NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Great point - its very presumptuous for someone like Watson who hasn't really had that much success yet to be dictating terms to an organization. But then again, that organization is dysfunctional and allowing him to dictate terms. The owner is really setting a shitty precedent by signaling he'll undercut his staff's decision making for a star player - thats going to make it tougher to hire a good GM in the future. Because smart GMs will not want to work for that kind of boss
Huh? What decision did he make that Watson wanted? The reason Watson is so salty is that he didn't entertain Watson's ideas on head coach and hired the GM without talking to him about it. He *wants* his input valued but the owner didn't care. Just really confused what you're thinking here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'd do just like Arians in both cases. He's old and wanted success before he dies. With Brady, why not let him do the work? Plenty of people want Watson to decide who's GM, HC, who plays there, etc, etc. With that kind of standard for a guy who has never accomplished anything in the NFL, I'd let Brady play HC whenever he wants. Why not?
Hell Brady has more NFL experience than most of these young coaches people are hiring these days. Dude is the jewel of your franchise and a proven commodity. Do what ever he wants. That was Belichicks problem. His ego would not allow for Brady to not be treated like a rookie. That shit stops being acceptable after a few superbowls.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Huh? What decision did he make that Watson wanted? The reason Watson is so salty is that he didn't entertain Watson's ideas on head coach and hired the GM without talking to him about it. He *wants* his input valued but the owner didn't care. Just really confused what you're thinking here.

Didn't Houston also pay some agency like $600k to line up GM candidates for them, and they basically at the last minute were like "yeah, not going with any of those guys"?

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yea I was hoping he would fall in the draft. Kid was a stud in college at Iowa.

TB has been killing it in the draft. Its the ultimate blueprint if you cant draft high for a QB. Pay whatever to get your QB, then build through the draft at key positions before you have to pay them a fortune on their 2nd contract. Gives you a 4-5 year window before guys like White, Winfield, Wirfs, etc all have to get paid.

This is essentially how the Seahawks did it, minus getting super lucky on their QB instead of having to pay for one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Didn't Houston also pay some agency like $600k to line up GM candidates for them, and they basically at the last minute were like "yeah, not going with any of those guys"?
Because the firm was completely racist. Don't leave out that part.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Instead they should have sett expectations with the player such as "We value and love your input, but you're still our employee" would have helped to not give the player such a big head thinking that he'd be the decision maker for hiring moves. Sometimes setting the expectation that the player is valuable, but not valuable enough to run your business, might help later in not having that player be pissed because you didn't pick their guy.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

I'd say the no trade clause was a decision that exclusively benefitted Watson and is unheard of in the NFL. Who knows what else he's demanded behind closed doors. I'd also say Culley was one of the weaker candidates for HC and they did interview Bieniemy, who once again bombed another interview. He doesn't want his opinion valued at this point. He *demands* his input to have overwhelming value. I think you're confused at what Watson's job is and so is he. I hope his financial advisors are better than his football ones.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

I'd say the no trade clause was a decision that exclusively benefitted Watson and is unheard of in the NFL. Who knows what else he's demanded behind closed doors. I'd also say Culley was one of the weaker candidates for HC and they did interview Bieniemy, who once again bombed another interview. He doesn't want his opinion valued at this point. He *demands* his input to have overwhelming value. I think you're confused at what Watson's job is and so is he. I hope his financial advisors are better than his football ones.
Other players have no trade clauses, so it's not unheard of and is starting to become more common...

"Other notable players whose contracts include no-trade clauses are Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes, Buccaneers QB Tom Brady, Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, and Cardinals receivers Larry Fitzgerald and the aforementioned Hopkins"

I mean, he had zero input on Culley. They fired multiple people from the old staff after that hire who weren't hired by Easterby and that Watson supposedly liked. Your assertion that they've bowed to Watson doesn't hold up at all.

You can think he should have no input and that's fine but you can't make the claim that the "owner is really setting a shitty precedent by signaling he'll undercut his staff's decision making". Sounds like you made that claim without really knowing what you're talking about. Easterby is in control and, if anything, has only solidified his control this off season

Last edited:

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Other players have no trade clauses, so it's not unheard of and is staying to become more common...

"Other notable players whose contracts include no-trade clauses are Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes, Buccaneers QB Tom Brady, Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, and Cardinals receivers Larry Fitzgerald and the aforementioned Hopkins"

I mean, he had zero input on Culley. They fired multiple people from the old staff after that hire who weren't hired by Easterby and that Watson supposedly liked. Your assertion that they've bowed to Watson doesn't hold up at all.

You can think he should have no input and that's fine but you can't make the claim that the "owner is really setting a shitty precedent by signaling he'll undercut his staff's decision making". Sounds like you made that claim without really knowing what you're talking about. Easterby is in control.

Good data on those clauses. Definitely and unfortunately wrong on that.

McNair didn't set a precedent on bad owner decisions but I've never seen a QB dictate who will be HC or GM before. Lets be clear. This is what he's doing at this point. You can play word games if you want but we both know this was a power play to make franchise altering decisions for at least a few years. That's not his job or his right.

They didn't bow to Watson but it didn't look like Bieniemy or Culley would have been interviewed without his bitch-fit. This was a guy who signed a no trade clause with BOB making all the decisions. He shouldn't be making decisions for an organization and neither should Easterby. That's the owners call tho

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The owner apparently said he could have input, it’s stupid and unprecedented but if that what he promised then took it away of course Watson is going to feel betrayed by an untrustworthy employer. Couple that with what McNair allowed BoB to do to this team and it looks like a toxic incompetent organization. Any wise employee would be smart to do anything he can to remove himself from a situation that is bound to fail.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having your QB trying to dictate franchise operation seems intelligent. Texans are a dumpster fire.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
More changes in Houston

down in the replies:
Et4LajNXcAUjDPZ.jpg

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Actually I thought the firm had a couple minority candidates on their list, then the team was like "nope" and that was part of what pissed Watson off. Also why waste $600k on a firm if you're just going to do what you want anyways

• 2Like

DickTrickle

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but one of their suggestions was Omar Khan, a minority. They also were the ones who helped get Charlie Strong hired at Texas.