Marvel Universe stuff

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
There really isn't a reason for it, though. A country with a population that was 85% white (As when these characters were created) made white looking super heroes? Do people go to china and shame them for their Chinese mythological heroes? Saying we need to add diversity "because racism", is just trying to shoe horn in racism where it doesn't fit. Comics were always super progressive, they were discussing racial issues in metaphor for quite a long time.

But comics are also mythos, and mythological figures arealsoa reflection of the society they come from, and America didn't have 12+ million Hispanic migrants then, and the black population was sub 10%, if race is really important (Like some people think who get angry at white washing) then the diversity of mythos should reflect the diversity of races, which Marvel's characters actually did.. There were black heroes, yeah, 9 out of ten heroes were "white", but if the goal of race is to reflect diversity in a country (Because race is so important) why should a smaller population be over-represented? Unless racedoesn't matter(Which is what I believe), then we shouldn't care about thisat all....Either way, the double standard doesn't make sense (IE if race is important, than a proper reflection of race is logical, and only 13% of the U.S. is black, if race is NOT important, then it doesn't matter, at all, either way--bring on Idris Elba as Iron Man). I totally get why Marvel wants the growing diversity in there, and that's fine, hell, I think it's great--but the hostility toward a white actor playing a minority role also has to stop.

Making the argument now that because characters reflected their writers makes a double standard okay is not a powerful argument. You could argue that because of racism, it's needed--but again, is that a good argument when there isn't scant evidence it was actually about racism? And isn't that really a punitive argument? I just don't see how you can logically argue for a double standard when attempting to achieve some kind of equality, it's the antithesis of equality. Maybe I'm missing something though.
Minority groups complain about the loss of characters precisely because there are so many fewer of them. Even so, I've never seen any complaint match the fervor that happened when Idris Elba was cast as Heimdall so what exactly is the double standard?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Minority groups complain about the loss of characters precisely because there are so many fewer of them. Even so, I've never seen any complaint match the fervor that happened when Idris Elba was cast as Heimdall so what exactly is the double standard?
If you didn't notice the same fervor with evenshittymovies being white washed? I don't know what to tell you. Read more papers. Also, the relative population of characters, again given the population figures in the U.S., should not matter. If color isn't important, than it also shouldn't matter.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Of course it's punitive Royal. Don't be a dumbfuck

If I make a female spy movie no one will watch it.

If I make the exact same movie and call her Jamie Bond 007 it'll cause a massive fucking shitstorm. You don't think that's intended to cause a negative reaction? Of course it is. It's meant to piss off men and create hype and ticket sales. No other reason you rape existing IPs by VASTLY changing the demographic. They play their customers like fiddles and dipshits like you and I waste time debating it. Every week we get a new story on this subject because it sells.

Oh hey look. They just cast a black girl as Rocketeer. Total fucking coincidence.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
James T Kirk didn't buy it when the Klingons pontificated that he's never really read Shakespeare until he's read it in original Klingon and neither do I. Sulu was a fucking ladies man, now he's gone full homo for no reason. Even Takei is ashamed and he's the only gay guy involved. So...why did they do it? Star Trek has been doing interspecies and more for 50 years and ffs Denise Crosby fucked an android 25 years ago.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and to a degree Spiderman seem heavily within the second wave. With RDJ probably not doing 10 more movies, it makes sense to entrench the younger (Ok outside Cumberbatch) stars as the primary protagonists within the next couple of years. Endear them to the populace so that when all the clearly forthcoming reboots of various characters occur, you have at least semi-memorable and recognizable characters to throw in and maintain the relative momentum.

I'm not sure the MCU is planning that far, but it would make complete sense if that is the general direction they were heading in.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Of course it's punitive Royal. Don't be a dumbfuck

If I make a female spy movie no one will watch it.

If I make the exact same movie and call her Jamie Bond 007 it'll cause a massive fucking shitstorm. You don't think that's intended to cause a negative reaction? Of course it is. It's meant to piss off men and create hype and ticket sales. No other reason you rape existing IPs by VASTLY changing the demographic. They play their customers like fiddles and dipshits like you and I waste time debating it. Every week we get a new story on this subject because it sells.

Oh hey look. They just cast a black girl as Rocketeer. Total fucking coincidence.
We're talking about within the Marvel Studios franchises not across the entire industry. At least I am.

Feige is not sitting around with his fellow executives maniacally plotting how to simultaneously stick it to the white guys and drum up attention for their movies. They're not so desperate for social buzz that they have to intentionally alienate a portion of their fan base to get it. That's not to say they're not aware that diversifying their casts in ways that diverge from the source material isn't going to ruffle some feathers. They know it will, from some of the comic purists if from no one else. But it's overwhelmingly a business growth decision because at the end of the day, they're running a business here.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Nah they can just cast Wayne Brady for the part.

00b19019873b9cf0b65e4cca126c0e8718c55784a80d18114f8793d08ae39935.jpg

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Also, the Captain Marvel movie is supposed to be set in the 90s with her fighting Skrulls, and with pre-eyepatch Nick Fury making an appearance.