Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finished the platinum - White Rider trophy is a pain in the ass, Christ.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Are you guys playing on the computer or on a console to do revenge killings?
PC, Steam. Even with the overpriced Euro prices on steam (same as US only currency is not the same), the premium edition cost less than the standard PS4 game in stores here. PS4 prices are stupid.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
PC, Steam. Even with the overpriced Euro prices on steam (same as US only currency is not the same), the premium edition cost less than the standard PS4 game in stores here. PS4 prices are stupid.
That's bullshit, it should be illegal. I always wondered why GoG.com makes a big deal out of the fact they convert to proper prices. Figured everyone did.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doing that mission where you had to shoot like 10 archers on a cliff and 3 captains decided to ambush me. Screamed FUCK as loud as I could. Needless to say I died.

The best part is one of the archers was a captain

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Doing that mission where you had to shoot like 10 archers on a cliff and 3 captains decided to ambush me. Screamed FUCK as loud as I could. Needless to say I died.

The best part is one of the archers was a captain
Some missions / areas are hardcoded to spawn captains I think. I had several captains spawn on that mission too (I believe it is a bow upgrade mission).

Died several times there, as each time I spent too long, and captains came. Fighting surrounded by ranged is death in this game.
Upgraded arrow capacity, and quickshot (gave up on the bonus objective of headshots) them, and managed to kill them before the captains showed up.

@Jait I completely agree it should be illegal, however, I think it is a case of Steam doing it automatically, but with the developers having the option to change it. I do know some games/developers have lowered their price to fit in line with US prices, but for most titles, they just switch the $ to ?. More money for both Steam and the devs. Borderlands has changed it though, US $59 full price, and ?49 full price. We only have to pay $2-3 more on that.

Never bought anything but older titles on GoG, maybe I need to start using them rather than steam.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
So I guess trying to clear the map of captains is futile until you advance the story past a certain point. I killed most of the captains in the Sauron's army menu while running around doing side missions and all their positions ended up being filled by unknown enemies.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Best moment in the game so far-

Unknown captain gets promoted to Warchief. Gain some Intel and his name is Dush. After completing the mission to get him to appear, he walks out in slow motion with the orc army chanting "Douche, Douche, Douche, Douche".

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some missions / areas are hardcoded to spawn captains I think. I had several captains spawn on that mission too (I believe it is a bow upgrade mission).

Died several times there, as each time I spent too long, and captains came. Fighting surrounded by ranged is death in this game.
Upgraded arrow capacity, and quickshot (gave up on the bonus objective of headshots) them, and managed to kill them before the captains showed up.

@Jait I completely agree it should be illegal, however, I think it is a case of Steam doing it automatically, but with the developers having the option to change it. I do know some games/developers have lowered their price to fit in line with US prices, but for most titles, they just switch the $ to ?. More money for both Steam and the devs. Borderlands has changed it though, US $59 full price, and ?49 full price. We only have to pay $2-3 more on that.

Never bought anything but older titles on GoG, maybe I need to start using them rather than steam.
I also think more Captains will come over time the longer a fight last. I went through 6 in one fight with a Warchief before I figured out the my current cheese move setup to iWin everything.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
That flurry kill/head explosion ability is a much more reliable way to permanently kill the captains. I don't even know when I got it, but it beats praying that your execution ability results in a decapitation.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
That flurry kill/head explosion ability is a much more reliable way to permanently kill the captains. I don't even know when I got it, but it beats praying that your execution ability results in a decapitation.
It's an ability called Wraith Finisher and it costs 1 ability point. It is one of the best ability point investments to get. It combos well with Vault Stun, Combat Drain, and Wraith Stun. Use it in conjunction with runes that give you + Return on Flurry kill and + Return on Head explosions for a quick in battle way of killing healing/refilling your Focus/Elf-shot bar. Also use + Return on Drain runes for for combos off of Combat Drain.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
It seems like the wraith finisher is necessary to complete that warchief mission where you have to kill 20 uruks in 2 minutes. I can't really think of a faster way to kill them.

Vaclav

It seems like the wraith finisher is necessary to complete that warchief mission where you have to kill 20 uruks in 2 minutes. I can't really think of a faster way to kill them.
20 Uruks in 2 minutes I think I finished in around 30 seconds - explosives + Fire Arrow/unlimited focus L3/R3 thing blows shits up.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm approaching the end of the game and I think I have enough experience to say that the nemesis system is kind of disappointing. It's a positive step in the evolution of gaming, but it's more of a novelty at this point. You never even see it in effect unless you deliberately limit your powers and repeatedly die to the same dude. I've had one nemesis the entire time and that was within the first hour. I was fully expecting to draw the ire of my enemies and have them pursue me across the land but sadly that didn't happen.

nuday

Golden Squire
My only nemesis was an orc that was immune to everything but stealth kills and constantly surrounded by six or seven of the spear-uruks. The only reason he was my nemesis is that I could never behead him so he couldn't come back.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So what is the general opinion on this if I liked the Batman games? Worth full price? Wait for price cut? How does the game play KBM vs Controller?

Vaclav

I'm approaching the end of the game and I think I have enough experience to say that the nemesis system is kind of disappointing. It's a positive step in the evolution of gaming, but it's more of a novelty at this point. You never even see it in effect unless you deliberately limit your powers and repeatedly die to the same dude. I've had one nemesis the entire time and that was within the first hour. I was fully expecting to draw the ire of my enemies and have them pursue me across the land but sadly that didn't happen.
It'll effect things otherwise too - if one you're not dealing with has a successful Beast Hunt for example they'll often get "Hate of Caragors" afterwards for example. I'm sure there's other ways things like that pop up too. Retinue size from Recruitments of course.

Just sit there and hit "Pass Time" a few times on a tower after noting a few of their abilities and you'll see shifts (plus some come and go because of infighting of course - again not a "repeatedly die intentionally to see it work" thing)

And on them pursuing, it depends on which - some absolutely do seem to - there was one that chased me a ton, but never got Nemesis flagged that I saw.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Buy for 25% off on GMG, well worth the $37.50
don't see any 25% off for this on GMG
frown.png

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
20 Uruks in 2 minutes I think I finished in around 30 seconds - explosives + Fire Arrow/unlimited focus L3/R3 thing blows shits up.
Yeah those ultimates are crazy powerful, especially considering they are on separate timers. For warchiefs or captains with multiple adds I start with bow special, once it runs out, I keep headshotting until one arrow left, then use shadow strike to warp in, stealth special followed by normal special. Still not met an encounter or enemy that could stand up to that. First one I used all of them on was the first black hand guy, and it felt cheesy. Hardest events turn out to be the ones with special win/loss conditions. Having to sneak around a stronghold now feels silly as I can just ride a Grorg into the middle, jump off and murder everyone.

Will also agree that the nemesis system shows its limitations later on. It is something I hope other games build on (especially EQNext with storybricks), but been a while since I had a "nemesis". Only named to kill me repeatedly was the arrow warchief in the first map. If he hit me with the multiple arrow volley it took me from full to downed in one hit. Not sure if it is easier with a mouse, but the counter thing feels hard with a controller.