Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Whats the vault thing? Shows me on level 11 and ends tuesday? Does that just mean you keep grinding levels towards it and you get 3 treasure chests on tuesday of whatever quality you grind to I take it?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Whats the vault thing? Shows me on level 11 and ends tuesday? Does that just mean you keep grinding levels towards it and you get 3 treasure chests on tuesday of whatever quality you grind to I take it?

Exactly, I think the max is level 13.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played some more with my deck, didn't have time to tweak it since I was busy yesterday and wanted my time playing rather than tweaking my deck.

My Frostbite deck does ok against most decks it seems, it's not like I win all the time, but there doesn't seem any case so far where I feel I am helpless and can't do anything. While having tons of Frostbite to keep big to control big creatures, they remain on the board, I'm thinking of including a few Rimefang Wolf in the deck, not sure what I'll replace yet, but a creature that kill creature with zero attack and can challenge would do well I think.

I'm starting to see a lot of decks with creatures that buff creatures in deck or in hand, then recalls call to use them again to buff once more, so seeing a lot of mid to large creatures recently.

On a somewhat different note, I'm kinda surprise with the low viewership the game had on Twitch for something new that is now in open beta. I saw a lot of HS streamers play it for a day or two like Kibler, Amaz, Dog, and Firebat but they went back to HS within a day or two. I wonder if they don't like the game or if it was just low viewership.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I played some more with my deck, didn't have time to tweak it since I was busy yesterday and wanted my time playing rather than tweaking my deck.

My Frostbite deck does ok against most decks it seems, it's not like I win all the time, but there doesn't seem any case so far where I feel I am helpless and can't do anything. While having tons of Frostbite to keep big to control big creatures, they remain on the board, I'm thinking of including a few Rimefang Wolf in the deck, not sure what I'll replace yet, but a creature that kill creature with zero attack and can challenge would do well I think.

I'm starting to see a lot of decks with creatures that buff creatures in deck or in hand, then recalls call to use them again to buff once more, so seeing a lot of mid to large creatures recently.

On a somewhat different note, I'm kinda surprise with the low viewership the game had on Twitch for something new that is now in open beta. I saw a lot of HS streamers play it for a day or two like Kibler, Amaz, Dog, and Firebat but they went back to HS within a day or two. I wonder if they don't like the game or if it was just low viewership.

I opened a Rimefang and then included 2x in my deck, I agree it's probably required in a Frostbite deck. I never really looked at all the cards so when I opened it I was kinda like.. duh.
I also opened 1 of these and then decided to try it (made a 2nd copy too): Unscarred Reaver. It's a pretty loaded 1 drop imo. Good blocker that can turn big fast

Decks are getting a lot more refined and I had a 50% win rate yesterday, 7-7 I think.

I may need to go 3x everything for consistency and start tightening the deck.

What was hurting me the most was a LOT of 2 & 3 damage spells from opponents... literally everyone seems to have a 3dmg nuke, not good when most of my champions have 2 or 3 health. I had a guy use a natural (not created by Ezreal) Mystic Shot 3x in a row against me to clean off my Zed & Ashe. The Shadow Isle decks ALWAYS have multiple Black Spears and it's easy to trigger the condition too.

I may incorporate more buffs to counter. But going 3x everything would help too probably.

Edit: With regard to streaming & popularity...
I mean most of the HS pros are in contracts with Blizzard and on the competitive circuit, and those that aren't I'm not sure what the reason is. I would expect LoR would see a bump either: 1.) If Riot announces a large tournament and/or 2.) A LoR Streamer starts raking in 10k+ viewers, then other streamers will know the game has a following and will come aboard.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I do agree that the decks are getting more refined which we all knew would happen, that's the nature of these game, especially with a new one where acquiring cards is somewhat restricted and people can't make optimized deck right from the start.

The issue I am seeing right now though is limited variety in decks, most of the decks I'm seeing are obviously based around the champions that we start with, there are literally dozens of champions I have yet to see because there's no way for people to get them, or enough of them to make a consistent deck around them.

I think this might change a lot on Tuesday when the first Vault opens and we get a large influx of cards and shards. We'll probably start to see people experimenting with different stuff a lot more. Something we'll probably see for another 2 weeks or so.

I know I'm looking forward to opening my first vault.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got rank 13 on my Vault. I am curious to see what the max Vault entails. I agree that a lot of decks do not exist due to the limitation of cards. I built the Dawnspeaker deck just because I could. It does pretty well verse most of the current metas. I am almost Silver ranked. The point system for ranked is interesting. I am hoping the loss points do not increase to much in the higher ranks as they take away the win bonus at gold.

I would suggest playing Expedition when possible. It gives bonus XP that is above the daily stuff. You can do three per week. The intriguing part is that you can then play for free after you finish the first three. I want to try one free one before the reset. It claims to still give minor rewards.

I have played this game more than I ever played Hearthstone or Magic Arena in the same time period. Even when new stuff came out, the carrot was lacking to play much beyond the "New Shiney" deck phase, save for dailies.

There is no current mention for ranked rewards but I imagine something is coming.+-
+

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is pretty good, done half of the tutorials but I can see the potential.

It's a nice hybrid of MTG and Hearthstone. We got the Hearthstone simplified mana system and MTG combat/instants, both with new dimensions (overflow mana and order of attackers mattering). Then you got the heros levelling up which making good use of cards being digital.

Night and day difference compared to the disaster that was Artifact. League of Legends seems like a much better IP than DotA 2 too, I feel like LoL differentiated itself from Warcraft 3 characters and DotA kinda didn't.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game has a lot of potential. You can tell that this game was indeed made by players that enjoy this kind of thing. I cannot imagine the amount of time that went into creating and balancing LoR. This reminds me of the Blizzard of old that cared more about the quality of the game rather than the immediate monetary reward.

So I tried the extra Expedition and won 6 games. I got no real reward but I did get 100 xp per win and then 1500 at the end. 1500 is not to shabby over and above the dailies and such.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I noticed there's something like 6 factions?

Is there a conversion between them and the MTG colour pie?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I noticed there's something like 6 factions?

Is there a conversion between them and the MTG colour pie?

Here you go...

mtg_rune_final.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Nice post, I never played MTG (blasphemy!) but just reading these descriptions gives a good idea on strategy you should focus on when deck building.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So opened my Vault this morning before heading to work, didn't have much time to go into details, but it's a lot of cards, shards and wildcards.

Got a Jinx, Kalista and a 3rd Braum as champions I think. It will be interesting to see what I can do with these and the rest of the new cards. It should open up the options a bit.

My daily is Frostbite like 8 units, that will be a no brainer. :)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I am hoping I can keep leveling it, because I am just shy of level 12 vault.

I read some people didn't even get champ shards, getting 3 seems special.

Willy T

Trakanon Raider
My level 12 vault contained 0 champions and like 3 purple wildcards. However, you do get an expedition token after level 10 vault and the expedition guarantees a champion I believe.

Willy T

Trakanon Raider
I've run in to an inconsistency since playing that slightly jimmy rustling since it blocked me from having a 14 win expedition run.

So I basically had the win in the bag as long as I survived the turn. Well, turns out he summoned some sort of 30/30 with overwhelm with a 10 cost spell. I had a guy block and gave him barrier. So barrier should have blocked all the damage since my minion took 0 and survived right? Nope. My minion survived but the damage went through to my nexus and I lost. Sad face.

On the next occurrence in a total separate run, I had a minion with lifesteal that was about to kill one of his minions. Opponent buffs his blocking minion with barrier so I'm thinking I should get this health back right? Nope.

These 2 things kinda seem opposing to me. Just my 2 cents. Love the game so far though.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My level 12 vault contained 0 champions and like 3 purple wildcards. However, you do get an expedition token after level 10 vault and the expedition guarantees a champion I believe.

It also contains Shards which you can use to craft stuff or build up more for an Expedition/Targeted Champion. Mine had 2k+ shards.

Now that I have had some time to play this game, I have found it to be very strategic. I actually think that it is just as good as magic and maybe even a little better when it comes to how you play. The design of the game works better than any game I have seen in this genre. I have had so many games that I won because I outplayed my opponent as opposed to just blindly playing cards.

Some other things concerning the post above mine. 14 wins in expedition does not award anymore than 7 wins. You only get credit for your best attempt.

Damage is reduced to zero for as much damage as could be taken. Your target blocked and took no damage but could only block so much of it. The Barrier does not make you a 30/30 wall. If his creature had no Overwhelm, then you would have stopped all 30 points. The life steal works based on doing damage to the opponent whether it is the nexus or a creature. Since you did not have overwhelm, no damage occurred to either his creature or his nexus. This means you stole no life and thus gained no health. If say you had a Lifesteal/Overwhelm 30/30 creature, you would have gained 25 life if he had put a barrier around a 5/5 creature. You gain this because the 30/30 hits his nexus and of course the game is over anyways.

I got my 7 win with a deck that was way to good. So much removal and card advantage. 7 wins gets a lot. I got 3 commons,2 rares and a wild champion with 3500 shards. It also awarded 2000 XP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played my free expedition last night, didn't do too well, both Trial 1 and 2 only went to 3 wins. Still it's a lot of fun, and got Yasuo as my champion.

I really enjoy the expeditions, never played Arena much in Hearthstone since it's 100% RNG, this is more "constructed" as you select more than 1 card at a time, and they are "themed" so you can actually build decent decks with different strategies and combos and it works.

I need to decide what I want to do for Normal or Ranked PVP. I either craft new heroes to try new decks and strategies, or craft 3 of the heroes I have already to refine the decks I already play so they are more consistent. Decks are getting slightly more refined so consistency is getting more important, but playing the same thing over and over gets a bit boring.

That said, looking forward to playing some more tonight. :)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm basically done the experimental phase and going to start netdecking. The decks are too refined now to have meaningful progress with custom builds in Ranked. I'll make slight changes based on meta as usual.

I spent a couple hours last night working on late game frostbite deck with Tryn/Ramp/big shit.. kinda reminiscent of Druid in Hearthstone, but every time I got to the payoff rounds I was basically dead lol..

I'll be starting with this because it was the most bullshit deck I've faced, it keeps me in Freljord to keep leveling that region, it still plays as mostly Control which I prefer, and Rhasa & Ledros are just some serious bullshit

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm basically done the experimental phase and going to start netdecking. The decks are too refined now to have meaningful progress with custom builds in Ranked. I'll make slight changes based on meta as usual.

I spent a couple hours last night working on late game frostbite deck with Tryn/Ramp/big shit.. kinda reminiscent of Druid in Hearthstone, but every time I got to the payoff rounds I was basically dead lol..

I'll be starting with this because it was the most bullshit deck I've faced, it keeps me in Freljord to keep leveling that region, it still plays as mostly Control which I prefer, and Rhasa & Ledros are just some serious bullshit

That's funny, one of my deck during my expedition had Rhasa & Ledros and I thought it was pretty fun to play.

The interesting thing with Rhasa when I first read the card was that he kills the "weakest" units which I thought was nice, after playing it I realized it kill big stuff too if they are the only thing on the board, it's so obvious now I feel like an idiot for not realizing it before but the wording made it sounds like he only killed small stuff. :)

Yeah I saw that deck, Swim(or whatever his name is) seems to be the go to guy right now for LoR meta discussions. He has a video he does every Monday for Mobalytic about the meta deck for that week.