Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My bad, not sure why but I read your name and thought of Lyrical for some reason. Not sure why.

Glad things turned out okay for you man!

All the Rock Hard Weekend in the world wasn't gonna save my marriage!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
All the Rock Hard Weekend in the world wasn't gonna save my marriage!

Rofl, I read about that stuff a couple days ago and thought of you.

Take that for what you will.

Also, its all about Blue Chew now, bro!

PS: give the deets about the whole marriage/divorce thing.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Rofl, I read about that stuff a couple days ago and thought of you.

Take that for what you will.

Also, its all about Blue Chew now, bro!

PS: give the deets about the whole marriage/divorce thing.

Married for 19 years. She found someone else, and that magnified all the shit I was putting up with significantly. I asked her to step up and take care of her responsibilities, she refused, doubled down and it obliterated over the span of a few weeks.

I was pissed at the ungratefulness of the whole thing, and I'm definitely upset the kids need to suffer for this bullshit, but it turns out I'm happier without her. Now she can go make someone else's life miserable. It's been great for me ever since. House is clean, stays clean. No money vanishing from my bank account every fucking day, and it turns out if you don't sit around and play video games all day, you end up being pretty attractive to the opposite sex. Hasn't really slowed down at all.

I would have stayed with her forever because "until death do us part" actually means something to me. Thankfully, she removed the burden of choice from me, now I don't even need to feel guilty about it.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Need some help here. This could go in the GG thread but uh, I want some serious feedback.

Came home today to a RESIST bumper magnet slapped on the back of my wife's car. It's not really her car, we both own it, she just drives it 99% of the time. Regardless of that, I calmly asked her to ask me before putting political messages on our car. I'll admit I'm extremely anti label/logo, I feel it gives people a way to make assumptions. I'm likely a bit overboard with that, so we compromise on some stuff. The car has bumper magnets like Nightmare Before Christmas, for example.

Her response was that I didn't say anything about the one on the fridge, so she assumed I was ok about this one. In truth, I didn't notice it in the clutter, she collect fridge magnets, there's easily over 100. The whole surface area would be covered if it not were for some of the toddlers she watches can get at them. This was a mistake, a whole bunch of other shit we've argued about came flooding back.

She has a needlepoint from a friend that says "Fuck the patriarchy", I think I've even brought it up here previously. Even if that phrase wasn't offensive to males(which it is? maybe I'm wrong there?), the anti label part of me doesn't want to give others the chance to assume what "Fuck the patriarchy" or "RESIST" means to them.

Is my assumption wrong that general public perception has poisoned the phrases? And that a reasonable person, regardless of intention(true feminism, not 3rd wave bullshit), wouldn't associate themselves with it? Or, is it possible that this forum and the aforementioned other thread has tainted my view of those phrases?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dunno, the only semi political thing I'm okay with on my car would be the coexist one I guess.

I avoid them because I know there are assholes out there that would damage a car with that stuff on it if they don't agree. Yeah it's funny to get them riled up but their saltiness isn't worth my car getting keyed.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Any bumper sticker, or anything at all, that invites any kind of political conversation from complete strangers is a no-go for me. I'm not in the habit of inviting hostile interactions with people and a bumper sticker that says "RESIST" is antagonistic and vague for no reason. Like they are hoping you don't know what it means so they can shame you for your ignorance. It also seems a bit petulant to me... wanting to "fight the power" after a certain age instead of trying to question things you disagree with in a more appropriate manner.

But the biggest sticking point for me with anything like that is the people who usually decorate everything they own with whatever movement they want to get behind typically don't care at all about conversation to begin with. They just want people to agree with them, and there will be hell to pay if you don't agree.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Couldn’t agree more with the above post. Well said.

And LOL at the “fuck the patriarchy” needlepoint. I mean, what?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Couldn’t agree more with the above post. Well said.

And LOL at the “fuck the patriarchy” needlepoint. I mean, what?

Fuck the patriarchy! While i'm doing this traditional female gender role craft!

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any bumper sticker, or anything at all, that invites any kind of political conversation from complete strangers is a no-go for me. I'm not in the habit of inviting hostile interactions with people and a bumper sticker that says "RESIST" is antagonistic and vague for no reason. Like they are hoping you don't know what it means so they can shame you for your ignorance. It also seems a bit petulant to me... wanting to "fight the power" after a certain age instead of trying to question things you disagree with in a more appropriate manner.

But the biggest sticking point for me with anything like that is the people who usually decorate everything they own with whatever movement they want to get behind typically don't care at all about conversation to begin with. They just want people to agree with them, and there will be hell to pay if you don't agree.
This is a good point, thanks. It feels kind of dirty using our kid in this argument, but they(RESIST, fuck the patriarchy) do feel childish and I don't want her setting this example for him.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wouldn't let my wife put ANY bumper sticker on our cars, let alone a political one. Man, I hate bumper stickers.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't let my wife put ANY bumper sticker on our cars, let alone a political one. Man, I hate bumper stickers.
I hate them too, that's why I compromised on magnets.

I do want to know if I'm offbase here, is "fuck the patriarchy" offensive to white guys? Or have I been reading too much GG thread? She basically told me to prove it and all I got is my gut feel and that "patriarchy" is an inherently male word.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

I do want to know if I'm offbase here, is "fuck the patriarchy" offensive to white guys? Or have I been reading too much GG thread? She basically told me to prove it and all I got is my gut feel and that "patriarchy" is an inherently male word.
While I'm not personally offended by it(and most people who use it in any serious capacity are woefully ignorant about pretty much everything), it's a mantra of SJW feminism and is a way bigger red flag than a RESIST bumper sticker. That said, if it's just something one of her girlfriends gave her, whatever. When she shaves half of her head and dyes her hair purple and green, it's time to pull the ripcord.

And we've probably all been reading the GG thread too much, but that doesn't mean there aren't tons of valid points in that thread.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

It objectively meets the criteria to be considered offensive, yes. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who was actually seriously offended by the statement because we're more likely to just roll our eyes and dismiss anyone yammering about the patriarchy as a brain-dead oxygen thief than to actually get upset.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's ultimately what led the argument to posting here. If we were just debating the finer points of OTHER idiots' ideologies, I don't feel I need to involve this forum nor is it worth being offended about. She kept offering to hang the needlepoint in her office instead of the kitchen as some kind of compromise. I was honestly at a loss of words, so I just told her that I wanted her to stop supporting this stuff.

Yeah, I know, that never works and was the wrong thing to say. I didn't now how to get across to her that her support of this stuff lowers my opinion of her. It's not there yet, she doesn't take these phrases and movements to mean the same thing that we or others might.

There was a little keychain adornment that showed up in the mail a few months back. It had a quote from Ginsburg.

Quote by Ruth Bader Ginsburg: “When I'm sometimes asked when will there be eno...”

When I'm sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the Supreme Court] and I say, 'When there are nine,' people are shocked. But there'd been nine men, and nobody's ever raised a question about that.

Maybe I hold Supreme Court Justices to too high a standard? But blatant reverse sexism? That was a fun hour-long conversation. It was worrying that I had to explain that the endgame for feminism(and any form of equality) is merit-based selection and open mocking of such questions, not revenge-stacking the court. I haven't seen the keychain since, but I suspect it's because I'm not looking for it.

A lot of this feels like she's doing it because it(3rd wave feminism) is popular right now. I'm not sure if that's better or not, though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was worrying that I had to explain that the endgame for feminism(and any form of equality) is merit-based selection and open mocking of such questions, not revenge-stacking the court. I haven't seen the keychain since, but I suspect it's because I'm not looking for it.

Uh...Feminism isn't about merit based equality, it's literally about revenge and seizing power. I'm not trying to bog this down into something that's been covered to death already in other places, but it's very plain that equality is not the goal, power is.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Uh...Feminism isn't about merit based equality, it's literally about revenge and seizing power. I'm not trying to bog this down into something that's been covered to death already in other places, but it's very plain that equality is not the goal, power is.
It's a valid tangent because maybe this is a nuance we understand and others(people not on this forum) don't? She has no idea what 3rd wave feminism is, which is what I believe you are describing. And I think a lot of people call themselves feminists without more than a fleeting thought because their idea of feminism is 2nd wave, which is unfortunately dead.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Maybe it's because I never did my research but I never associated the RESIST thing with feminism.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe it's because I never did my research but I never associated the RESIST thing with feminism.
No, I don't either. RESIST is ambiguous, lazy "orange man bad". I did actually get her to answer that one, because it's "anti-Trump". The disappointment there was that I had to explain to her that this baseless flailing is exactly what an internet troll wants. I don't want her associated with RESIST because it embodies the left's pathetic response to Trump.