Marvel Netflix: Defenders

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jessica is the only one who has no real clue how to fight, plus Madame Gao was pretty much tanking both her and Cage the entire initial confrontation.

Jessica seemed to fight pretty smart. She never really learned how to fight because she never had to. Being as strong as she is against non super ninjas even being a half assed fighter is still enough to defend herself from just about any normal physical threat. She seemed to realize she was out of her league and not as invulnerable as Luke so she sort of hung back and punted people who were tied up fighting the others. Given her lack of training better that she stands back for assistance than wading in and getting in other peoples way.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I think i would have enjoyed the series a lot more if just about anyone else played Danny Rand other than Finn Jones, or at least anyone who could semi-convincingly pull off being a kung-fu master.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I thought the series was ok, didn't really blow me away or anything but I didn't hate watching it.

My favorite part of the whole series was also, in my opinion, one of the best ways you set up your main villain without just spelling it out or having them kick a baby or something. When Alexandra handed Gao (sp?) the bird seed and told her to finish feeding the pigeons, and Gao didn't rip her throat out and actually looked like she might get to feeding, you knew immediately this was not someone to fuck with. Incredibly well done scene I felt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I thought the series was ok, didn't really blow me away or anything but I didn't hate watching it.

My favorite part of the whole series was also, in my opinion, one of the best ways you set up your main villain without just spelling it out or having them kick a baby or something. When Alexandra handed Gao (sp?) the bird seed and told her to finish feeding the pigeons, and Gao didn't rip her throat out and actually looked like she might get to feeding, you knew immediately this was not someone to fuck with. Incredibly well done scene I felt.

I agree 100% with you. That scene was brilliant and even that small amount of interaction set up Alexandra as someone not to be fucked with.

Really, I was very impressed with Sigourney Weaver. I was afraid she'd phone it in or be wrong for the part, but she did a fantastic job playing a really subtle-but-insanely-power-and-evil villain.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Jessica Jones super ability is that shes as strong as man.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I agree 100% with you. That scene was brilliant and even that small amount of interaction set up Alexandra as someone not to be fucked with.

Really, I was very impressed with Sigourney Weaver. I was afraid she'd phone it in or be wrong for the part, but she did a fantastic job playing a really subtle-but-insanely-power-and-evil villain.
she carried the entire show. Would have been unwatchable without her.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So overall this was meh to me because the plot was just dumb.

SUPER JUICE HIDDEN IN DRAGON CAVE IN NYC!

I mean. Come on. Madame Gao is always good though.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So overall this was meh to me because the plot was just dumb.

SUPER JUICE HIDDEN IN DRAGON CAVE IN NYC!

I mean. Come on. Madame Gao is always good though.
I think the only issue I have with this is the other focus on New York they added which makes it raise more questions. Because it kind of seems like they JUST finally figured out where the dragon remains are (I'm OK with dragon remains being rare, sure) despite having had a lock on New York for 200+ years?

I think the bigger problem I have is with the Black Sky subplot. In DD S1 Black Sky was some kid or something right? And so what, they turned him into goo / ash and injected him into Elektra's body to "fuse" them or something, but it basically just brought Elektra back as herself but with super strength which really isn't that remarkable compared to everything else going on around them. And because they used Elektra, she went rogue and murdered Alexandra and became this essentially brand new villain kind of that suddenly could overpowered all these other built up ones (Gao in particular).

Also basically every fight scene that had Elektra on screen was terrible so I'm guessing she really can't move at all and they couldn't find/afford a double for her? Other than her scenes the fighting was all pretty solid. Jessica Jones is definitely my waifu and of course I think she was underutilized but she was utilized well when she was.

I'm not really looking forward to Punisher at all, I thought the character was OK as a side character in DD S2 (one of the only decent parts of that season) but can't see being into him as a focal point. Also hoping they really turn around the show for DD S3.
Overall, while not Avengers 1 level of nerdgasm awesomesauce, I think Defenders was fairly competent and I will probably rewatch it, which I can't say for most of the Marvel shows so far.

McCheese

You crazy. I'm looking forward to Punisher more than any of the other upcoming shows. Shits gonna be great.

• 2Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
About halfway through this and starting to get bored of it. Jessica Jones was really the only Marvel show so far that hasn't been bogged down by cheesy platitudes and idealistic idiocy. It's getting old.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Elektra going back and forth from someone who the 5 fingers of the hand are now match for, while at other times being evenly matched with Daredevil was kind of silly.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So iron fist was one of the most watched netflix series regardless of being bashed universaly. It actually had more viewers the JJ and luke cage.

I actally liked the defenders more than the others besides DD. They need to stop danny from mentioning hes the iron fist 10 times an episode

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think i would have enjoyed the series a lot more if just about anyone else played Danny Rand other than Finn Jones, or at least anyone who could semi-convincingly pull off being a kung-fu master.

Yeah they've managed to make him into Marvel's version of Hayden Christensen/Anakin Skywalker without the benefit of over the top heroics to offset all of the whining. I almost wonder if they just want the audience to hate him.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked IF Danny a lot more than I liked Danny in Defenders. IF series just reminded me of all the cheesy kung fu movies I used to watch with a weird western sheen over it, and some goober playing the main character (which to be fair is fairly typical of cheesy kung fu movies when you don't have Jet Li or Donnie Yen money). IF in Defenders took away what charm there was in that and just left the annoying parts.

I guess this would be my ranking:

1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil S1 (would be even better if you edited out some of the pointless stuff)
3. The Defenders
4. First ~8 episodes of Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist
6. Last ~3 Episodes of Luke Cage
7. Whatever comes out next
8. The thing after that
15. Daredevil S2

I think DDS2 is the only one I won't rewatch at some point when I get bored. All the others are pretty decent TV and have some amazing moments that really stand out.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Finished last night, enjoyed it quite a bit. As i said earlier, the use of colors and transitions was great. The JJ running bit was hilarious, and the poking fun at Iron Fist was fun.

i felt like the dragon bones were not in New York, they were physically in Kun'Lun. They didn't do enough to explain it though. I don't read comics, but I did read the Immortal Weapons. There seems to be more than one gate into Kun'Lun. I don't feel like Elektra carried Matt out of the pit, I think they entered further into Kun'Lun and left another way. Also the ending with Sister Maggie might end up being Matt's mom.

I had no issues with the fight scenes. I've never been in a fight and I've never taken a martial arts class so they fooled me. Will be interesting to see where they take the individual series going forward.

Cybsled

You should adjust the DDS2 ranking to place the Punisher Scenes alone much higher

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had no issues with the fight scenes. I've never been in a fight and I've never taken a martial arts class so they fooled me. Will be interesting to see where they take the individual series going forward.

What about the fact that all the fight scenes were sped up about 5-6 times the normal rate and the camera is constantly cutting to different angles or panning in circles? I'm not sure how anyone could even make heads or tails of what is actually happening in each fight. The fight scenes are completely unintelligible.

It's so ridiculous it actually looks like claymation... like you're watching an episode of Robot Chicken. Marvel seems to be phoning a lot of this TV series shit in.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You should adjust the DDS2 ranking to place the Punisher Scenes alone much higher

Whenever someone ranks DD season 2 so low like that I know it's safe to completely disregard any of their opinions on anything.

• 2Solidarity

McCheese

So iron fist was one of the most watched netflix series regardless of being bashed universaly. It actually had more viewers the JJ and luke cage.

It's almost like people on the internet--and this forum especially--are jaded bitter cunts. Iron Fist (and Defenders) was fun.
OMG_Face_Emoji_large.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Iron Fist is objectively terrible. Stop with the all opinions are equal.

• 2Like