NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You guys are way too nice on Nester Nester . If I had a bet with him this would be the avatar I’d give him.
1611252664037.jpeg

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

On the first try, probably not. He didn’t play in a Super Bowl, unlike the other two quarterbacks taken (with Rivers) in the first 11 selections of round one of the 2004 draft. Eli Manning won a pair of Super Bowls, as did Ben Roethlisberger.
Rivers won’t, and should’t, gain entry on his first eligibility for admission. Eventually, he likely will. And here’s what will help him: TV.

If Rivers becomes a broadcaster, he’ll become a beloved broadcaster. He’ll be great at it. And in time his football accomplishments and TV accomplishments will combine, boosting his candidacy as a player.

Sums it up pretty well in regards to Rivers.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8th in yards and 9th in tds, and everyone ahead of him except for marino were people he played at the same time as. Eras matter. Also he will likely be passed by Ryan and Stafford in both of these at some point in the near future and by Rodgers for yards.

Fair point about Griese though, he was at a similar position as ELI when he retired as he was around 10th in both all time yards and TDs I think. He did make 8 pro bowls in 14 seasons though back when it didn't get passed down to the 15th alternate.

Everyone ahead of him other than Big Ben (even marino) also had more career passing attempts than he did. That's actually crazy to me Marino has that many attempts, given HIS era he played in. Ryan and Stafford also had a significant portion of their careers in an era beyond Eli where passing exploded even further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Everyone ahead of him other than Big Ben (even marino) also had more career passing attempts than he did. That's actually crazy to me Marino has that many attempts, given HIS era he played in. Ryan and Stafford also had a significant portion of their careers in an era beyond Eli where passing exploded even further.
He's been retired for 1 year, not 10. And if you want to bring up him only playing 4 games his final season tt was because he dropped to .500 for his career and would have just gotten worse. Less attempts than Rivers sure. But also Passer rating 11.1 points lower, 4.6 percent less completion percentage, .8 Y/A less, 1.1 AY/A less, a 1.5/1 TD/INT ratio compared to slightly better than 2/1 ratio for Rivers, etc. He's significantly worse.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

“My vision for the offense really fits Justin and what he can do well,” Staley said. “Creating a system for Justin and uniquely shaping it for his skill set, because he is unlike anybody in the NFL.”

Certainly what you want to hear from a new coach, now if he can actually do that is another story I'll be tuning in for

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The difference being, and it matters to most voters, is Eli has 2 rings, and Rivers has never even been to the big game
It matters they were against brady too. if lebrons only ring was against the 73-9 warriors it would matter (i understand the diff between lebron and eli stats, before we start this derail)

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Worf

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Certainly not the worst idea, at least for a start

• 2Like

Merrith

He's been retired for 1 year, not 10. And if you want to bring up him only playing 4 games his final season tt was because he dropped to .500 for his career and would have just gotten worse. Less attempts than Rivers sure. But also Passer rating 11.1 points lower, 4.6 percent less completion percentage, .8 Y/A less, 1.1 AY/A less, a 1.5/1 TD/INT ratio compared to slightly better than 2/1 ratio for Rivers, etc. He's significantly worse.

I think the .500 thing is less of a thing than they were ready to move on and see if Daniel Jones is the answer for them long term (after all, for all the hand wringing over Haskins in Washington, the Giants used a much higher pick on Jones). Also Ryan and Stafford are still likely to play for another 5ish years (maybe shorter for Ryan, longer for Stafford potentially).

I never argued he was better than Rivers. I only pointed out why Eli will get more weight (again, potentially). 2 rings and both against Brady. Question will be do voters like Rivers accumulated stats but never even making a Super Bowl versus Eli's less stats but 2-0 in SB's.

Merrith

I guess a better question to pose is which guys from the group of Big Ben, Eli, Rivers, Ryan, and Stafford would we consider for the Hall of Fame? This is assuming that Ryan and Stafford continue their careers and move up the passing rankings as they will for another 3-5+ years.

Personally, Ben is the only one of that group I think should be a lock for the Hall. I'm not sure I'd put any of the rest of them in.

Eli will probably be the worst statistically in the end, but with 2 rings against Brady. There's a pretty good chance Ryan passes Rivers in both passing yards and TD's in another 3 years (passing yards in less). Stafford if he plays 5+ has a very good shot to pass Rivers in passing yards, although he's 139 TD passes behind him so he'd need to stay closer to 30 TD's a year than 25 for 5 more years to catch him.

At this point, though, Rivers/Ryan/Stafford have only 1 SB appearance amongst them, and that doesn't have the look of changing. Ryan did have an MVP and the 1 Super Bowl appearance from that group, so he might have the best shot of those 3.

If I was going to guess who eventually will get in, Ben for sure, Eli probably...and maybe Ryan. Rivers might get in but shit will be pretty crowded with better QB's ahead of him. Stafford would have to add some playoff success and continue to accumulate stats for another 5+ years to have a shot.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
rivers was a GOOD quarterback, never a great quarterback...it is the hall of fame not the hall of...good

how many Probowls did he get into because the OTHER 2 quarterbacks backed out.

how many yards in garbage time did he get.

how many plays were blown to make them lose the game

Eli is the same thing, good not GREAT- even with 2 SB's he rode the coatails of good Defenses,,,and luck, he was LUCKY that holding was not called on the helmet play, if you look at any replay seymour was held. not by 1, but by 2 giants.... but alas, history doesn't favor the pats for that game.

as for Ben R...he is arguably better qualified than EITHER of the other two mentioned above, but even he is a tier two QB.

recently- past 10 years excluding the new guys
top tier QB:

Rodgers- first ballot
Brady...ya GOAT
Brees- first ballot
Wilson

next tier:
Ben
Rivers
Ryan
Stafford
Watson

next tier
Eli
allen- improved A LOT this year...might move a tier up he was not that good last year
carr
cousins

Sterling

El Presidente
I guess a better question to pose is which guys from the group of Big Ben, Eli, Rivers, Ryan, and Stafford would we consider for the Hall of Fame? This is assuming that Ryan and Stafford continue their careers and move up the passing rankings as they will for another 3-5+ years.

Personally, Ben is the only one of that group I think should be a lock for the Hall. I'm not sure I'd put any of the rest of them in.

Eli will probably be the worst statistically in the end, but with 2 rings against Brady. There's a pretty good chance Ryan passes Rivers in both passing yards and TD's in another 3 years (passing yards in less). Stafford if he plays 5+ has a very good shot to pass Rivers in passing yards, although he's 139 TD passes behind him so he'd need to stay closer to 30 TD's a year than 25 for 5 more years to catch him.

At this point, though, Rivers/Ryan/Stafford have only 1 SB appearance amongst them, and that doesn't have the look of changing. Ryan did have an MVP and the 1 Super Bowl appearance from that group, so he might have the best shot of those 3.

If I was going to guess who eventually will get in, Ben for sure, Eli probably...and maybe Ryan. Rivers might get in but shit will be pretty crowded with better QB's ahead of him. Stafford would have to add some playoff success and continue to accumulate stats for another 5+ years to have a shot.
Of this group Ben is the clear 1. Rivers and Ryan are the next tier, with Eli and Stafford behind. Ryan and Stafford are likely to play a decent number of years more so we'll have to see where they end up. Of the group Eli throws the shortest passes for the lowest completion percentage and at the worst TD/INT ratio of the 5. On a per game basis Rivers stats are closer to Rodgers than Eli is close to Rivers for everything but TD/INT ratio.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Eli, Flacco, Johnson, Dilfer, Simms, Rypien, Hostetler, and Wilson are my favorite examples that a bad QB can win with a great team. He was truly terrible most of his career in a passing era.

• 2Picard

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Eli Beat TOM BRADY in the Super bowl after TOM had won 18 straight games
Kept the GOAT from Perfection is HOF worth for me!

THEN he beat Tom again in the big game.

66% of the GOATS super bowl losses can be contributed to Eli.

Give that man a seat at the HOF next to his bro.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Eli, Flacco, Johnson, Dilfer, Simms, Rypien, Hostetler, and Wilson are my favorite examples that a bad QB can win with a great team. He was truly terrible most of his career in a passing era.

that last one.....

• 2Worf

Merrith

I can buy Wilson being not nearly as good a QB when he won his ring as he has been the last few years.