Hawaii

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Contemplating staying at a cheaper hotel on kauai just to fit one into the budget for a view of na Pali.

Though taking a you snorkel tour to that barely sunken crater off of maui is tempting.

Just please, no matter which island, DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR EVER!!!. Locals can spot a rental a 1/2 mile off, and meth and property crime are big problems. This simple tip will keep your trip from being ruined by a scumbag faggot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I can't imagine spending so much money on a resort, unless you really like being around people or need to be catered to at all times. I went to Oahu/Kauai on my honeymoon and I definitely preferred Kauai because it had less people and was generally more peaceful. You can find some really nice places for under $200, especially if you plan out in advance far enough.

We stayed at this place on Kauai: https://www.vrbo.com/77852?utm_camp...term=20160504&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

It's kind of cool because the owner is the son of an influential local who helped create some of the beaches on Kauai and was involved in the community in other ways.

The pictures are horrible and don't do it justice, so I included some of my own. But we were literally 15 feet from the ocean and about 30 feet from a small beach that I only ever saw at most three people on (it was usually deserted). Sitting on the deck looking out at the ocean was incredibly peaceful and relaxing. At night we slept in the main room with the windows open and the ocean breeze coming in and it was perfect.

I'd definitely recommend going to a Luau that is advocated by the Blue book. I really didn't think I'd end up liking it but it was pretty enjoyable. The one I went to was: Luau Kalamaku™ - Hawaiian Package Part of my enjoyment may have been due to the alcohol, which was unlimited and actually pretty potent. The food, though, was surprisingly good, too (despite it not getting the best marks according to the Blue book). This one gets the best mark from the book for the actual show which was good.

My wife went on the heli ride and really enjoyed it (Jack Harter Charters on Kauai -- they offer a doorless version too).

Pictures of the place I stayed at:
lY57QuG.jpg

bV9MlFE.jpg

BxaOLOq.jpg

T27EaVA.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Sheraton was decent but our oceanview room was bullshit and we had to walk across the road and through the resort to get to the beach. I'm pretty confident you could find a better setup with some legwork. We did our whole 2 weeks through a travel agent because the planning seemed like a major undertaking.

Yea those bullshit places that are "1 block away" from the beach is bullshit, they charge you the same if you were basically a resort on the beach but that 1 block, w/ traffic is annoying

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't think the blue book is up to date on food trucks, but yelp is, food trucks are banging (the good ones at least)

The last Friday of every month, on a small pear next to Ala Moana Beach, they have a huge food festival. All of the gormet food trucks from the island get together and sell shit. They also have a theme to try and hit every month.
In June, the theme was Bacon. In July, it was Barbecue. This month, it's going to be Spicy. It's a nice way to experience all of the good food trucks out here.

Eat The Street Hawaii

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
My wife and I did a week on Kauai in December a few years back and it was great. Stayed at the Sheraton in Poipu and were happy enough with it though we were actually right by the beach.

We did a helicopter tour, catamaran to the Na Pali coast for snorkeling, bike ride down the road to Waimea Canyon, went to a rum tasting at Koloa, did a luau at the Grand Hyatt and checked out the Allerton botanical garden.

Catamaran was probably the best though the helicopter tour was cool too. Probably helped that we were sitting in the front so the views were less obstructed. Waimea Canyon is cool but the bike tour was a little lame since it doesn't involve much of the canyon other than driving to the top to look at it before you hop on the bikes to head back. The botanical garden was excellent with a ton of good photo ops. Definitely skip the luau unless you're into super touristy stuff.

Our biggest regret was not leaving a little more time open to do whatever, instead of having so many things booked. Would go back in a heart beat but would try to stay on the North shore since we never made it up there, look for a vacation rental or stay at the Grand Hyatt as that property was gorgeous. I'd also love to rent some road bikes. It's a beautiful place and we really can't wait to get back.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well im booked for 6 nights in Poipu in October. Went with a condo rental to save on food(was gonna go with the sheraton but from pics looks like it didnt even have microwave) + slightly cheaper than the Sheratan. Now we pray the surf isnt too horrible while there. Being able to spend some time in queens bath instead of looking at it would make the trip.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Just please, no matter which island, DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR EVER!!!. Locals can spot a rental a 1/2 mile off, and meth and property crime are big problems. This simple tip will keep your trip from being ruined by a scumbag faggot.

We rented a 2 door convertible jeep like typical mainlander tourists. We don't intend on leaving shit in the car but is it okay to leave the top down or are we going to come back to an empty spot where our rental used to be?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So... if we are all beached out and don't want to do water activities, is Hawaii a good destination at all? Sounds like most of the activities described revolve around eating, beaches, snorkeling/diving, surfing etc.

Is there any sightseeing/things to see in Hawaii that could reasonably occupy a 5-7 day vacation that don't revolve around eating/drinking/beaches?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yes. Tons of hiking and landscapes to take in, i really enjoyed driving around kauai, Maui, and big Island. The south east side of maui on the road to Hana was awesome.

Maui was really the only island that had the classic pristine beaches i envisioned all of Hawaii to be and I definitely didn't expect to be blown away by the mountains.

And ofc we did pearl Harbor on the way out which I really liked, that's a solid day.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We rented a 2 door convertible jeep like typical mainlander tourists. We don't intend on leaving shit in the car but is it okay to leave the top down or are we going to come back to an empty spot where our rental used to be?
leave the top down, don't lock shit, imo. Let the scumbag thieves check your glovebox, pop the trunk, they leave if they can't easily carry shit away. They won't steal the car, that's grand theft auto, compared to petty crime.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm

So this would definitely be classified as a "nature" vacation.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Your car will be fine.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I would say definitely keep rental cars unlocked. However, people that live here lock their shit all the time. Every time you're walking through a parking lot and someone stops, you hear the distinctive "click" of the doors locking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would say definitely keep rental cars unlocked. However, people that live here lock their shit all the time. Every time you're walking through a parking lot and someone stops, you hear the distinctive "click" of the doors locking.
that's cuz their cars have years of "dust" on em, so it's certifiable local car.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
that's cuz their cars have years of "dust" on em, so it's certifiable local car.
Hawaii locals drive imports, the low end POS U.S. made coupe you rent stands out like a turd in a punchbowl.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hawaii locals drive imports, the low end POS U.S. made coupe you rent stands out like a turd in a punchbowl.
not me, last time i was there, got some Mazda shit, cuz I'm Asian, American cars are our kryptonite, everytime you see some bad Asian driver, it's cuz they're behind a Chrysler SUV shit or some Ford gay shit.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
not me, last time i was there, got some Mazda shit, cuz I'm Asian, American cars are our kryptonite, everytime you see some bad Asian driver, it's cuz they're behind a Chrysler SUV shit or some Ford gay shit.

Tiny asian bodies can't manage normal sized controls?, maybe they should get a friend to do the pedals while they steer?