Rerolled Pen and Paper Gaming Group

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_48977.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Messed around with the macros after we were done, and found out how to make them roll the skill die and the wild die, with aces, and only output the best result. For example, if your skill is a d10, the macro would look like this:
I tested it several times, and got one to ace 3 times so it definitely works correctly. You can also add any text you want into the macro, so for example mine says:
Claw Attack (d10)
<dice macro from above>
which will show everyone exactly what skill I'm rolling and what level it is at.

I have no idea how to use the character journal though. Mine has some random terrorist sounding name, and I can't change it. I put some attributes in, but I have no clue how to do anything with them. Perhaps it is just for record keeping? If so, I'll just stick to a sheet of paper. I couldn't see any way to save my token either. I'll find a more suitable token for next week anyway, but hopefully you don't have to keep creating them every week. There has to be a way to save them.

Really enjoying this so far, thanks for getting this going Himeo.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Two weeks in. I'd like some feedback so I can improve as a GM. If you don't feel comfortable doing that publicly, send me a PM.

What do you like about the game?
What do you not like about the game?
How can the game be more fun?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Two weeks in. I'd like some feedback so I can improve as a GM. If you don't feel comfortable doing that publicly, send me a PM.

What do you like about the game?
What do you not like about the game?
How can the game be more fun?
I'll try, but I don't know how useful I'll be.

I like the choices you give us at the beginning, of which adventure we want to go on. That's awesome, as every other GM I've ever had pretty much pointed us in one direction and if we deviated too much he was already in uncharted territory. You have multiple adventures ready to go, with advantages and disadvantages to taking each of them, and that's something I've never had before. I also particularly like how each adventure will have a lasting effect on our group and the world around us, with advantages, hindrances, etc.

I can't really say if I like or dislike much about the system itself yet, because I'm still too new at it. I like the fact that there is always SOME chance you can do something, based on a skill roll -2 that you could ace a few times and get really lucky. So you're not totally ass out if no one has a particular skill. But other than that, I just don't have enough experience to even guess yet.

Honestly I think the biggest thing is that we, as players, need to step it up a bit. I think that will come with more familiarity with the system and each other, but for now there's a lot of silence when (at least to me) it is fairly obvious we should be doing something pretty standard and basic. But I know I don't want to just "take charge" all the time and possibly make others feel like I'm steamrolling them, and I would imagine everyone else is sort of the same way. And hell, some of us have fairly "dumb" characters when it comes to certain aspects of the game, so roleplaying-wise it doesn't always make sense for us to make the decision. I think that will get better with time as we get more familiar with each other. And I, for one, hope that someone will tell me to take a backseat if I'm talking out of turn or too often. I'd rather someone tell me to shut up than remain silent, and as a result be unhappy and not enjoying the game. It's all about fun for everyone, period.

I do think you (Himeo) have the patience of a saint though
tongue.png
You don't ever seem to get rustled or exasperated with us being retarded, so I have to give you a lot of credit for that.

The only other thing I can think of is that Vaclav has got to get his microphone situation figured out! Please don't take that comment the wrong way, but I can barely tell what you are saying half the time, and I think you're a little afraid of that fact and don't talk as much as you could. You're clearly a smart dude, so I'd love to have you talking and coming up with ideas constantly. I don't know if it is the fact that each of you has a microphone close together or what, but would using just one maybe fix it? I'm assuming your computers are near each other. My mic is about 10 feet away from me, so I'm hoping there would be some place you could put one between each of you maybe? Unless of course they are both headsets, then forget I even said anything. I know you've tried all kinds of settings, and I'm not an expert on this at all, but just trying to throw out ideas, because I really want to hear what you have to say.

Along those lines, please let me know if there is anything I need to change on mine. If I'm too far away and hard to hear, or too loud, or you can all hear me scratching my balls...whatever.

Honestly though, I'm really enjoying the game so far. It has tons of potential, and I really think Himeo is doing a great job of making it something vastly different than most games I've ever participated in with the multiple options, rewards and penalties, etc. I can't say for certain what I think of the system yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. I do kind of like the fact that normal enemies are not overwhelmingly difficult like some games used to be. Like old D&D, if you were a level 1 magic-user and had cast your allotment of magic missiles, you were not only completely worthless but very likely to die if even one enemy got to you. This one makes me feel like I'm a cut above your everyday "level 0" npc, and I like that. Encounters can still be challenging, particularly with wild card bosses, but one minion isn't likely to kill somebody while we're all young and weak.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. If you want to know more about anything in particular, just ask.

Vaclav

Yea, might need to go with a cheapass desk mic/webcam for both her and I to share and just run with that with one of our speakers muted - still have no damn clue why hers comes out perfectly and mine wonky... while she's got the same headset, same OS, 99% of the same parts in her machine. (same CPU, different model and different video card and case are the only differences, period...)

And yes, PCs are close - use an enormous table to make a bench setup for both of us due to too many years of MMOing with her having ZERO direction sense... used to have formal desks on opposite sides of the room, the number of times I'd have to get up to see where she got lost got pretty astounding after a while... Heh.

Only complaint I'd have is the main book is so damn long of a read for someone that hasn't sat down and cover to covered a gaming book in decades - had missed that her Bolt spell is often going to be Shooting based, so didn't advise her on that creation goof for example. (Although reading the Weird Science section it's rather ambiguous if it's an "always" or a "usually" - they said a gun type apparatus that did it would absolutely be, she was thinking more of a gauntlet that harnessed it, like Chandra's from MTG or the Infinity Gauntlet from that comic timeline [and a bracery kind of thing for the Armor spell I believe was her take] - so not 100% sure where that would land on appropriate skilling)

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I want to know how it went!! (And Thor was great, so I don't feel too bad haha :p)
It went well. Cut it short again around three hours in. The group decided to take the harder savage tale and head into the Barrens to find a crystal for someone. In the process they were double-crossed by a street gang, survived a rune storm, avoided giant mecha lions and waste nomads, and found the crystal before being incinerated by an ancient ruin. Also they kind of started a gang war.

Your character was waiting at the hide-out / brothel, and at the start of the next session you'll meet up with them in the streets as they deliver the package to the quest giver.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am totally down for some Sunday evening pen and paper on the weekly.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It went well. Cut it short again around three hours in. The group decided to take the harder savage tale and head into the Barrens to find a crystal for someone. In the process they were double-crossed by a street gang, survived a rune storm, avoided giant mecha lions and waste nomads, and found the crystal before being incinerated by an ancient ruin. Also they kind of started a gang war.

Your character was waiting at the hide-out / brothel, and at the start of the next session you'll meet up with them in the streets as they deliver the package to the quest giver.
Awesome, just in time for the loots! Haha

Sounds like a lot of fun. Mecha lions omg!

Vaclav

The mecha lions really didn't involve much though. Completely sidestepped them really.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yea, might need to go with a cheapass desk mic/webcam for both her and I to share and just run with that with one of our speakers muted - still have no damn clue why hers comes out perfectly and mine wonky... while she's got the same headset, same OS, 99% of the same parts in her machine. (same CPU, different model and different video card and case are the only differences, period...)

And yes, PCs are close - use an enormous table to make a bench setup for both of us due to too many years of MMOing with her having ZERO direction sense... used to have formal desks on opposite sides of the room, the number of times I'd have to get up to see where she got lost got pretty astounding after a while... Heh.

Only complaint I'd have is the main book is so damn long of a read for someone that hasn't sat down and cover to covered a gaming book in decades - had missed that her Bolt spell is often going to be Shooting based, so didn't advise her on that creation goof for example. (Although reading the Weird Science section it's rather ambiguous if it's an "always" or a "usually" - they said a gun type apparatus that did it would absolutely be, she was thinking more of a gauntlet that harnessed it, like Chandra's from MTG or the Infinity Gauntlet from that comic timeline [and a bracery kind of thing for the Armor spell I believe was her take] - so not 100% sure where that would land on appropriate skilling)
I felt bad last night after posting, so I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I really want to have you contributing a lot because, as I said, it is clear you are a smart dude. I hope I didn't sound like a dick or anything. If I did, please accept my apology.

As far as the whole shooting/gadgets thing, if Himeo is ok with it (and the rest of the party), I am completely fine with allowing you/her to modify her character slightly now that you know how it will work. As long as it is just a couple of slight changes, whether it be adding a shooting skill or changing which spell she chose, or something similar that doesn't drastically change her entire character, I see no reason for that not to be allowed. I'd rather you guys tweak it slightly than have her not wanting to use her character the way she envisioned it because she doesn't have the right skills, or her rolls would be next to impossible.

If she is envisioning a gauntlet/bracer type shooter, and she needs a shooting skill for that, let's allow her to lower another skill or two and add shooting. Or something similar, depending upon what makes sense and what she wants. I don't imagine it would have made a lot of difference in how our first adventure turned out (and we actually would have had it easier if she could have shot some of those dudes on the second level), and it wasn't something she was really aware of at character creation time. So I'm all for a slight tweak to make it more fun for her. What do you guys think?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I've always been a big proponent of letting players make a bit of a "respec" after the first session or two, in order to make some adjustment after seeing the game and group in action. Especially on a new system.

I must say, I had some reservations earlier in the day Friday but didn't get around to really consider or make the change. I think I would have been better off going "Elderly" instead of "Youth" to help us fill in some handy Knowledge-type skills which we seem to lack. It's probably flesh out the character a bit more than a 12 year old priest hanging out in a brothel
biggrin.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As long as Himeo is ok with it, I am fine with people tweaking minor things before we really get rolling.

I don't think I need to make any changes to mine, as he's already pretty limited. He kills shit, scares shit, and gets hit, period
tongue.png
Anything more than that, hopefully you guys have that covered!

Although it seems I'm going to have to take a "see in the dark" edge sooner than anticipated if we keep forgetting to bring torches
tongue.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have been thinking, since Laura took Curious as a Hindrance too, it doesn't really work too well with both of us having it. We'll both constantly be seeing who can touch/examine something first. So I'm thinking of using my back story and changing Curious to Enemy (Major). It would be those Demon Lords I stopped working for, who probably aren't too pleased about that. It makes sense for my character, and gets away from us both being Curious now, but I'd like your approval because it is something you have to feel you can work into your campaign, otherwise I'm just getting a free Hindrance for the most part. What do you think Himeo?