Pacific Rim

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
giant dildo taped to a telephone pole to symbolize how ghey this movie will be

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok so make giant maces or hammers. Anything is still going to be more effective than punching the fucking things.
Why? It's not like it's actual bare hands. If you are using rocket propulsion for blunt impact there's less variables doing it from wrist to fist than with an extended weapon. Especially if you're relying on pilots using "real" fighting techniques.

I for one can't wait for the best movie of the summer filled with the most believable action on the big screen in the last five years. You faggots nitpicking it should probably dedicate less time to e-thuggery and more time to your ball-fondling technique. The Japanese businessmen will probably tip better, dicksippers.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why? It's not like it's actual bare hands. If you are using rocket propulsion for blunt impact there's less variables doing it from wrist to fist than with an extended weapon. Especially if you're relying on pilots using "real" fighting techniques.

I for one can't wait for the best movie of the summer filled with the most believable action on the big screen in the last five years. You faggots nitpicking it should probably dedicate less time to e-thuggery and more time to your ball-fondling technique. The Japanese businessmen will probably tip better, dicksippers.
Simmer down cocksucker, I think the movie is gonna be awesome. Doesn't change the fact that a hammer is more effective than punching someone. And a rocket assisted hammer is more effective than a rocket assisted punch.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Simmer down cocksucker, I think the movie is gonna be awesome. Doesn't change the fact that a hammer is more effective than punching someone. And a rocket assisted hammer is more effective than a rocket assisted punch.
And less accurate and more prone to breaking. And since it's rocket powered the leverage of an extended weapon is fairly meaningless. You're basically shooting a blunt rocket at them, there's no reason to add more variables and angles.

Rocketfistpunch is probably the most logical anti giant acidblood alien seamonster defense ever conceived. Frankly I'm surprised our scientists didn't come up with it themselves.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
And less accurate and more prone to breaking. And sinceit's rocket powered the leverage of an extended weapon is fairly meaningless. You're basically shooting a blunt rocket at them, there's no reason to add more variables and angles.
Citation. (Just gravity on the arc downward, given equal thrust, should add a ridiculous amount of power to the mass in question, if my high school physics on the anatomy of a hammer swing.)

Also, the only reason this is brought up is not because we saw him rocket punching. It's because we've seen three times where they grab some shitty, hollow, object and attempt to use it as a weapon. If they are using a tanker as a weapon to increase force, it pretty much makes your claim that a club would be less effective than punchingtotal bullshit. Unless he was just destroying a multi-million dollar tanker to show off.

That's the problem. If the story had a self contained consistency, even if it was some bullshit like "even though we have super adavanced computers that can link human minds to control robots--I'm afraid the extra calculations in swinging a hammer are too great compared to throwing a punch!" (Yeah, think about that)--as long as it wasconsistentin the movie, it'd be fine (Annoying, but you'd be a faggot to nit pick it).

However, it's not. Storage Cars, Tanker ships--these fuckers are desperate for weapons. So why wouldn't they construct some titanium weapons with carbon plating? What? Is the tanker going to be STRONGER than something actually constructed to deliver the kind of forces we are discussing?

rrr_img_34050.jpg

Certainly didn't seem to have any problems hitting him with this. And if his punches were more effective...why use this? My nitpick jimmies are MAD rustled bro.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
instead of trying to do mental gymnastics why not just say

"hey, this is a movie where a director wanted giant robots to fight giant monsters. Logic, physics, common sense be damned."

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
instead of trying to do mental gymnastics why not just say

"hey, this is a movie where a director wanted giant robots to fight giant monsters. Logic, physics, common sense be damned."
Because like Prometheus, I'm fine with a movie not making sense by our world. Feed the audience some shit about punches being awesome? Fine. It doesn't make sense, but in the movie world it's consistent. Whatever. But feeding the audience that shit, and then showing actions where highly trained pilots (Considering there are 10 world wide? I assume they are) disregard that information and use physics/logic that make sense in our world? (IE a third class lever accelerates mass on the end of it to a greater degree that the input can accompish!) Not fine.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Because like Prometheus, I'm fine with a movie not making sense by our world. Feed the audience some shit about punches being awesome? Fine. It doesn't make sense, but in the movie world it's consistent. Whatever. But feeding the audience that shit, and then showing actions where highly trained pilots (Considering there are 10 world wide? I assume they are) disregard that information and use physics/logic that make sense in our world? (IE a third class lever accelerates mass on the end of it to a greater degree that the input can accompish!) Not fine.
Prometheus made perfect sense.

Bladefury

N00b
I think it's about suspension of disbelief only going so far.

Maybe the mech designer was like, make a warhammer? Screw that, ROCKET PUNCH IS COOL.

Big O anime kind of did that, although I don't believe his was rocket powered, but piston powered punches.

In the end though, just because giant mecha are fighting giant monsters, our brains just don't want to refuse that gravity and physics still exist.

spronk

FPS noob
One interesting thing about this movie is how there aren't any big AAA movie stars in it: no Cruise, Hanks, Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Damon, etc. Instead its a bunch of well loved TV actors. I'm going to see it at least once on opening weekend, hopefully it blows every other summer movie out of the water and Hollywood Studios stop greenlighting shit like WWZ/After Earth/Oblivion/etc just because it has a big movie star name attached to it.