NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't see how Embiid stays healthy with the way he plays, he's just too reckless with his body. I hope I'm wrong, he's one of the most fun guys in the league to watch. As a Sixers fan I cringe every time he hits the floor.

Simmons is the real deal, in person he's startlingly big. Against the Rockets last week he was legit as tall as their centers. If they can just fix whatever weird shit is going on with Fultz they're going to be pretty good for years.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Simmons still needs to work on his shot. He would be even more dangerous if he could knock down a three and hit his free throws.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's just earlier than usual this season.

Warriors apparently did something similar before the Clippers game. I'd say it worked, but the Warriors haven't lost to the Clippers since 2014 or some shit.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Take all these early season games with even less weight than usual due to the shortened offseason and preseason. Its an adjustment for the players, plain and simple. Especially for teams like the Warriors and Cavs whose seasons didn't finish until mid June and then they're playing real games again in mid October.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crowder has been pretty bad. Hopefully Thomas comes back and balls out.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've mentioned before on these forums that I've been a long term secret timberwolves fan. I went to a ton of games their first few seasons when I lived in minnesota.

Only the second time period I can remember them not being a burning pile of shit.

Jozu

Wiggins is a star. Towns is a star. Butler is a borderline superstar.

Wolves are going to be good for a while.

The Pacers look surprisingly good. Miles Turner getting hurt was the best thing that has happened to them this young guy Domantis Sabonis is tearing shit up in his place.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'd say Towns is a superstar, Butler is "just" a star on this team, and Wiggins may be a little bit of a fraud star. I don't know, Wiggins is just nowhere near good enough a defensive player as he needs to be and as he should be, and I think his offense is a little hollow at times even if he does put up points.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I love Wiggins, but I don't think he is quite a star yet. He certainly has the potential, and he is a blast to watch play. He still needs to refine his game though. Even Towns could stand to play better defense, at least based on last year.

Glad to see Sabonis doing well. His dad is one of the most underrated players of all-time, a legitimate all-time great at Center. It's too bad he didn't play his prime years in the NBA.

• 1Solidarity

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I think the public perception of these guys is much higher than the reality. Towns looks every bit the part of a generational offensive player, but he has no defensive awareness. And that's too bad because he has all the physical tools there. He's young, but most young players show some improvement there and he just hasn't. We may be looking at a Dirk like situation where he just really needs to be covered by an elite rim protector next to him. I still have hope here. It always looks to me like he's just trying to hard. Leaves his guy often to try and give weak side help but that just leaves the rest of the defense exposed if it's not handled with a little more finesse.

Wiggins? Who knows. He's not very efficient and he's absolutely shitty on defense, but he makes plays often enough that show you his all world potential. Does he realize that? I don't know. I think there's a chance the Wolves end up regretting that contract, at the same you understand that they had to give it to him.

Butler is great. Thus far he's taken a bit of a back seat in scoring, but he's that guy that does all the little things that make the team better.

The biggest difference in this team compared to years past is that despite some really fucking ugly basketball through 8 games, they have enough talent on the court finally to make some crunch time buckets and swing those 50/50 games their way. This has legit happened in all 5 of their wins. Two of their losses their got blown out by Detroit and Indiana. Jimmy didn't play those games, but it's still pretty inexcusable. They should be 7-1 right now. That said, they're not going to win every crunch time game and really need to figure out how to not squander leads down the stretch. Crawford's falling over 3 pointer against Utah, Wiggins half court buzzer beater against OKC, on Wednesday Jimmy had this nutty and one at the end of the game that sealed that one. You're not going to win 50 games relying on shit like that all season.

They should make the playoffs this year, but there's a ton of questions as to if they actually reach their potential or not. 29th in the league in Drtg isn't going to get us there either.

• 1Like

Jozu

I didnt know that Domantis is Arvidas Sabonis' son??! Thats awesome. I picked him up on my fantasy team like 3 games into the season,now I am even more proud!

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
"Wizards are a legit threat this year".

This team is so overrated, how do you possibly lose to this Mavs squad. They are fucking up my Team Tank dreams.

Gonna be a long season for LBJ now that the only other player that did anything on the court went to Boston, say what you want about Kyrie but he was the only Cav not standing around waiting on LeBron to get shit going.

On LeBron. Here is what I think. For his whole life, playing with him made everyone around him feel like they were on whippits. So two observations LBJ *is* getting older now, and second, LBJ *still* makes everyone around feel as if they are doing whippits.

That is my opinion. Cavs are entering a funny kind of crazy land. Lebron has every right to go all "late Miles Davis" on us.

I shall always have, the Block, the Shot, the Stop...

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
LBJ is truly an amazing guy. They discussed who is the next superstar that replaces him in kid's dreams on ESPN and had no up;coming answers. I tend to agree but it's still early. For my generation, we will always have the shot. Not by Pippen...but by the GOAT.

3909741053_026d2f4f5f.jpg

• 1Like