Lucifer

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
I am starting to think Chloe's "power" over Lucifer is her outright honesty towards herself while hiding nothing - figuratively and literally. Apparently she has no secrets to hide and the ending appears to point towards this possibility that even with most embarrassing situation possible for her to confront with her daughter, her daughter's reaction of, "Oh I've seen this already - I have the internet!"

As for Lucifer, I think he is going from leading those that request punishment willingly to seeking out those that deserve punishment automatically but are avoiding it. The scene where Chloe confronts her shooter threw me off since I thought Lucifer sent his soul to Hell. Yet it seems Lucifer has his mind locked into purgatory, tormenting him that Lucifer is waiting for the shooter to confront his sins and be punished for it.

Unfortunately, short of some major changes down the line, I do not see this show lasting. As a fan of the comic series, this show's parallels to the source materials are similar to Dolph Lundgren's version of the Punisher (another character most attempts really ruin - though "War Journal" was good in my opinion).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Lucifer pretty clearly has said that after people die they are no longer being punished in Hell, so the few people he runs across on Earth that need punishing he is making an effort to get it taken care of now. The producer guy that shot Chloe is fucked up because he saw the true face of Lucifer, which is too much for a mortal mind to comprehend, not because of anything else Lucifer did to him. Now, he probably thinks that if he goes to Hell he's in for an eternity of torment, but if we're to believe Lucifer (that no one is being punished anymore), that would actually be the only thing that stops his suffering.

I see two (well maybe three) driving forces for Lucifer. Right now he is still hung up on the punishment angle, because that's all he's known for millennia. When someone needs punishing, he is baffled when someone doesn't do the punishing. He feels that is the only way that the universe works, so he does it sort of automatically, and even feels out of sorts when it doesn't happen. And then of course there is his fascination with Chloe and why she is immune to him, obviously, but I sort of view that as more of a plot device to keep them together. His final driving force, however, is going to be the major arc of the series, I feel. It is, quite literally, him finding hope of salvation and seeking it.

Because think about it. It is without dispute (on this show at least) that at one point Lucifer was the favorite son of God. Then for whatever reason he was cast out and condemned to rule in Hell for all eternity. He has been there so long that not only has it ingrained every part of his being (punishment), but he eventually just said fuck it and left. There are a multitude of likely reasons that he left, perhaps he realized it wasn't making any difference, or he really was bored with it, but one reason very well could be that he was doing it because deep down he thought if he did a good enough job, maybe God would say ok, time's up, come on back upstairs kid. Except it never happened, and so he lost all hope and decided to enjoy himself on Earth instead of being miserable in Hell all the time. And lo and behold, he starts caring a little about humans (the dead singer in the first episode, Chloe, Beatrice eventually), does some things for altruistic reasons, and then hears Chloe's speech to the paparazzi guy about how the important thing is just trying to change, even if it doesn't work. You can literally see the realization on Lucifer's face as she is saying it. Whether he consciously thinks that this is his shot at salvation or not, I'm not sure, and he probably doesn't even realize that he still seeks God's approval, but it is fairly obvious that he does, and that will eventually be the point of the show I think. He may try to change just to spite God because God told him to punish people and now he is going to help people, and it is likely he'll never hear from God that he's on the right track. He will definitely do it with his own flair and interpretation of what is actually "change", but that's how I see things progressing.

Also, I really find Chloe to be extremely hot. She has a very angular and almost severe face, but something about it is incredibly attractive. Maybe hotter than Stana Katic.

I am hopeful that this show lasts simply because it might attract some female viewers with him being hot and a bit of a bad boy. But, since I like it, I'm sure it will fail miserably
frown.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This dude was in a pretty good show last season called Rush that no one watched.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hope this show is like Fringe on fox, starts off formulaic monster/bad guy of the week but turned into a show with a much larger arc

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Of course there's going to be a much bigger arc. They black angel already laid some ground work

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's one show in which I'm not sure I care if there is a "bigger" arc, I'd just enjoy Lucifer doing stupid shit and throwing good lines once a week.

spronk

FPS noob
Luciferenrolls in the police academy in season 2 and has to walk a beat in season 3, the show slowly morphs into The Wire

I think they'll try to do a major Heaven vs. Humans arc every now and then but it'll come across as super cheesy. The show also seems like it might be a good setup for demons come back to Earth becauseLuciferis away, but Reaper and Supernatural and so many other shows have covered that ground. Ultimately I don't think they are going to try and push any philosophical buttons of whether Hell is necessary or not, just stick to light case-of-the-week withLuciferdoing assists. I hope his Halle Berry assistant doesn't get killed off though, her kicking Kid Play's ass was awesome

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Someday I would like to see a show featuring the devil where they make him a bad guy. It would be an interesting change of pace to switch it around like that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Someday I would like to see a show featuring the devil where they make him a bad guy. It would be an interesting change of pace to switch it around like that.
Reaper? Sleepy Hollow? X-files?

Characters that are pure X or Y tend to be shit without a good actor (Ray Wise in Reaper was phenomenal). They also tend to be less flexible and shut down plot avenues. This version ofLuciferis based off of the Vertigo series. Definitely not 100% evil, but definitely 100% narcissistic, which is holding true so far. The # of shits he gives about others correlates to how their existence affects his.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure how long this will be interesting but I'm gonna enjoy it while it is.Luciferis just fucking killing it every time he's on screen.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also, I really find Chloe to be extremely hot. She has a very angular and almost severe face, but something about it is incredibly attractive. Maybe hotter than Stana Katic.

I am hopeful that this show lasts simply because it might attract some female viewers with him being hot and a bit of a bad boy. But, since I like it, I'm sure it will fail miserably
frown.png
You and me both bro, you and me.

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
This version ofLuciferis based off of the Vertigo series.
Well, in my opinion, the Vertigo version ofLuciferwould have been portrayed much differently.

The singer that sold her soul to the devil would have been talking toLuciferand he would have brushed her off, perhaps telling her he could care less about her soul.Lucifer's mind would have been drifting onto other things so when the two of them got shot at, Mazikeen - always by his side, would have killed the shooter. Chloe would have been assigned to the case, but sinceLuciferand Mazikeen are unearthly, no witnesses would have seen the shooter getting killed. A touch of curiosity would have overcomeLuciferto ponder who would dare shoot at the second most powerful entity and eventually arrive at the producer.Luciferwould have discovered an escaped minor demon of Hell was controlling the producer beforeLucifersends this demon into eternal torment. Chloe would have arrived to find the producer as a heap of flesh whileLuciferstood there aloft while Mazikeen would have a strong desire to dispatch Chloe but something is holding her back. As Chloe attempts to arrest the two for what she sees as murder, the two would have a "whatever" attitude and just leave unattested.

The angel would arrive atLuciferand while under the protection of Heaven, would still be quite fearful ofLucifer. As the angel explains that Hell needs to be under Heaven's control,Luciferwould subtly explain that he quit and gave the Key to Hell to Morpheus. After hearing this tale, the angel would depart, but at the last moment allude thatLucifer's abrupt leaving has caused the Damned to escape.Luciferwould have brushed off the remark, yet consider that perhaps he is not of free will, but still a part of God's master plan.

Over timeLuciferwould discover the therapist has been touched by an escaped tormented soul trying to comprehend the suffering it has endured while the human host with her education and experience is fighting a losing battle to balance the soul. The two paparazzi photographers are two more escaped tormentors of Hell. Both would be fearful ofLucifer, yet attempt to mock him for quitting on them and their kind. AsLucifershows the two a sampling of his power, Chloe arrives again to find two more corpses,Luciferwith his aloft attitude, and Mazikeen fuming that Chloe still lives. Later asLucifersoftly plays his piano at his bar, he begins to see that his departure has had an effect since the appearances of demons, devils, and lost souls seeking suffering are swirling around his confines.Luciferis starting to conclude that this is still a part of God's master plan and ponders the thought of rebellion against Him, before realizing he has been down that path before...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Whether that would have actually been entertaining to watch or not (I kind of doubt it), there is no way that would have lasted for more than a few episodes on network television. Probably not even on cable. For it to have any chance of succeeding they pretty much had to abandon almost all of the comic book character.

Which of course begs the question of why they even gave a shit to get the rights in the first place instead of just using a genericLucifer. I don't see how it would have worked any differently really, unless owning a nightclub and playing the piano is plagiarism.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Reaper? Sleepy Hollow? X-files?

Characters that are pure X or Y tend to be shit without a good actor (Ray Wise in Reaper was phenomenal). They also tend to be less flexible and shut down plot avenues. This version ofLuciferis based off of the Vertigo series. Definitely not 100% evil, but definitely 100% narcissistic, which is holding true so far. The # of shits he gives about others correlates to how their existence affects his.
Never saw Reaper, found Sleepy Hollow unwatchable. When did the devil appear in X-files?

I hear ya on the boredom inherent in pure evil / pure good characters. I'm just saying this "the devil isnt a totally bad guy" trope is so overdone its just as boring. Itd be much more interesting at this point to explore a seriously evil devil, because literally every TV depiction I can think of has had the devil as a somewhat relateable guy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK, I like the show.Luciferhas some philosophical musings that are all that is really left from the comic other than him playing piano at a nightclub. He is already talking about free will and not being in control of things. Which is different than he has ever experienced. Possibly from him pretending to be mortal, of a kind. This could be done in an interesting way.

But they can make that work a bit. I liked the part with the two paparazzi. I think the end of the season will go the route of fucking over Amenadiel. Like, because he couldn't convinceLuciferto return to hell. God will order Amenadiel to become the Lord of Hell (likeLuciferalready mentioned briefly). Creating Catch 22 that being the Lord of Hell is a "punishment" but refusing to take the position as one of the Host is defying God and being forced to hell anyway.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
ComicLuciferalso kicked all demons and damned out of hell when he left.

Devlin

Golden Squire
VertigoLuciferwouldn't need to solve crimes because a being second only to God wouldn't need to.