Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

I think we're almost there boys.
On reddit they're claiming the first "replication" just says it's theoretically possible, and the second replication just show dielectric in the LK99, which indicates what they're saying, but doesn't show superconductivity specifically.

I'm not saying it's false because Reddit and I don't know the facts, I'm just saying don't go too crazy just yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
On reddit they're claiming the first "replication" just says it's theoretically possible, and the second replication just show dielectric in the LK99, which indicates what they're saying, but doesn't show superconductivity specifically.

I'm not saying it's false because Reddit and I don't know the facts, I'm just saying don't go too crazy just yet.
Yeah, I'm waiting for a major publication to throw up an article before I bang pots together on the deck and terrify the neighbors.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm waiting for a major publication to throw up an article before I bang pots together on the deck and terrify the neighbors.
Yea, Chinese replication is "less than conclusive" (it's China, fake it until you make it is a way of life in academia), but at least we've got western institutions working on it.

Of course, there's things like the Harvard Prez scandal, where they take the same picture, zoom it a little bit, label it "one hour later" and pretend that their miracle molecule has "visibly grown" the neuron in-between (I kid you not, you can even do a "spot the seven differences" and fail to find enough). But pretending to replicate another's discovery will not net you a nobel, so there is less incentive there.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
cujkzzf5jjfb1.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
huge if true and IF you can make a lot of this into "wire" relatively inexpensively.
that will be the true challenge...mass production. just because it works "small" scale doesn't mean you get a lot cheaply
and can it be done in powerful enough wires to be avail for consumer. right now it is doing millivolts? milliamps? of power. we need these to be able to do 100's of volts 24/7/365

claims oh we can save 3 nuclear power plants worth of energy a year if all was switched..well that is the problem.
all switching, how many hundreds of thousands or millions of miles of wire/conduit this would be needed?
in new york city alone there are almost 6 thousand miles of roadways, each needing electricity lines to service each building. just doing major transmission lines would require probably around 100 thousand miles of this stuff. and it would take DECADES to do it all.

i see this stuff first coming out in SMALL electronics and then ramping up to larger electronics over time- again if this works and is about cost wise the same as copper....

Last edited:

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have you met MFF? Going too crazy too soon is kind of his thing.
I long since ignored him, as I was getting frustrated watching someone on "our" side post so much retarded shit.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I long since ignored him, as I was getting frustrated watching someone on "our" side post so much retarded shit.
Brother, we've been posted retarded shit for over twenty years now.

• 1Rimshot
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Concrete is a cheap material you can use lots of to build things. What if instead we make it a highly precise carefully engineered structure created layer by minute later so that you can use it as batteries. The down side is that now it’s really expensive, hard to make, and also it has the minor trade off that it becomes structurally unsound.

I’m sure engineers will fall right in love with this one. Maybe we can build some strong female bridges over our gay solar roads.

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone done a retrospective on these types of "breakthroughs"? It feels like we are batting single digits over the past half century.

What's the most recent one? The internet? Human genome sequenced? Though I don't know if that has really led to much.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone done a retrospective on these types of "breakthroughs"? It feels like we are batting single digits over the past half century.

What's the most recent one? The internet? Human genome sequenced? Though I don't know if that has really led to much.
There’s made up breakthroughs all the time. I prefer when I find them in the fiction section.

Cybsled

Concrete is a cheap material you can use lots of to build things. What if instead we make it a highly precise carefully engineered structure created layer by minute later so that you can use it as batteries. The down side is that now it’s really expensive, hard to make, and also it has the minor trade off that it becomes structurally unsound.

I’m sure engineers will fall right in love with this one. Maybe we can build some strong female bridges over our gay solar roads.

While the road thing isn't very likely for the US (there are too many roads), one thing that is an active area of research is cheap power storage for things like wind or solar. Basically same concept as Elon Musk's powerwall stuff w/o the lithium based batteries

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
While the road thing isn't very likely for the US (there are too many roads), one thing that is an active area of research is cheap power storage for things like wind or solar. Basically same concept as Elon Musk's powerwall stuff w/o the lithium based batteries
Oh, I'm not saying that its terrible as a concept, but why not just use batteries, instead of an overly expensive concrete that holds less power/area and can't be used for anything but light construction? At some point just stacking lifepo batteries is smarter... And there's a lot of damn lithium on earth. Perhaps you meant without the cobalt?

Either way, an all EV future is a long way off. It's just not smart to go insanely all in, and global warming is largely overblown retardation to begin with, so at some point the realists will win out and realize a balanced approach to minimizing people's impact is the smarter and more truly sustainable path, but sure will be some growing pains and lessons in discovery on the way for those that want to just try and ban cows, gas, and all petroleum products.

Cybsled

If you were just powering a single home, I would agree. Although for something more municipal size, they've been looking for cheaper means of storing excess energy produced by things like solar or wind so they can continue to power the grid when they hit periods of suboptimal or loss of power generation. And at that scale, normal batteries are going to be incredibly expensive.