Hawaii

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
not me, last time i was there, got some Mazda shit, cuz I'm Asian, American cars are our kryptonite, everytime you see some bad Asian driver, it's cuz they're behind a Chrysler SUV shit or some Ford gay shit.
Do you mean in HI or everywhere? Cause here's it's always a boat of a lexus or benz. Especially if it's a sort of weird sandy beige/grey color, old asian person every time

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I finally got a chance to visit Alicia's Market. You're right, that was Damn delicious. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I finally got a chance to visit Alicia's Market. You're right, that was Damn delicious. Thanks for the heads up.

Nice, your next mission is gather up $11, head to Sanoya's, order the Udon Set and side of Gyoza.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The best Udon out here is really inexpensive. It's right in Waikiki. Marukame Udon. I fucking love that place. I go with a normal hot noodle udon dish with meat, and a few pieces of tempora (prawn, sweet potato, etc.) and I'm around $8 out of pocket. It's delicious.

EDIT: Google says that Sanoya place is 9 miles away. I might be able to hit it up tomorrow.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Spent two years on Maui as a zipline tour guide.

Grand Wailea is definitely my favorite hotel there (edit: we used to always go swimming with guests after the tour. the pool is unreal). Lahaina is cool to walk around for the day. Jump off of "black rock". The blow hole on the north west side of the island is worth a trip - get some coconut candy on the way.

The whole south and west sides are touristy and friendly.
North shore a tiny bit less so, but just don't be an asshole.

Avoid Wailuku and some of the residential areas around Iao valley.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The best Udon out here is really inexpensive. It's right in Waikiki. Marukame Udon. I fucking love that place. I go with a normal hot noodle udon dish with meat, and a few pieces of tempora (prawn, sweet potato, etc.) and I'm around $8 out of pocket. It's delicious.

EDIT: Google says that Sanoya place is 9 miles away. I might be able to hit it up tomorrow.

Sanoya's Udon Set = 1 Bowl Udon, 1 bowl rice, 1 slab of Chicken Katsu, and some Kim Chee. Last I went was $8.50. 4 pieces Gyoza was another $2.50. Stuffed to the gills for $11.
The rest of their menu is good to so-so, Udon set is the way to go.

They are open till 2-3 AM. Good place to eat after a night drinking at Rock-Za and Femme Nu.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Grand Wailea is definitely my favorite hotel there (edit: we used to always go swimming with guests after the tour. the pool is unreal).

I just did a google search. That does look pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of the Hilton Waikiki Beach Village over on Oahu. Though the Wailea might have a better pool all around. Hilton just has a LOT of pools, some with slides, some just normal pools. There's probably fourteen on their property. Not to mention the lagoon right next to the hotel (not on Hilton property, though).

Haka

N00b
If you're in Maui the magic show is top notch. I'm not the type to enjoy that kind of stuff usually, but it was amazing and a major highlite of our trip there. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe it was in Lahaina.

I did the Road to Hana, the locals terrified me screaming around the corner when I was on the outside lane but it was beautiful.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah skip the dinner if you can, I think for us the only ticket available was a dinner ticket. Go out in Lahaina first.

I think Warren used to be a magician in Vegas. The show was hilarious and great. Just like standup, don't agree to sit in the front row if you wanna stay under the radar.
Dinner is part of the show, tho

Haka

N00b
Maybe it's changed since I was there but there were magic show only tickets available when I was there, they had just ran out of them. Even still, it wasn't awful, there are just other places in Lahaina I would have wanted to eat.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe it's changed since I was there but there were magic show only tickets available when I was there, they had just ran out of them. Even still, it wasn't awful, there are just other places in Lahaina I would have wanted to eat.
really? cuz (from like 10yrs ago), the dinner is part of the show for... reasons.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It took a little bit, but I finally made it to Sanoya Ramen. For what it's worth, the udon set is now $8.75. The 4pc. Gyoza is still $3, however.

When I first got here, I was the only person there. About 10 minutes later, someone else showed up. I'll let you know how the food is.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
It took a little bit, but I finally made it to Sanoya Ramen. For what it's worth, the udon set is now $8.75. The 4pc. Gyoza is still $3, however.

When I first got here, I was the only person there. About 10 minutes later, someone else showed up. I'll let you know how the food is.

A few Oahu Classics:

Meg's Drive In = Beef Curry Plate
Zippy's = Surf Pac and Napples.
Chun Wah Kam = Manapua, Gau Gee & Pork Hash
Leonard's Bakery = Malasadas, eat em while still warm.
Liliha Bakery = Coco Puffs.
Ted's Bakery = Chocolate Haupia Pie (can find in some grocery stores, but sells out)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, my synopsis of Sanoya isn't stellar. They had good food. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. Just a simple good. The Udon tasted fine, but I think I prefer Marukame Udon more than this place. It's a better noodle. What this place did well is that the Udon set came with a lot of food. Between the fried chicken, bowl of rice and Kimchi, I didn't really need to spend the additional $3 on the Gyoza. Oh well, I did. It was definately stuffed to the brim. I just wish they had a Gyoza dipping sauce. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

So I guess that's where it stands. I doubt I'll go out of my way to visit there again, unless I'm in the area. It just didn't have that "wow" factor. The food was good, but it's expected to not be bad.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Ok, my synopsis of Sanoya isn't stellar. They had good food. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. Just a simple good. The Udon tasted fine, but I think I prefer Marukame Udon more than this place. It's a better noodle. What this place did well is that the Udon set came with a lot of food. Between the fried chicken, bowl of rice and Kimchi, I didn't really need to spend the additional $3 on the Gyoza. Oh well, I did. It was definately stuffed to the brim. I just wish they had a Gyoza dipping sauce. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

So I guess that's where it stands. I doubt I'll go out of my way to visit there again, unless I'm in the area. It just didn't have that "wow" factor. The food was good, but it's expected to not be bad.

Yup pretty much anything I am pointing you to is ' local working people' food. Morimoto has a restaurant on Oahu, and I have eaten there, I have also eaten at Mitch's but, I'd tell you save your money and just go eat at Nico's instead. I aint a food snob, I like bang for my buck.

Sauce for Katsu and Gyoza is in the condiments on the table. Plum sauce for Katsu. Rice vinegar, soy, sesame oil and chilli oil or chilli flakes for the Gyoza, they gave you a little dish to mix it in? Thats standard Ramen House stuff. I think you missed a part of the total experience not having the condiments.

Take your Wife to Nico's one early evening, You are sitting 100 feet from the fish auction and the boats your meal just came in on. And it's very affordable.

Last edited: