How I Met Your Mother

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Bit wild that they filmed the bit with the kids 10 years ago... So clearly a well planned out finale.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My immediate reaction was exactly what everyone else is saying (disappointment), and then I followed it with what the rest of you said, namely, why am I surprised that they completely ruined it in the last couple minutes? If they had left the whole Robin thing out of it, I don't think any of us would have really complained. But no, they couldn't even do the fucking ending right.

God I'm glad this show is over.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
stopped watching about 8 episodes ago and decided to watch the finale...
what a piece of crap this show turned into, i can't even express how horrible this finale was....
a story of how i met your aunt robin, seriously??
'the mom' had 6 minutes of air time and then dies hahahha yea, sorry, but this crap show does not need spoiler tags.
so glad this show is over as well, went from a really funny show to a total crap-trying to hard-fest.

Notch_sl

shitlord
This finale proved that the show should have ended after Season 2 (when the Ted/Robin thing would have made sense) and Barney deserved a spin-off for seven years. But, since we have what we have, in the least, the writers should have ended the finale with Ted/mother at the Farhampton train station jointly holding the umbrella and playfully debating the meaning of the "T.M." The addition of the final scene shit on dear old mom and Ted's five (?) year marriage. And, to think, it was all planned from the beginning as proven by the kids' final dialogue. Fuck that.

If this episode had any redeeming value, it was through Barney's vignettes. From the "Playbook II - Electric Bang-A-Loo" (yes, that was its subtitle), to Jim Nance's "Sorry, bro", to Barney's comment of age 40 being the prime years for hooking up with twenty-somethings because he doesn't need to be emotionally distant to remind girls with daddy issues of their messed up dads, but because he freaking looks like their dads, to finding the girl to whom he pledges his love, Barney had the best finale for a character on this show. And the subsequent slut-shaming in McLaren's was a humorous touch.

In the end, for me, everything after Season 4 was hit or miss, but I watched it regularly anyway. My mistake.

Oh, and calling it now, "Number 31" will be the protagonist in How I Met Your Dad. See you in nine years, thread.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The best part of the finale was them showing the picture of the stars from when they started. Holy shit did NPH and everyone else look young (except for Colbie, oddly).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A Barney spin-off would basically be Joey. In other words terrible. His character lacks depth and runs the same joke over and over and over and over and over. Is he an iconic character? Yes. Is he 100% a support character who would die in a lead role? Yes.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How i met a totally disposable character,who at end no one gives a fuck about her

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've yet to find anyone that was satisfied with the ending. I wouldn't want to be the writers today.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Wow. From reading the comments there and other places around the internet, most of what I'm seeing is hate towards the actress that played the Mother. While I wasn't blown away by her by any means, it certainly wasn't the mom character that was ruining the show for all these years. If the writing had been even remotely interesting and funny, they could have had Roseanne Barr play the mom and it would have been decent. But with shit writing, as exemplified by the finale, it doesn't matter who it was. How can the viewing public not see shit like this?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I still cant believe they spent 22 episodes focused on the wedding and barney proving he loves robin with shit like the ice skating just to get divorced 15 minutes later wtf haha.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I've yet to find anyone that was satisfied with the ending. I wouldn't want to be the writers today.
I have one friend who posted on Facebook today saying he was seeing 50/50 on those who liked it/hated it. I had to call him out on that because he's the only person I've seen say anything nice about it. He's also liked the last couple seasons, though.

Anyway...the people posting that the stuff with the kids was filmed 10 years ago...is that confirmed? They do seem the same age there and the cuts between them and old Ted seem to suggest it was, but I can't believe they sat on that for so long. Also, as others have pointed out, it makes them come off as assholes for not wanting to hear how he met their dead mom at the beginning, so it's hard to believe this was the plan all along.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Apparently the two actors confirmed they filmed in advanced. Basically them, director, and the camera guy were the only 4 that knew.

Also, the mom is hot. I dig that look.

Finally, I don't know if it was intentional but as the flash forwards progressed I thought everyone aged noticeable except for Barney. Good call.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I stopped watching this show long, long ago.

Anyone care to give me a synopsis of the finale? I'll never watch it, but I need vindication in knowing I was right to stop watching it after season 5 or whatever it was.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Entire season is building up to Barney proving he loves Robin. 10 seconds after they get married they get divorced. Marshall and Lilly live happily ever after with him as a judge and her as a mobile baby factory. Ted marries the mother who gets ill and dies. Ted's asshole kids like Robin more than their real mom so tell him to go lay pipe.