Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Agile Manuevers, Evolved Companion, Power Attack, and Shaping Focus are pretty good feats you should look into.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
This game is way more fun when you create your own party. I'm running the tower shield paladin and sword and board fighter for defense. Then a grenadier and sword saint for offense. Then the ecclesthurge for heals and sorc for buffs. It's not op or anything but a shit ton of fun controlling.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The fixed the companion stat thing, sort of. If you select the animal companion and hit c it should bring up it's character sheet. It was in the patch notes today
oh, sweet. i actually haven't played that character in a few days. i'm not sure if i'll go back to her? i don't know we'll see

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Halfling tank build:

Knifemaster Rogue 4 / Monk 1 / Fighter X

Gear:

- unique +2 dagger that gives a +3 dodge bonus to AC.
- +1 mithral full plate
- unique helm that gives you +2 attack when fighting defensively.

Feats:

Improved unarmed strike, dodge, weapon finesse, crane style, crane wing, crane riposte, weapon focus, combat expertise, outflank, accomplished sneak attacker, cautious fighter.

AC: 10 + 1 (size) + 3 (dex) + 10 (armor) + 4 wand of shield (use magic device from rogue), +4 dodge (1 from feat, 3 from dagger), +2 combat expertise, +6 fighting defensively, +2 deflection, +4 crane wing (until an enemy misses you by 4 or less).

46 AC or so by level 7.

+16 to hit without buffs. +4d8 sneak attack damage

So is the exact order you level up Rogue 4 >> Monk 1 >> Fighter until 20?

Also how does Unarmed Strike work with the Knives? Not sure how that Monk stuff factors in ...

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So is the exact order you level up Rogue 4 >> Monk 1 >> Fighter until 20?

Also how does Unarmed Strike work with the Knives? Not sure how that Monk stuff factors in ...
Some of those feats you don't take, you just get. Weapon Finesse you get for Rogue 1, Improved Unarmed Strike you get for Monk 1. You're mainly just getting Monk for Flurry of Blows (since it's better than two weapon fighting early, I wonder if it stacks with two weapon?) and a bonus feat to use on Crane Style

I'm going to try it and see what I think. I'll likely go Rogue 1 > Monk 1 > Rogue 3, then see if I want to dabble in fighter a bunch of feats, better armor, and better BAB. I could see taking 1 Fighter at level 4 just for Armor reasons.

Edit: 2 Nevermind armor reasons, dex bonus is a thing, probably R1>M1>R3>F

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm pretty sure flurry of blows only works on unarmed strike unless the weapon actually states it is a monk weapon that allows FoB. The best weapon for monks (more like Unchained Monks) which is unlikely to ever get into a game is:

Blade of the Sword-Saint – d20PFSRD

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Rusty on my D&D 3.5 rules, but read up a bit on why this build works:

-Rogue to get Weapon Precision (Dex for melee not Str), Daggers, Sneak Attack
- Monk to get Wis bonus to AC feat
- Fighter for HP, BaB, Weapon Specialization

So you only need 3 stats Dex, Wis, Con and you buff everything important:

- Dex: +hit, +damage, +AC, +Reflex Save
- Wis: +AC, +Mind saves
- Con: +HP, +Fort saves

So it will be high HP, high AC, high Saves vs all, while doing really nice damage (but certainly not ludicrous damage like a pure Rogue who cannot tank).

With how much easier flanking is in this game, only requires 1 other friendly on the target, no position/facing required, your Sneak Attack will spam like crazy.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Because of the flanking-is-ridiculously-easy-thing, accomplished sneak attacker should be taken as early as possible. Not 100% sure but I think it actually gives a bigger bonus than it should too.

On the flip side, AC is pretty pointless unless you go for absurdly high numbers or play with the enemies set to "weak" (which is actually more-or-less equal to core PnP rules). On normal and above even many trash mobs have ridiculously high BAB due to the strange balancing the devs opted for here. If you want more survivability--and arguably the best offense without doing super-cheese like that 115d6 ray build on reddit or whatever--your best bet is to use a bunch of summoners.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since I only just did the saving Oleg's place fight and see that every custom character is going to cost me 2000g, how long am I looking at before I can realistically add an entire team? And will they start off with the same level and xp that I have, since I have that xp sharing thing turned on?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You kind of screwed yourself unfortunately. The trick is to not level at all prior to completing the initial stuff at Oleg's. Then you can buy hirelings for 500gp (and it's bugged, you only really get charged 100gp unless they fixed that in yesterday's patches). Only downside is they are also L1 and have 0xp while you're at 2000+ because you hit L2 a while ago and just haven't done the level-up process. 2000xp isn't that much in the grand scheme of things though.

I think it goes up to 5000gp if you level again btw. Not 100% on that, just what I read. I haven't been back to the hireling elf since I got mine at L1.

You could 'cheat' if you wanted to I guess. The savegames are just compressed archives that can be opened with 7-zip or winrar and then you can give yourself 10000gp for hirelings by editing a json file. Again, haven't tried it personally, but I see people talking about doing it on reddit a lot.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, I could easily do it all again if I had to, or just reload a previous save where I hadn't chosen any skills at all. If that doesn't work, I'll look into editing the file. Thanks for the info!

Seems kind of ridiculous though. It is like they knew they had to put the ability to make your own party in there so people wouldn't go apeshit, but if you want to do it right from the start they made it nearly impossible to do legit. Seems like that's one of those settings they could have included when you chose your difficulty level; you MUST make your own party members once you reach Oleg, but you need to be familiar with the Pathfinder system, are you sure?

j00t

lvl 1 custom companions are 500g. lvl 2 are 2000g, lvl3 are 4000, lvl 4 are 6000. i don't know if it just keeps going up by 2000g every level after that, as i've gotten all the party members i need by lvl 4 at the latest. i HATE my characters being all spread out exp wise, so i did my best to hire them AS SOON as i hit a new level, so they are all within 500exp, so i can deal with that.

that build, dipping into monk just for the AC from WIS seems wasteful to me. you miss out on a level of your main class, plus you have no other need for wisdom (other than saves). you can dump all your stats into dex and con. the points you put into wis for the AC bonus you can just put straight into dex for AC and hit and damage (as a rogue with finesse weapons).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone here done any save file edits?

I'd really like to edit my custom companions to the same xp as my normal guys, because it's aids that it isn't

j00t

naw, i thought about it. i looked around at cheat engine stuff for changing feats around... i was COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the differences in dnd feats vs pathfinder feats, so i built a two-weapon fighter on the premise that i could make an aldori defender run solely off of dex. but finesse doesn't work like that. at first i want to just give my weapons agility but couldn't see a way to do that, and then i thought about just transfering over feats... slashing grace and dueling swords are all messed up because even though the feat doesn't state it, slashing grace ONLY WORKS if you have the specific sword in ONE hand. so no dual wielding, no sword and board. just a sword in one hand and nothing in the off hand. except, when you DO put a sword in one hand and nothing in the off hand, the character holds it with two hands.

anyway, when i finally got everything i needed to to finally figure out my character concept was fubar from the start, i was thinking about just adding the appropriate feats and stat changes to make it work...

but then i thought... it might actually be less work to just start over. which it was. my new character is amazeballs. two-weapon fighting is amazing. i'm doing 1d8 + 13 with my main hand and 1d8 + 12 with my off hand at level 5. i also have a +9/+8 to hit. i was REALLY concerned my hit would be too low to make it work but i thought, no, i want an old dude who dual wields longswords because why the feck not? and i'm absolutely unconcerned with my accuracy.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm

I'd really like to edit my custom companions to the same xp as my normal guys, because it's aids that it isn't

The save games are easy to edit. The saves are just renamed .zip files and files that you need to edit inside are text files in JSON format. Companion exp should be in the party.json file.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

I can't say that I know everything that would be involved in editing the xp for your characters, but it was dead easy to edit my gold.

First, find the save file that you want to modify. It is located in C:\Users\SamDaMan\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games. I install Steam games on my D drive, and the saves were still on C, so I'm assuming they would still be there for everyone else, but obviously check around if it isn't.

The saves will be numbered and literally named whatever you called them in game, like Manual_8_Oleg_s_Trading_Post___16_Gozran__IV__4710___11_52_09.zks if you didn't modify the default name. Easiest way would be to go in game and make a new save so it comes up looking like Manual_8_Edit_XP_Here.zks or whatever. (Manual just means manual save, Auto obviously auto save.)

Make sure you back it up, of course. Assuming you have 7zip or WinRar installed, open the archive with that. Now, the one I needed to edit was player.json, but it is likely that companion xp might be in party.json. Pull a copy of that file out to work on. Open it with something like Notepad++. I suggest a program like that vs. standard Notepad or Wordpad because it deals with keeping formatting and such a whole lot better.

For gold, I had to try various search terms, but eventually I found "money" was what I wanted. It looked like this: "Money":258, (with the comma). I literally just added a 10 to the front so it now said 10258. Notepad++ took care of making sure the formatting was correct (maybe there wasn't any to worry about, but I'd rather not risk it). Then save the file, and then drag it back into the archive you have open. Tell it to overwrite the existing file. Close out the various programs just in case it causes write issues having it open, and load the game up.

Obviously for xp, you're going to have to look for something else. I opened up party.json and searched for "experience" and that seems to be what you want. You'll also find a "GiveExperienceOnDeath" variable but you can skip that one. I didn't see any obvious way to tell which character is in which section, but since it gives a number after "experience" I'm assuming you could just figure out what your main character has in terms of xp, and then change every single occurrence of "experience" to the same number. You might be modifying ones not in your actual party too, but you probably don't care about that much.

Anyway, hope that helps. I haven't specifically done it with xp, but now that you've brought it up I might make everyone match too (once I actually figure out what I want my party to consist of). If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a further look at it.

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
I went the cheat engine route to add some exp to a custom character to get it caught up and fudge some gold into the coffers. I'm far from well versed with cheat engine but if I figured it out, pretty much anyone here should be able to.

Half assed instructions:
Download the latest Table from the post in thread: Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Steam) - Page 2 - FearLess Cheat Engine
Fire up the game then start cheat engine. Load the game from the open processes menu then load the table you downloaded from the link above.

A bunch of crap will populate the window at the bottom of cheat engine. Click the checkbox beside the stuff in green (it gives descriptions of what you are clicking and is pretty straightforward as to what to do), then click the checkbox beside characters to open the character options.

To modify characters make sure you open the character screen of the character you want to monkey with and the values for that character will populate their respective fields. Just change the values to what you want, quick save and reload the game and the values will be in place. Dont get too carried away, giving someone like 300 str will break the game.

For instance I created my custom character, loaded cheat engine, opened the character sheet and changed her exp total to 20,000, saved and reloaded and the character had instantly gained 20k exp and was able to be leveled up accordingly. Those guys on the cheat engine forums are crazy complex with the modifications you can do but it was all a bit too complicated for me beyond adding exp and gold.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I can't say that I know everything that would be involved in editing the xp for your characters, but it was dead easy to edit my gold.

First, find the save file that you want to modify. It is located in C:\Users\SamDaMan\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games. I install Steam games on my D drive, and the saves were still on C, so I'm assuming they would still be there for everyone else, but obviously check around if it isn't.

The saves will be numbered and literally named whatever you called them in game, like Manual_8_Oleg_s_Trading_Post___16_Gozran__IV__4710___11_52_09.zks if you didn't modify the default name. Easiest way would be to go in game and make a new save so it comes up looking like Manual_8_Edit_XP_Here.zks or whatever. (Manual just means manual save, Auto obviously auto save.)

Make sure you back it up, of course. Assuming you have 7zip or WinRar installed, open the archive with that. Now, the one I needed to edit was player.json, but it is likely that companion xp might be in party.json. Pull a copy of that file out to work on. Open it with something like Notepad++. I suggest a program like that vs. standard Notepad or Wordpad because it deals with keeping formatting and such a whole lot better.

For gold, I had to try various search terms, but eventually I found "money" was what I wanted. It looked like this: "Money":258, (with the comma). I literally just added a 10 to the front so it now said 10258. Notepad++ took care of making sure the formatting was correct (maybe there wasn't any to worry about, but I'd rather not risk it). Then save the file, and then drag it back into the archive you have open. Tell it to overwrite the existing file. Close out the various programs just in case it causes write issues having it open, and load the game up.

Obviously for xp, you're going to have to look for something else. I opened up party.json and searched for "experience" and that seems to be what you want. You'll also find a "GiveExperienceOnDeath" variable but you can skip that one. I didn't see any obvious way to tell which character is in which section, but since it gives a number after "experience" I'm assuming you could just figure out what your main character has in terms of xp, and then change every single occurrence of "experience" to the same number. You might be modifying ones not in your actual party too, but you probably don't care about that much.

Anyway, hope that helps. I haven't specifically done it with xp, but now that you've brought it up I might make everyone match too (once I actually figure out what I want my party to consist of). If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a further look at it.

Yeah I got it last night. Apparently I was doing it right but didn't close 7-zip so the game couldn't open the save, lul. Custom companions feel a lot better in the early levels when they aren't 2500 xp behind.

It's tempting to cheat in other ways like gold, especially because when you get to the kingdom stage the build points are just too fucking rare, but I'm going to try not to until I've finished a few runs. Editing the xp just feels like "this is how it should have been"

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm not going to do anything but give myself enough gold for a custom party and then level out my xp like that.

I have, however, spent half my morning looking for appropriate pictures for custom character portraits for my party! The default choices suck ass. Not as bad as they do in Bard's Tale IV (you made an elf? sweet, here's 3 androgynous pics, 1 for melee, 1 for mage, 1 for maybe rogue-ish? oh you fucked up and picked the same one for two characters and now can't tell them apart? sorry, can't change them ever!), but they still don't have all that many options.

Still have to decide my full party composition, but that's what work hours are for, right?

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I have, however, spent half my morning looking for appropriate pictures for custom character portraits for my party! The default choices suck ass. Not as bad as they do in Bard's Tale IV (you made an elf? sweet, here's 3 androgynous pics, 1 for melee, 1 for mage, 1 for maybe rogue-ish? oh you fucked up and picked the same one for two characters and now can't tell them apart? sorry, can't change them ever!), but they still don't have all that many options.

Here are some nice ones (Steam Forum Post)

[Mod] Adding 120+ new high quality portraits to the game! :: Pathfinder: Kingmaker General Discussions

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users