Joker (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
he walked out on the interview because he's a pretentious asshole. he's done shit like this in the past.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I
It's funny how some people are like "*sob* *sob* it's not the joker I know" when 87658765 authors wrote 87658765 versions of the Joker in comics.
I mean I get your point but even all those writers were internally consistent, generally speaking. Comics have mandates with characters that they give their writers. Superman can't kill, Batman can't use guns, stuff like that. Movies don't have those mandates so following character history gets thrown out the window because Hollywood is full of pretentious people who think THEY can make nonsense work

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny how some people are like "*sob* *sob* it's not the joker I know" when 87658765 authors wrote 87658765 versions of the Joker in comics.

Learn the difference between 87658765 takes on what is essentially the same character and what looks to be a wild departure that has nothing in common with the character. I mean fuck, as terrible as Jared Leto's Joker was, it was still recognizably Joker.

As has been said, this is just Falling Down 2.

• 2Like
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
jokeronehandclapping.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Out of all the Joker's iterations Joker was really strong in Batman 1989, The Dark Knight 2008, The Killing Joke, Mask of the Phantasm, Batman: Animated Series, Arkham Aslyum Video Game... Dark Knight Returns comic.

I mean he has a lot of good versions. Most recently I really liked the comic for Injustice where he went to Metropolis and fucked with Superman. Which is much easier because Superman is extremely gullible compared to Batman despite being so much more powerful. Leading to the Injustice Story Arc as Joker caused Supes to kill Lois.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Learn the difference between 87658765 takes on what is essentially the same character and what looks to be a wild departure that has nothing in common with the character. I mean fuck, as terrible as Jared Leto's Joker was, it was still recognizably Joker.

As has been said, this is just Falling Down 2.

I think it's a mix of Falling Down and The King of Comedy.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Even invoking the name Joker on Twitter is scary!

• 2Like
  • 2WTF

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Just got out. Movie theatre near me was playing it tonight.

Legit good. Best thing DC has done since the Nolan movies.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
7/10. Went to see early matinee in IMAX before the incels go on murder sprees. At least 4 armed cops in front of screens, was kinda weird. Praise Batman no one was hurt.

I went in wanting to hate the movie, thinking it'll be super pretentious and you don't need to give Joker a backstory he is a force of nature. I liked it better than I thought I would, but its still got some pretentious parts and it was basically a tiny spin on the same story we have seen over and over. Still, I think any comic fan will mostly enjoy it. The central themes of the movie are mental illness and the wealth gap between the poor and the rich in this country, and I think its interesting that the movie does a great job of bringing those two things across. Its an issue a lot of people have on their mind and generally movies that "stick" in a decade are ones that really dig at problems everyone is thinking about.

Joaquin lost like 50 lbs for this movie and thats a bit over the top, there's no real reason (a minor one "in story" but its not really that important) and it just has that pretentious vibe for parts, especially when he dances for 2-3 minutes and its just done so you can think "damn he looks fucking weird, what a nutjob". Its an extremely simple story, you will know the whole thing from the trailer, there isn't really a whole lot more. Its done very well and competently, but I didn't really leave the theater with anything other than "huh... well, that was a movie".

To me its bizarre how so many people are seeing this, I guess everyone wants more comic stuff and with these long gaps this year between Marvel movies DC and others kinda shit the bed in not having anything ready. At least Warner capitalized well and this is entertaining. I'd never really wanna see this movie again, there's nothing wrong its just that theres not a whole lot to unpack and digest. One and done.

Heath Ledger and Mark Hamill are still superior Jokers but at least this movie reset the bar from the shit show that was Suicide Squad.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Friend went to see it in Huntington Beach and they shut the whole theater complex down. He said there’s tactical police everywhere.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Saw it tonight. Theater was pretty empty.

I liked it though. Kinda slow to start, but the payoff at the end was worth it imo.