Marvel Netflix: Defenders

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So...early speculation is that Sigourney Weaver will be playing Mephisto.

Picard.png

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That looks more than good enough for me to forgive the hours wasted watching Iron Fist. Fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint and bonus points if it actually salvages the character. I'm already down with the rest of the crew.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I actually liked Jessica Jones's character. I didn't even bother watching Iron Fist. Hopefully he's cocky or smirky or some shit. Luke Cage has the coolest powers but is so fucking hum-drum. Daredevil is just like...worse Batman to me. I just don't like him.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I liked iron fist. I couldn't finish Luke Cage though. I haven't given up on it, but i's hard to watch.

Saw iron fist and luke cage at a convention this weekend. They were talking about defenders as if it were a movie. I assumed all the individual shows would be going away in favor of a defenders series. But they said they were all going back to their respective series (if they got renewed, not all of them had been yet). I thought it was odd that there were daredevil people at the convention, but they didn't sit in on the defenders Q&A.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I hope to god they have the Daredevil team handling fight choreography. Fucking Iron Fist is goddamn unwatchable with how bad it is.

I'd take 8 episodes of extended hallway fight scenes and be happy. The DD one and the Luke Cage one were both bad ass.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
For those that didn't like Iron Fist...

Iron Fist is ‘Mature’ By The End of The Defenders
21 May, 2017

According to Finn Jones, Iron Fist may just be ready to become a superhero by the end of The Defenders. Iron Fist the show and Danny Rand the character are having a rough time. While Season 1 was one of Netflix’s most watched, it was met with lots of backlash from fans and critics. Even with some of the casting controversy aside, the writing, acting, and action were met with much less acclaim than the other Marvel/Netflix shows. Many are hoping, however, that The Defenders can change that.

While Iron Fist is the only series yet to be given a second season, we’ll next see Danny in action this August when the street-level heroes of the Marvel universe team up to fight a new threat in The Defenders. The show will not only allow Danny some more shading, but let fans see how he functions as part of an ensemble rather than as the main character. We’ll also get to see Danny and Luke start a friendship, teasing one of comics’ best relationships. But echoing Mike Colter’s words yesterday that The Defenders would irrevocably change the various heroes, Danny Rand will come out of the show better than before.

MCU Exchange and the It’s All Connected Podcast have another quote from the recent Comicpalooza event in Houston. This time, Finn Jones spoke a bit about how The Defenders will change and mature Danny.

“The thing [with] Danny is that we’re taking an ordinary kid with a lot of issues and we’re trying to iron those out first before getting to Danny as Iron Fist. And what we’ll [see] in Defenders is Danny coming to terms with being a superhero. In the Defenders when he first starts, he doesn’t even know what a superhero is and then he meets those guys and he’s like ‘WHOA. This is cool,’ and by the end of it you kind of see Danny really coming to the grips with his responsibility in a much more mature way.”

While the quote sure seems to hint at Danny finally donning his costume and becoming a full-fledged hero, it’s rather hard to tell what the future holds as we don’t yet know if Iron Fist will be back. More than that, but Jones’ comments don’t completely match what we’ve seen of Danny so far. While immature and naive certainly seem to fit, Danny is hardly ordinary. Considering the trauma he’s been through and his magical martial arts training in a mystical city, he’s certainly in the most abnormal position of all of the heroes.

Still, the general idea seems to be that The Defenders will help shape and grow these characters, leading them closer to how they appear in the comics. As for Danny’s future, there’s certainly plenty of places his story could go, most of which will surely turn the opinion on the character around.

The same event brought us news that Madame Gao will be back for The Defenders, uniting Danny and Daredevil’s quests so far. Her appearance also ties into the tag at the end of Iron Fist, teasing the machinations of Davos and Joy Meachum in Danny’s future.

The Defenders arrives on August 18th, with The Punisher coming later this year. Daredevil seasons 1 and 2, Jessica Jones season 1, Luke Cage season 1, and Iron Fist season 1 are now available on Netflix. Premiere dates for the next seasons of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Luke Cage have not yet been revealed.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Iron Fist is the only one I haven't watched. Is it that bad? Should I skip it?

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
i'm about half way through it. worse than 2nd half of Luke Cage. Daredevil & Punisher are really leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of these. Choreography is bad, his acting is bad, story is best part but still not that great. i'm going to force my self to finish and hope it redeems itself w/ Defenders.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Iron Fist is the only one I haven't watched. Is it that bad? Should I skip it?

If I had it to do over again I would skip it. You learn some more about The Hand but nothing that reading a synopsis wouldn't be a improvement over trudging through the show to gain.

At this point the only payoff to watching Iron Fist will come if they can bring him back from Shitville in Defenders. I have no intention of watching a second season of that show otherwise.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Iron fist is good. The reason he acts the way he does is because he still has a 10 year old mindset of western civilization.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users