Joker (2019)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I liked this movie a lot. Its very uncomfortable to watch, as movies sometimes should be.

The acting my JP was fucking incredible.

I only have a couple minor gripes. The biggest one being I'm tired of seeing the Batman origin back alley scene. All they had to do was have the family walk by the clown with the gun. The rest is assumed. I never need to see that scene ever again.

I'm with you on the alley scene.... Especially the damn broken pearl necklace.....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Hollywood said:
I'm torn, as an Oscar voter, about what to do. The business it's doing is mind-blowing — 'Taxi Driver 2' just opened to almost $300 million worldwide! But I don't know what's responsible to do as a voter. If art is not used to start a conversation, and it's just used to exacerbate something, I'm not sure how beneficial it is. It's too fresh to know yet what I'll do with it. I don't know if it should be banned or it should be given every award!"
"I have not seen it, but you can say I’m with Marty [Scorsese, who recently said he is not a fan of comic book movies]!"
"I haven't seen Joker, nor do I plan to. I know it's out of fashion to say, but comic book movies hold zero interest for me."
"I haven't seen it yet, but when I do see it I will be sitting right next to the exit! So crazy to have to think like this, but we have to."

Oscar voters

• 1Picard

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The oscars have never been about art or merit. Its always been a racket by the studios.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
On my phone so can’t write much. Just saw this. Fucking really enjoyed it. Oscar for sure. Especially if they gave it to Rami Malek for his overly faggy and pussified portrayal of Freddy Mercury. I thought it was great. Uncomfortable sure. JP was just amazing. He’s a better actor than HL. Can’t really compare the two as Joker because this was a much different story. Funny he killed Taxi Driver in this parallel movie.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife wanted to go see this movie. I was kind of on the fence. I am glad she insisted. This was a well done movie that showed how chaos can descend into madness. Joaquin Phoenix easily deserves an Oscar but the Oscars are not about performance. There is no reason to watch the movie a second time but I certainly would enjoy watching more of the performance. To pair this performance to an actual batman movie would take some real directing that could be as good as Heath Ledger's performance or a true disappointment. Its said that cocaine is never as good as the first time and I am afraid that a second movie might reflect that. I would love to be wrong.

9/10

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I really liked the movie, it started slow and half way through I was thinking that by the end that's a major criticism I would have.

After watching the movie, I'm actually glad it had moments of slowness because it really made the ending pay off a lot. I really liked the finally imagery with the Joker in the car.

This is the best shit that DC has pushed out in ages (other than some of the animated stuff).

I can't wait to see what else DC black has to come.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Also we sat in front of some tattooed white dude who was watching the movie by himself about halfway through he turns on the fucking flash light on his phone and I thought "whelp, this is it, dying watching this fucking movie"

I laughed so fucking loud at this for about 3 minutes. I’m glad you’re not dead so that you could post it.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from seeing it, Small police presence checking people at the door. I fucking hated the movie.

As someone who has a father suffering from violent schizophrenia paying to watch this movie was just unfun and nerve wracking. Combined with the fact I thought I was going to get shot in the back of the head by @Gavinmad did not make for a good viewing experience.

It was just about a sick person who found a gun.

Also we sat in front of some tattooed white dude who was watching the movie by himself about halfway through he turns on the fucking flash light on his phone and I thought "whelp, this is it, dying watching this fucking movie"

From a movie standpoint it was fantastic in terms of acting and script, it made sense etc and had some moments.

I think this movie may of actually "triggered" me....

It's bad because I went to an early showing which was (unbeknown to me a showing also for disabled people lel).

So I'm sitting in my maxy comfort seat, gallon of drink ready to push me into diabetes, and I noticed some dude get up with something in his hands that looked like a rifle and swivel about. I started to think "Were the SJW fucks actually right and I'm going to get gunned down by an incel" but actually it was a crutch and he wobbled out of the theatre and came back with a hotdog.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I loved this interpretation of Joker, I loved Nolan's as well but i felt that this was a more grounded approach that opened alot of doors for sequels and a new way of linking Batman into everything. I was really hoping that they would show a certain someone meeting Joker for the first time in this as well but im not sure i could have asked for a better done origin movie than this. It was hard to watch, and rather disturbing but fuck was it great.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
1570808290491.jpg

• 12Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
As a person who works in the mental health field, I greatly enjoyed this movie. I can't really find any major complaints.

• 1Like

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if Robert DeNiro being such an insufferable faggot about politics irl was guerrilla marketing for the climax of this movie...because it totally worked.

• 1Seriously?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Didn't enjoy this much. I'm not big on awkward, uncomfortable tension and this movie was filled with it. This is definitely not a bad movie, just wasn't for me. There are some beautiful shots, two that really stand out were the scene where he's dancing down the stairs and then again when he's leaving the subway. Joaquin did a great job but the movie is kind of slow, and while I wouldn't call it an art house film it feels like it at certain points. It's a very slow burn, and I found myself bored several times throughout.

This isn't really a movie about The Joker. It's a movie about a guy with mental health issues that eventually snaps, set in Gotham.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
There was something about the way he kicked, because he was so skinny, it made his legs look so long. Is this from the comic? It looked amazing.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm probably in the minority on this but i fucking HATED all his dancing in the movie

also do you think it was reaaaaalllly necessary for Joaquin to lose 47 lbs (dude only weighs like 110) for this movie? That felt like another artsy fartsy thing, while he looked weird in his shirtless scenes i don't think it was really necessary, and its funny how nobody on the left shits up the director/actor for doing it (wut about "male body image" harm), meanwhile everyone REeeeeee's if you say Rose is too fucking fat

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just saw it. Kinda in the "didn't like it, didn't hate it, not my thing" group. Like I get what it is, but it seemed a little too up its own ass at times. Like artsy for the sake of being artsy. Like calm the fuck down. Some of it worked, some of it just seemed too try-hard. If people asked me if I'd recommend it I'd probably say it's a movie to watch if you're curious, but not if you're a comic book fan or joker fan or anything like that.

I'd give it a 8 out of 10. I hate cringe stuff and there was a LOT of that. Not rating it lower because of that, but if you have a rough time with that stuff, beware.

I also wasn't a fan of:

They made Thomas Wayne, patron saint of Gotham, look like a rich douchnozzle. Quite the stark contrast to Bruce's memories of him from previous iterations like Batman Begins. Kinda makes you think Batman is just a spoiled brat with a lot of big boy toys.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Fucking loved it. JP is the best living Joker for sure and possibly the best period.

I know a lot of people are upset that this wasn't a typical comic book Joker, but I'm really glad it wasn't. Just like Adebisi Adebisi said about the Pearl necklace scene, I've seen the Joker lots of times. Ledger's was amazing because it took it to a different place and this one was amazing because it grounded the Joker from criminally insane super-villain to just plain insane. I'm also a sucker for movies with an unreliable narrator.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This was not a Joker movie. Call Joker Carnival instead, Thomas Wayne Rich_guy01 and have it set in NYC and its no less connected to the Batman universe.

I thought it was alright. Really enjoyed the revelation of his delusions, right until you where hit over the head with the "INCASE YOU DIDNT REALIZE HES HAVING DELUSIONS" hammer. Do movie makers really think we are this stupid?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This was not a Joker movie. Call Joker Carnival instead, Thomas Wayne Rich_guy01 and have it set in NYC and its no less connected to the Batman universe.

I thought it was alright. Really enjoyed the revelation of his delusions, right until you where hit over the head with the "INCASE YOU DIDNT REALIZE HES HAVING DELUSIONS" hammer. Do movie makers really think we are this stupid?

I thought he was hitting it!