Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I remember hearing about the sterilization via gene alteration.

Moral concerns are low for me but I get not wanting to jump to insect genocide.
Ecological reproductions are definitely the larger concern. Though I recall reading/hearing about some study where they tried to figure out what the impact would be. They weren’t able to find anything that I recall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think I was making the assumption that if we were to go to the (monumental?) trouble of producing a genetically altered mosquito, it would be a solution that's at least an order of magnitude more effective than current ones.

If we have to frequently reintroduce the genetic vector, isn't that somewhat similar to just spraying? I'll admit, I don't know how much horny mosquitos get around. Maybe the coverage area of a fertile mosquito is much larger than spraying.
I’m fairly sure they already created modified mosquito

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think I was making the assumption that if we were to go to the (monumental?) trouble of producing a genetically altered mosquito, it would be a solution that's at least an order of magnitude more effective than current ones.

If we have to frequently reintroduce the genetic vector, isn't that somewhat similar to just spraying? I'll admit, I don't know how much horny mosquitos get around. Maybe the coverage area of a fertile mosquito is much larger than spraying.
The delay in activation of the genes seems like the key. Naturally occurring diseases have (so far) either been pretty minor or very hard to spread - the ones that kill effectively are hard to spread or else they'd end their hosts. An artificially made disease (thats what this is) that waits 50 generations before it gets activated? And we can re-infect the survivors with it afterwards? It would be a bloodbath.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm no expert but I imagine it'd be similar to the vaccine industry. A constant arms race of creating new armies of genetically modified mosquito bombs. They enter a mosquito population, wipe out some species within a certain area, die out and that space is filled by another species of something. The goal is to target species that are likely to carry certain diseases. So you theoretically end up with a safer mosquito population.

Kind of like how we spray weed killer on our lawns. We don't end up with a landscape that has no vegetation on it, we end up with a landscape with grass that won't give us malaria.

Personally I'd be happy with going a few extra steps further and using any means necessary to eradicate any worthless ass mosquito even if it meant genetic bombs being deployed in my backyard every month.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The mosquito eradication plans are pretty far along in terms of trying different approaches.

In this thread people have expressed curiousity how engineering a less fit mosquito would work, supposing that they'd just be outcompeted by the more fit wild relatives. Its a reasonable objection. The strategies they're trying are a bit more complex than that.

They're generally sex specific. For example, approaches include
  • Rearing and sterilizing large numbers of male mosquitos which then mate with wild mosquitos resulting in no offspring.
  • Modifying the genes so that distorted sex ratios (almost all male) are produced.
  • Modifying the bacterial symbiont Wolbachia (present in all mosquitoes like most insects) so that crosses between mosquitoes with wild-type Wolbachia and modified Wolbachia produce no offspring.

Only the first of these relies on repeated introductions, the others can lead to self sustaining declines in the populations.

Good info here if anyone wants to read more

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The mosquito eradication plans are pretty far along in terms of trying different approaches.

In this thread people have expressed curiousity how engineering a less fit mosquito would work, supposing that they'd just be outcompeted by the more fit wild relatives. Its a reasonable objection. The strategies they're trying are a bit more complex than that.

They're generally sex specific. For example, approaches include
  • Rearing and sterilizing large numbers of male mosquitos which then mate with wild mosquitos resulting in no offspring.
  • Modifying the genes so that distorted sex ratios (almost all male) are produced.
  • Modifying the bacterial symbiont Wolbachia (present in all mosquitoes like most insects) so that crosses between mosquitoes with wild-type Wolbachia and modified Wolbachia produce no offspring.

Only the first of these relies on repeated introductions, the others can lead to self sustaining declines in the populations.

Good info here if anyone wants to read more
"the others can lead to self sustaining declines in the populations" has that been accomplished in a way that lowers overall mosquito population? The article you linked is from 2016, but I don't know how much the tech has moved in the last decade. From the CDC link: Genetically Modified Mosquitoes | CDC. "When GM mosquitoes stop being released into an area, the Ae. aegypti mosquito population will slowly return to “normal levels.”".

I don't think a genetic bomb that leads to self-sustaining declines in overall mosquito population is possible. Genetically bombing a specific species that is known to carry disease to reduce the prevalence of that species seems totally feasible, but a self-sustaining reduction of all mosquitos in an area seems way beyond that.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1686193972660.png

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
TIL the Carrington Event was a nothingburger compared to its big brother the Miyake event
Since then, more “Miyake events” — characterized by sudden, single-year leaps in the concentration of carbon-14 in trees, as well as beryllium-10 and chlorine-36 in ice sheets — have been confirmed in 7176 BC, 5410 BC, 5259 BC, 774 AD, and 993 AD.

Miyake events exhibit significantly greater intensity than the solar or stellar events that could have triggered the Carrington event in 1859. “Those two scintillating days in 1859 are barely a blip,”
But remember, the Carrington event was relatively minor. Faced with a surge of high-energy particles characteristic of a Miyake event — one powerful enough to leave its mark in the rings of trees — the induced current would flood the thousands of satellites that encircle Earth, crippling them for months and possibly years. Power grids would topple immediately, leaving anything reliant on electricity, like lights, electric vehicles, and ventilators, inoperable.
Some researchers doubt we will understand what causes Miyake events until we can directly observe and measure one using scientific instruments. This is a fate we would obviously like to avoid. And in the event, we would lose the data almost as soon as we received it.
That last line is profound. I considered putting this in the Ancient Civ thread. Its not clear that a technological society could survive one of these events, and if it did, its survivors would almost certainly be left with no record of the event. Other than perhaps as a myth passed down orally over generations.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That last line is profound. I considered putting this in the Ancient Civ thread. Its not clear that a technological society could survive one of these events, and if it did, its survivors would almost certainly be left with no record of the event. Other than perhaps as a myth passed down orally over generations.
We do have the advantage of knowing simple tricks that don't require power, yet help immensely with civilizations.

On the topic of cultural knowledge, the movable type printing press is pretty much there to stay. It's one of those inventions that, once explained, everybody facepalms and says "how could nobody have thought about this". Unless you have an event that kills 99% of the population, everywhere, any semi-developped survivor group can make wooden printing presses and keep knowledge in print. We'd lose a lot, sure, but it's almost impossible to lose all. First hand summaries of the event? They'll be there.

• 2Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
We do have the advantage of knowing simple tricks that don't require power, yet help immensely with civilizations.

On the topic of cultural knowledge, the movable type printing press is pretty much there to stay. It's one of those inventions that, once explained, everybody facepalms and says "how could nobody have thought about this". Unless you have an event that kills 99% of the population, everywhere, any semi-developped survivor group can make wooden printing presses and keep knowledge in print. We'd lose a lot, sure, but it's almost impossible to lose all. First hand summaries of the event? They'll be there.
Counterpoint: Some people only communicate with tiktok and the number is growing. What if they win? What if they hate your machine they don't understand or the scribbles you draw?

A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz_cover_1st_ed.jpg

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Counterpoint: Some people only communicate with tiktok and the number is growing. What if they win? What if they hate your machine they don't understand or the scribbles you draw?

View attachment 477536
even here - a text based forum - we've gone from literate arguments written out in text to literally just a place for people to post tiktoks. We used to have Lithose posts. Now we have one fucking tiktok after another. (Somebody is gonna come in an object, hey we also post youtube!)

our grandchildren are not going to be literate in the sense we think of the word, unless civilization falls between now and then.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
even here - a text based forum - we've gone from literate arguments written out in text to literally just a place for people to post tiktoks. We used to have Lithose posts. Now we have one fucking tiktok after another. (Somebody is gonna come in an object, hey we also post youtube!)

our grandchildren are not going to be literate in the sense we think of the word, unless civilization falls between now and then.
tldr-read.gif

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

counterpoint:

snNAbnN5KtJfUlJmbIWpPDe1KcE56W3YhwAM9pvxs-w.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As an aside, I would support a forum feature that would integrate the literacy test results from the PIAAC into the forum and show a badge (or armband) in a poster's profile.

I'd wager that a good chunk of the morons that post about the imminent breakdown of our society would get trapped somewhere around Level 1

Level 1
176–225 points
Most of the tasks at this level require the respondent to read relatively short continuous, noncontinuous, or mixed texts in digital or print format to locate a single piece of information that is identical to or synonymous with the information given in the question or directive. Some tasks, such as those involving noncontinuous texts, may require the respondent to enter personal information into a document. Little, if any, competing information is present. Some tasks may require simply cycling through more than one piece of information. The respondent is expected to have knowledge and skill in recognizing basic vocabulary, determining the meaning of sentences, and reading paragraphs of text.

• 3Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what the minimum level is to be a functional member of society and how that has changed over time as technology increased.

Everyone being able to like and subscribe is not the same as everyone reading Animal Farm in middle school.

The study I linked was for at least a 6th grade reading level. Is that what they consider the bottom? Why that level and not another? Is the chart for the same level? They seem to contradict each other.