NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Do we really think a QB picked #2 in the draft will sit for 2 years? Serious question because I don't keep up with other teams well enough to know this answer, but when was the last time a QB picked in the top 5 sat for 2 years? 1 year?

Edit: a QB who wasn' a bust from day 1 that is. JFF might fit the description but he sat because he was a bust not because they were developing him.
Obviously not picked in the top five. But Rodgers is the closest thing I can remember. Picked late 20's but was projected as top five right up until draft day. Guess the system quarterback label scared some teams off of him.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
God no. You saw how that worked out for Carr. Dallas should probably sign Hardy, though, since their whole defensive line's going to be suspended for weed
Although I certainly see the concern, Norman is quite a bit better than Carr. Carr never got close to touching what Norman did last year (lowest qbr when thrown at, 54.0 I believe).

No. We need D-line help.
Definitely do not disagree, but at this point Hardy may take $5 million /yr just so he can play, and Norman allows us to go D-Line or Zeke in the draft instead of Ramsey.

Who knows, we'll see. I'm a major proponent of having a lock down corner, Norman can be credited majorly with the Panthers taking the step last year.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Although I certainly see the concern, Norman is quite a bit better than Carr. Carr never got close to touching what Norman did last year (lowest qbr when thrown at, 54.0 I believe)
I wonder how many teams will shy away from him because he'll be 29 when the season starts. He's going to want at least a 4 year deal, and most likely 3 years guaranteed. How many teams want to commit to an elite player so close to 30? I can see why Carolina didn't pull the trigger

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Steelers go cut everyone you need to cut for cap space and sign him ffs. Then they could draft another corner or a guy like Karl Joseph. That's all they were missing aside from a KO'd AB to win the SB last year :/

And I don't give a fuck if Norman has like 4-5 good years, that's all Ben has....make the most of that window. Knowing their cheap asses they will continue to flounder in FA when they actually *need* to sign someone.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
if Norman has like 4-5 good years, that's all Ben has....make the most of that window. Knowing their cheap asses they will continue to flounder in FA when they actually *need* to sign someone.
You'd be lucky to get 4-5 years out of him. I'd imagine there's a steep drop off at age 32 or so for CBs

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You'd be lucky to get 4-5 years out of him. I'd imagine there's a steep drop off at age 32 or so for CBs
Yea 0 fucks given. The Steelers went from like 1980 Bradshaw for 20+ years with shit such as Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart. Big Ben's dont come along often. If you can win 1 more while he can play at a high level by signing the missing link to fix that atrocious pass defense....even for a few good years, you do it. Who knows if they will flounder through the future like they did in the 80s and 90s trying to find a franchise QB for the next 20 years. Those guys are just too rare to fuck around with when you actually have one and are only missing a piece or two to be a championship caliber team.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Fair enough. Kinda like what the Giants did this year in FA and splurged because Eli only has a couple good years left as well. Thing is, I'm not sure the Steelers are the kind of org that would go all in - they seem pretty level headed

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love that the Giants are aggressively trying to win another one in that window -- they get it. Pittsburgh should follow suit

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's awfully confident. That only happens if the Redskins and Cowboys fall apart this season. I'd guess 6-10 or 7-9 at best.
Since when are the Skins in the discussion as one of the teams to beat? Yeah, we won the division last year, but we had to have a lot of things break our way for that to happen. I don't see us being some giant hurdle for another team in the division's record. I'll be happy if we go 8-8 next year.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how many teams will shy away from him because he'll be 29 when the season starts. He's going to want at least a 4 year deal, and most likely 3 years guaranteed. How many teams want to commit to an elite player so close to 30? I can see why Carolina didn't pull the trigger
Shit no kidding, thought Norman was 25-26ish. Definitely makes me think twice about that deal. That being said, the Cowboys window is 2-3 years max, unless a QB is delivered to them on a golden platter.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
+1. It's even funnier if you imagine this being a response to Convo's sycophantic post about the trade. "Are you taking those motherfucking mushrooms!?"
Which post is that? All I see in this thread is a bunch of Cowboy fans claiming fleece bc the thought of Eagles getting it right kills their soul. Eagles think Wentz is the real deal. The guy is 6'5, 230lbs.. he can run and make all the throws. You're not even seeing much criticism on him, which is strange being this close to the draft. He is mainly being compared to Big Ben, Cam and McNair.. not bad company.

I said it almost every post, it's a risk, but these things are always a risk.. the difference is, we were in a position this year to move up. We don't claim greatness every year then run out shit like the cowboys and get a top 5 pick. We didn't even have a top 10. If you think it cost us a lot this year to get to 2 it would have cost us even more next year trying to move down from probably the 12-18 range for guys they may not have liked as much.. If you stop being a mouth breather for a second and actually think about it all, it makes a little more sense.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I think there's one or two more than normal. No idea where we come from.

Again, from an objective standpoint I like the move. They get a potential franchise QB to play after Bradford (who is reportedly not happy with the move) and because of Bradford they don't have to throw him to the wolves right away.

Personally I hope it continues the downfall started by Chip though.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Since when are the Skins in the discussion as one of the teams to beat? Yeah, we won the division last year, but we had to have a lot of things break our way for that to happen. I don't see us being some giant hurdle for another team in the division's record. I'll be happy if we go 8-8 next year.
You're underselling your team. They won...so they are the team to beat. Philly just screwed themselves for a while. Cowboys have a broken toy at QB. Giants bought a lot of shit but who knows if it will work? Philly's 'Dream team' didn't work so why not the 'skins? At least your division can go in different directions. AFCE is NE and maybe some other team gets it together. Bleah.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Carolina didn't pull the trigger because their front seven can make a lot of DBs look better than they are.

Norman is good, no doubt, but when QBs are running for their lives you can play press coverage and grab jerseys all day.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Eagles trade is just as stupid as the Ram's trade. Neither are "win now" teams. Neither QB they take is even NFL ready. They mortgaged their future on a flyer on a "could be good" QB but by the time they develop into "could be good" they've given away their 1st and 2nd round picks. You get starters in those rounds. You are expected to get starters in those rounds and generally players who will stick around on the team for subsequent contracts. The Rams are not close to a super bowl and the Eagles are not close to a super bowl. They were drafting high because they suck dicks for sport. So now they take a team which is already flawed, plug in a high draft QB and fail to surround him with more talent because the next two years of their draft is in the shitter. These trade up deals are almost universally terrible and I don't know why GMs continue to make them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Eagles trade is just as stupid as the Ram's trade. Neither are "win now" teams. Neither QB they take is even NFL ready. They mortgaged their future on a flyer on a "could be good" QB but by the time they develop into "could be good" they've given away their 1st and 2nd round picks. You get starters in those rounds. You are expected to get starters in those rounds and generally players who will stick around on the team for subsequent contracts. The Rams are not close to a super bowl and the Eagles are not close to a super bowl. They were drafting high because they suck dicks for sport. So now they take a team which is already flawed, plug in a high draft QB and fail to surround him with more talent because the next two years of their draft is in the shitter. These trade up deals are almost universally terrible and I don't know why GMs continue to make them.
This is a terrible analysis and emo driven.. Eagles moved up to 8 thru a trade which put them in a position to get to 2. Had they stayed where they were, the price may have been too high for them.

We have drafted in the top 5, 3 fucking times in like 30 years. you're clueless!!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Can't wait until the draft is over and there's no more of this "BREAKING NEWS: MEL KIPER'S 17TH MOCK DRAFT RELEASED" bullshit

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
As a Browns "fan" I'm happy with the trade. We have too many holes that need filling and a solid QB alone won't fix issues. Those of us who aren't emotionally invested in the team already know we're going to tank next season. Some analysts looking at our schedule only see one win on the schedule (most think it will be on December 24 when San Diego comes to Cleveland). So I'm happy to stockpile a ton of picks and try and rebuild through the draft.

Last season I said it all along. We needed a truly terrible season to burn the franchise down and restart from scratch. It looks like we got exactly that. So I don't expect this season to be any better but this season the expectations are, rightfully, so low that only those emotionally invested in the team should expect anything more than a dumpster fire.