NBA 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Not sure why my choice for MVP has you so butthurt that you have to strawman it. When an MVP race is close and one of the players has 10+ wins on the other guy, that's a pretty good tiebreaker.
I didn't strawman anything. The entirety of your post was "Curry's led his team to way more wins". I responded exactly to that.

DickTrickle

There have been a lot of great players on average teams that put up good or even great stats and ultimately take their teams nowhere. There's a difference between a team standing back and letting a great one-on-one player go to work, versus a team that designs an entire system around a player especially when that players individual stats may even drop to make the team better. And there's a reason why players on perennial championship contenders are considered all-time greats when their stats may not be as good as some other dude who's the only guy putting up numbers on a shitty team.

Not that the MVP even matters. Only good players on shitty teams really care about the MVP as they know that's their championship. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Harden won the MVP and struggled in another first round playoff loss.
The Rockets do have the third best record in the league. It's not like he's pulling a Carmelo Anthony. And, besides, the Rockets are not just about backing off and letting Harden do isolations. They feed so much of their movement/plays off his drives and the way he breaks down a defense. The downside of that is when you're so reliant on one player to be responsible for leveraging and pressuring the defense, if that guy can get contained, the whole offense shuts down (hence the poor playoff showings). It's why Golden State will likely go further than the Rockets in the playoffs, imo. They spread around the responsibility of the offense even if Curry is the fulcrum.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I didn't strawman anything. The entirety of your post was "Curry's led his team to way more wins". I responded exactly to that.
You turned that into me saying only teams with the best records can gave the MVP. That's a textbook example of a strawman

DickTrickle

You turned that into me saying only teams with the best records can gave the MVP. That's a textbook example of a strawman
Incorrect. I said if you were like that then there's no reason to continue (there are people like that, I hope you realize), to not waste any further posts. I didn't say you were that. That's a pretty significant difference.

And that was after I gave a reason why the winning percentage (the only value you expressed) may not necessarily be due in large part to Curry himself and you just brushed it off because it made a reference to a previous year (even though I think it's a salient point since part of determining value is determining how much a player contributes to team success). You didn't actually expand on your comment and, you know, advance your point, until your third post. I'm going to respond to what people write, not some hypothetical perspective they're too lazy to take the time to articulate. So spare me the strawman accusation when you clearly don't give a shit about having your opinion understood.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Lol @ MVP talk. If you could take only 1 player out of the league for your team and you didn't pick Lebron you're wrong and you should feel bad. /mippo.

DickTrickle

At his age and minutes played, I think you'd have to choose someone younger at this point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Golden State of Mind is a solid source. They aren't as biased as you think they would be. Curry has actually been really good on the defensive end this year.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Pellies just jumped OKC for the last playoff spot. If they make the playoffs how is the Brow any less of an MVP candidate than Russ would be leading his team to the 8th seed?

DickTrickle

It's always harder for big men because offense gets weighted more heavily and big men don't usually dictate the offense as much, even if they put up high numbers (compared to someone like Curry or Harden). I think that can be made up with defensive prowess (someone like Dwight Howard in his prime completely changed a team's defense) but I'm not so sure Davis is in that tier defensively. He's got the blocks and steals numbers but better advanced defensive metrics aren't nearly as high.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played a $1 lineup last night on fanduel. Woke up and I came in 2nd. Won $1,250. That's a good morning. MCW still hooking his old Philly fans up with solid performance! He was a big reason I won.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still really curious to see what happens with Khris Middleton this offseason. It's one of those very rare situations like Monta Ellis where a completely unrestricted FA with real impact potential will hit the market.