Justified (Season 5 - Jan 7th)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Was pretty good to see Ava screwing herself again. She sure seemed surprised Boyd wasn't spending his life trying to get her out after she dumped him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nothing on the finale? I liked it. I thought this season was weaker than seasons past, but the finale was top notch. Season 6 with a Raylan-Boyd showdown is exactly how this show should end.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Nothing on the finale? I liked it. I thought this season was weaker than seasons past, but the finale was top notch. Season 6 with a Raylan-Boyd showdown is exactly how this show should end.
Yeah, I thought the last third of the season was pretty good. They made a nice recovery. Next season should be epic.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How long was it? My DVR recorded 1 hour 13 minutes and it cut off just after Boyd sat down in the RV. Was there anything notable after that?

The finale was great. If Boyd is going to be the main bad guy next season then that bodes well.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
How long was it? My DVR recorded 1 hour 13 minutes and it cut off just after Boyd sat down in the RV. Was there anything notable after that?
Rayland and Eva met on a bridge and had a "I'm your boss now that we got you out of prison" talk. I think that's all.

Goatface

did you see the end of the scene with Duffy and the woman?
if not, Boyd talks about how he is done and going lay low for a while. she says you were bad at heroin, but was great a robbing banks. Boyd flashes that trademark smile.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I thought the last third of the season was pretty good. They made a nice recovery. Next season should be epic.
I agree, last third was good. First half was pretty weak though. The problem with the crows as the antagonist is that they didn't even really need Rayland or Boyd to bring them down; the guys were such massive fuck ups they were constantly self destructing. What made Mags great was that despite the Bennets looking like inbred retards, you found out they were shrewd as hell and they succeeded time and time again. By the time Rayland and Boyd started to take them down; it was genuinely believable Mags Bennet could win.

Not once in the whole season did I think the Crows were capable of fuck all. I got the sense that if Rayland and Boyd just left them alone, they'd all die eventually. The big show downs and threats felt hollow because the whole clan was a bunch of morons that didn't seem worthy of holding Rayland or Boyd's jock strap, much less having a "show down" with them. (The personification of the whole season was the one Crow stabbing himself by accident--that's how the whole first half of the season felt, lol.)

Boyd is a bad ass though, so hopefully next season is awesome, especially since they can cut loose and don't have to worry about painting themselves into a corner.

MossyBank

N00b
This season was a bit off kilter, simply because the writers had big plans for the Haitian guy that Danny Crowe killed off for no reason. Apparently the actor wanted out of the show. Wonder how the season would of went down with him in it, he seemed interesting.

Next season is gonna be badass though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought it started off strong but then kind of meandered around until the end when it came back kind of. The Crowes as a whole were worthless. Darryl, though, was ruthless. They could have done something with that, but they jsut didn't. Disappointing season, still worth watching, but kind of a letdown.

Personally I thought Ava and Boyd were good together, for the show. Ava working against Boyd is sad times.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They fucked this season up two ways... well three if you consider the whole Ava arch, but who cares about that.

1. They wasted Jean Baptiste, the Haitian character.
2. Daryle Crow went after the social worker and shot Art. His motivations were questionable at best and they had already developed his character to a point that a move this rash was completely out of character. Again, a complete waste of the character and Michael Rapaport's talents.

The dialogue writing this season was fine, but their overall story arch was a fucking mess.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It basically felt like they knew what they wanted to do for next season, and instead of trying to make the journey plausible, they just threw together some contrived and heavy handed shit to get there. Lazy.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I think the Haitian guy backed out, which fucked the original plot up. They patched it all together afterwards, which is why a lot of it felt disjointed.

Pretty sure Anger Issues Crowe would have been punked by the Haitian who would have spun a good enough story to get Darryl to attack Art.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I think the Haitian guy backed out, which fucked the original plot up. They patched it all together afterwards, which is why a lot of it felt disjointed.
Yep.

Graham Yost_sl said:
"We were originally thinking of Jean-Baptiste playing a bigger part through the season, and the getting of Jean-Baptiste - or him sacrificing himself, or whatever - would be an episode toward the end. Once [actor] Edi Gathegi wanted off the show, and we decided to kill Jean-Baptiste in episode 5, I just looked at it and said, "Well, we're gonna be short an episode, so we better come up with one now. Instead of trying to stretch out the last three episodes [of the 13-episode season], let's put something in now. What can we do?" I thought it would be cool if there was something about Kendal and Wendy, and that it would be a cool idea for an episode if Raylan had to come in and help Wendy. That's basically all I had."
Link to the interview.