Joker (2019)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Looks like it dwarfed that will smith shit with a 55 mil second weekend to fresh prince 20mil

Good! Actually now that you mention it when I was looking up show times for Joker I literally scrolled right past Gemini Man and it didn’t even register as something I would consider going to see. Just pure trash!!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Good! Actually now that you mention it when I was looking up show times for Joker I literally scrolled right past Gemini Man and it didn’t even register as something I would consider going to see. Just pure trash!!

The real problem I have with it is that the premise would make a potentially GREAT movie if it hadn't been co-opted into being "generic 2019 Wil Smith vehicle movie".

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
9/10. Will not see again.

Watching the slow unraveling of someone’s physique done in such an up and personal matter was disturbing.

But this is the joker, a deranged character that offers no logical explanation to his actions, only madness.

I wasn’t expecting rainbows, and instead I got one of the best origins movies ever made. It was disturbing because the joker IS disturbing.

Best movie of the year. Oscar best actor guaranteed on one of the toughest characters ever.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just finished watching this and whew lads that shit was heavy.

Watching zombieland 2 now to brighten my day after that shit.

Amazing film. Mind blown

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I haven't read the thread, and I don't know if its been mentioned before, but my wife pointed it out to me and now I'm rewatching it and I think she's on to something, but the Joker film seems to track fairly closely/similarly to Taxi Driver.

Not that they copied it directly, but there's some similar plot points, similar story arc.

Also, I felt like I could see some blending by Phoenix of Nicholson's and Ledger's Joker characters, finding a nice balance between the two, while putting his own spin on the character.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I haven't read the thread, and I don't know if its been mentioned before, but my wife pointed it out to me and now I'm rewatching it and I think she's on to something, but the Joker film seems to track fairly closely/similarly to Taxi Driver.

Taxi Driver + The King of Comedy, another Robert de Niro flick

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
And de Niro was in the movie obviously so yeah seems pretty intentional I think

It certainly worked to make a compelling origin story. Are they intending to put Phoenix in an actual Batman film now? I know I"m late to the party but I always am. Haven't followed this much but intended to see it once it hit theaters finally got around to it today

joz123

Potato del Grande
And de Niro was in the movie obviously so yeah seems pretty intentional I think

It certainly worked to make a compelling origin story. Are they intending to put Phoenix in an actual Batman film now? I know I"m late to the party but I always am. Haven't followed this much but intended to see it once it hit theaters finally got around to it today
JP said this was the only movie he would do as the Joker.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
i mean he's clearly walked that back already
While speaking on U.S. show Popcorn with Peter Travers, Phoenix was asked if he considers Joker to be his dream role, and the actor brought up the possibility of returning to the role of Arthur Fleck.

“I wouldn’t have thought of this as my dream role,” the Academy Award winner said. “But now, honestly, I can’t stop thinking about it. I talked to Todd a lot about what else we might be able to do, in general, just working together, but also specifically, if there’s something else we can do with Joker that might be interesting.

The film’s director Todd Phillips has already indicated his desire to see a second Joker instalment: “One thing I will tell you: I would do anything with [Phoenix], any day of the week,” he told Total Film.

another joker movie with batman would probably be terrible but i thought this movie would be terrible so what the fuck do i know

Joaquin does seem like a nice guy

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont see how any sequel would be coherent. This was a movie about a not so smart man with serious mental issues going off on the people who shit on him. Everything that he did was reactive. Also it requires us to side step that huge plot hole of the two detectives who are assaulted on the train not telling any other cop who Arthur is and where hes going.

Caliane

I dont see how any sequel would be coherent. This was a movie about a not so smart man with serious mental issues going off on the people who shit on him. Everything that he did was reactive. Also it requires us to side step that huge plot hole of the two detectives who are assaulted on the train not telling any other cop who Arthur is and where hes going.
its not like they didnt know who he was. The studio had his phone number.. he was in the asylum at the end.

A sequel should be a dark comedy on the criminal justice system/prison reform. You have this psycho, who just keeps killing everyone he can. His pysch workers, guards, etc. and no death penalty. They won't kill him. And to make it worse, they of course put him in a prison where he can just radicalize more and more people.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I hope it makes enough money that the era of Hack Snynder grimderp Batman/Superman stories is off the table for a decade or two.

Yes, if you make a good movie with a good story and a popular character and good performances people will beat a path to your door. You don't need 150 million goddamn dollars worth of CGI over a three hour runtime.