth.

If you're on a primary snorkeling mission then maui is a must imo. It was like strolling in an aquarium.
U1txrjS.png

I'm using chrome canary, da fuq?

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Our helicopter tour got rained out there, prob would have been life changing...never even saw any lava damnit.
Contemplating staying at a cheaper hotel on kauai just to fit one into the budget for a view of na Pali.

Though taking a you snorkel tour to that barely sunken crater off of maui is tempting.

Picasso3

Contemplating staying at a cheaper hotel on kauai just to fit one into the budget for a view of na Pali.

Though taking a you snorkel tour to that barely sunken crater off of maui is tempting.

We did catamaran & snorkeling along na pali and I'd trade about 10 of those for 1 heli ride. I didn't know about the crater deal though that sounds cool. We did the catamaran first so I think it helped scale since you recognize some of the same landmarks.
The Sheraton was decent but our oceanview room was bullshit and we had to walk across the road and through the resort to get to the beach. I'm pretty confident you could find a better setup with some legwork. We did our whole 2 weeks through a travel agent because the planning seemed like a major undertaking.