Parent Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Easter and none of my kids are with me. I hate holidays for that reason. (when they aren't with me anyway)

Even my step son who was supposed to be here, I made a basket for last night and was looking forward to seeing him in the morning and seeing his reactions and what not. Well hes 11 and before his mother and I woke up his father texted him and picked him up to take him our for breakfast and spend the afternoon with him before our dinner tonight.

My wife and her ex have a good relationship and frankly, hes a great guy and this isn't something that would be crazy unusual most of the time, they dont have a set schedule and no child support is paid either way as hes with him or us an equal time. We have outings in the summer together, pool parties and all that, it's pretty cool really.

But it really bothered me this morning. -sigh-

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't let that stop you from offering sage advice on child rearing!

BEAT THE DEVIL OUT OF THOSE LITTLE FUCKS, YOU WHORE BREEDERS

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oldest started being really sneaky lately. I'm guessing it's a phase. The other day he was real quiet. Went to his room and all.his unopened toys (he gets so many we Dole them out) are stacked behind the chair in his room and I catch him red handed pulling a giant box with train set out of his room. He told me because he's 4 now he earned them.

Went to my mother's and he was clasping his hands together tight and I asked why and he said he was a ninja. He was trying to steal some jewelry.

Today wife was talking to someone and he was quiet. She found him hiding in a corner eating ALL THE JELLY BEANS.

he will tell me "daddy you can't look at me right now" and he's sneaking something.

Just beesn this past week since he turned 4

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Oldest started being really sneaky lately. I'm guessing it's a phase. The other day he was real quiet. Went to his room and all.his unopened toys (he gets so many we Dole them out) are stacked behind the chair in his room and I catch him red handed pulling a giant box with train set out of his room. He told me because he's 4 now he earned them.

Went to my mother's and he was clasping his hands together tight and I asked why and he said he was a ninja. He was trying to steal some jewelry.

Today wife was talking to someone and he was quiet. She found him hiding in a corner eating ALL THE JELLY BEANS.

he will tell me "daddy you can't look at me right now" and he's sneaking something.

One of my kids this this exact same thing. Lasted a brief time, we consistently stayed on her about not lying. Eventually it stopped because she didn't like being sneaky (her words).

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Be careful, if you don't end that behavior now he could wind up as President of the United States of America.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Alright friends, so I want to start an investment account for my niece who is turning 1 on May 11th. After some initial research it seems like a UGMA or UTMA is the way to go as it acts as a gift that I am the custodian of until she comes of age and is a true investment account that I can open through Vanguard. Anyone have any experience with these or know of potentially better alternatives?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Do you want just an investment account or for something specific like school? If school look at a 529 plan. It's tax deductible and can be used for k-12 or college.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I want something she can use for whatever she wants, with my and her parents guidance.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My daughter, 26 months, is a massive pita when we need to give her medicine. She only drinks water or milk. Nothing else, she can smell the faintest trace of meddling with her drink so impossible to give her that way. So we were told to use suppository or a pipette to give her paracetamol, but she's struggling so much that even the 2 of us together we fail most of the time. It seems to be somewhat unusual because doctors / pharmacists look at me puzzled when I explain our problem, especialy since my daughter is bottom 10% in size/weight... So at first I thought, maybe I'm just weak or we do it wrong.

But yesterday she felt on a corner of a wooden ikea baby chair, and her chin opened a few centimeters. So we bring her to the hospital to patch her, she needed 3 stitches. After 30 minutes of struggle the doctor + 2 care assistants had to give up because they couldn't hold her, after some consideration they brought in an extra 2 people from the psychiatric emergencies to help them hold her... So there were 5 people to hold the 23 pounds baby, she struggled another 20 minutes before they finaly managed to stitch her. The doctor that was sweating after the ordeal was like "WTF, never saw anything like that in my career".

Fortunately, it's now possible to have limited negociation with her, not to the point of "let that doctor stitch you" but maybe next time she's got a serious fever I can negociate her taking her med, else I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've done brazilian ju jitsu for many years. The most practical mileage I got was restraining my kids to administer medicine and trim their nails.

MG-arm-trap.png

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My 2yr old daughter is top 5 to 10 percentile range, 38in 32lbs. If she doesn't want to get into the car seat, I can't make her until she gives up.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
It's their strong will that does it. My daughter is 3 and 50% for height, 17% for weight. The last time she had to get Tylenol while at day care it took 4 people to give it to her. If she doesn't want to do something, it's on. She's also got a set of lungs like Mariah Carey in her prime.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
ETA for #2: 3 days. Assuming no ridiculous 70 hr labor this time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users