Pacific Rim

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Trying to make the movie make "sense" underscores how retarded the public has become.

While I like most of my movies, and the characters therein, to make sense, Pacific Rim's only quality check was the amount of GIANT MOTHERFUCKING MECHS fighting GIANT MOTHERFUCKING MONSTERS. It passes that check handily.

Try to imagine your 10 year old self watching this movie. Would 10 year old you enjoy it? Yes.
Basically this.

Watched this again with some friends last night. We were cheering and shit. Fun times.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You were cheering at a movie? What are you a bunch of fucking neanderthals? YEAAH MOVING PICTURES WOOO!! CLAP!

It makes sense that you'd enjoy this piece of dogshit, the only redeeming quality of this movie was big fucking robots beating up big monsters. Every other aspect was absolutely mind numbingly bad. The suspension of disbelief can only go so far. I can deal with building massive robots that require two pilots for some reason to read each others thoughts. Even using a boat as a bat, I can do that. But some shit ... REALLY A FUCKING WALL? YOU THINK A FUCKING WALL IS GOING TO KEEP THE FUCKING MONSTERS OUT? THE MASSIVE FUCKING THOUSAND FOOT TALL MONSTERS COMING FROM A OUTER-DIMENSIONAL RIFT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN? YOU'RE GOING TO BUILD A WALL TO STOP THEM? No. Sorry. Shit fucking writing.

Dipshits could have just given the big robots guns. Evidently swords pierce them pretty well (even though only 1 sword existed in the whole movie). I imagine a bullet would do just fine.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the only redeeming quality of this movie was big fucking robots beating up big monsters.
taken out of context, this sounds sarcastic. but when you read your entire post it just sounds like you have anger problems.

the only redeeming quality of this movie is that it delivered exactly what it set out to deliver. giant robots fighting giant monsters. the number one concern going into this movie is that the scenes were going to be too dark and obstructed with rain, waves, buildings, whatever. but even though these things COULD have easily happened, they didn't. there isn't a single scene where you are left going, "i don't visually understand what is happening." in a monster film, that is brilliant.

the fact that people are complaining about the story, the acting, the character development is simply because the areas that the movie set out to do, it did incredibly well. if you don't like this movie, or these kinds of movies, that's perfectly acceptable, but you are left to complain about ancillary issues if you are looking to detract from the movie. which, again, is fine. whatever floats your boat... just... no one in the history of the world every held their nose up at the acting at Ghidora, the Three Headed Monster! or Ultraman, or ANYa kaiju film. there's no point. it's like making fun of someone who's mentally handicapped and calling them stupid. you can, and you'd be right. but what's the point? intelligence is not their gifting. Retard-Strength is.

Edit: also, the reason why people are hating on prometheus more than pacific rim is because pacific rim was designed to be a dumb film. i don't mean that negatively, i mean it's simplistic and it goes exactly where it's aimed. prometheus was designed to be a smart film. it was designed to be thought-provoking and enjoyable on several levels. so, they are right out of the box 2 very different films. the problem with prometheus is that it was fairly insulting to the audience. "listen, we are going to have all the REAL meaning hidden underneath several layers of story and exposition that you have to hunt to appreciate. But we're going to layer that brilliance under a bunch of idiotic characters that have no business being anywhere near this discovery. And we're going to do that becuase the audience is dumb and they need people to relate to in order to enjoy movies.

at least, i'd rather that be the case instead of ridley scott being completely unable to create a cohesive story. i know he's brilliant, and has had PLENTY of success in story making... which means i have to go with hubris.

Pacific Rim on the other hand has no deeper meaning really. there are clearly some pretty vapid characterizations going on, but again. it's not trying to be this ultra-realistic film where poor characterization is disingenuous to the film itself.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Picked up the DVD yesterday and did a blitzed rewatch. We laughed our ass off the entire time. If you don't take it seriously it's a great live-action over-the-top anime movie.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Wanted to reiterate just how much I love this movie's soundtrack

I think I'd put it right up there with some of my other favorite soundtracks like Predator, The Crow, 24 Hour Party People, Requiem For A Dream, etc.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
bah that is monster zero... Loved Godzilla movies when I was 10 every Saturday on channel56 was creature double feature...

Picked up the blue Ray liked the movie

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just adding, but the Crow had probably the best soundtrack that wasn't a Daren Aronovsky soundtrack containing lux aeterna. Dead Souls by NIN is my favorite soundtrack song -ever.- There is no competition: it simply wins

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just adding, but the Crow had probably the best soundtrack that wasn't a Daren Aronovsky soundtrack containing lux aeterna. Dead Souls by NIN is my favorite soundtrack song -ever.- There is no competition: it simply wins
dude get the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. you may change your mind.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Wanted to reiterate just how much I love this movie's soundtrack

I think I'd put it right up there with some of my other favorite soundtracks like Predator, The Crow, 24 Hour Party People, Requiem For A Dream, etc.
The soundtrack was indeed beast. It really meshed with the scope of the action; it was big, plodding and uplifting.

Watched the movie again. My god, this is THE scifi movie of the generation. To me, sans the gore and titties, this is Starship Troopers 2013. I shudder to think what a hard R Pacific Rim could look like.

The part where the Russian, Chinese and Australian jaegers go down, and the fight with Gipsy Danger following it is sublime.

Question, if in the second one the Kaiju come back in jaeger suits, are we going to expect Macross/Robotech? IIRC, weren't the Zentradi fucking huge AND in mechs?

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
I probably listen to the instrumental Dead Souls by NIN everyday. Check out the instrumental for Deep if you haven't already.

I'd argue the original Dead Souls from Joy Division is quite possibly the best song ever written.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
elba.png

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
dude get the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. you may change your mind.
Haw, I've had that CD since I was like 14. (I think)

It's a strong Soundtrack, but for 1994 and The Crow? It isn't even comparable. The Crow's soundtrack perfectly encompasses the time, the feel of the movie, and everything about it. Hell, at times it seems the movie was written around the soundtrack, not the other way. MK can't really claim that, in my opinion. Like always, just an opinion. That happens to be fact, in this case~

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Haw, I've had that CD since I was like 14. (I think)

It's a strong Soundtrack, but for 1994 and The Crow? It isn't even comparable. The Crow's soundtrack perfectly encompasses the time, the feel of the movie, and everything about it. Hell, at times it seems the movie was written around the soundtrack, not the other way. MK can't really claim that, in my opinion. Like always, just an opinion. That happens to be fact, in this case~
ill give you that one. every scene in the crow that had music behind it, felt like it was meant to be there even the badguys had cool music. been a while since ive seen the crow, think ill check it again tonight. Mortal Kombat is a more incredible soundtrack IMO, but the movie is so cheesy and lame that the badass music doesnt match it very well.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
MK holds up remarkably well. The Crow... is a set piece, that if you weren't a part of that scene/culture at the time, means very little. The soundtrack, for those of us that were able to differentiate music at that time-frame (most of my friends were pop-listeners, not into grunge/metal/sludge) holds a very special place because of the time-frame it encompasses. The sequels, and I'll give City of Angels a pass because of Hole appearing on the playlist, were lackluster at best. The discussion, though, is about the soundtrack. And the Crow has the strongest soundtrack of any movie ever, -if- you were born in the early 80s or late 70s. Always a caveat.

Goatface

funny i was just listening to the Judgement Nightsoundtrackwhich came out the same year as the crow. for the life of me, don't remember how or any of the music was used in the film, but as a soundtrack i liked it better. this coming from someone that was a huge crow fan.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was 21 when i went to see the crow and the for the next 5 halloweens afterwards i would see at least 4 or 5 Eric Dravens every year at parties and bars. it became sort of a joke with my friends. who can spot The Crow. i think south park even spoofed the phenomena.

Oldbased

> Than U
I don't know why people keep bashing the wall idea in PR. It is something exactly as stupid as current world leaders would come up with as a solution to that type of problem.